Anyone here living in Astoria Oregon?. Im thinking of moving there..

mash4077

Okay so I was just curious to see if there is anyone on this forum who lives in Astoria Oregon.

I am currently living in utah, been here 33 years but I am really getting bored of it.

I am thinking of moving to Astoria Oregon. No other city in Oregon just Astoria. I am sure there are many other nice places to live in Oregon but Astoria is where I would go.

First question. I heard they do have an LDS church there. Is that true?. Are there any good activites for single LDS adults over 30 there?. Good jobs out there?.

If there is any other things that you could tell me about it I would be greatly appreciative.

P.S. How often does it snow?. Hopefully not often.

Thanks in advance.:)

My x was from there and it is a beautiful place to visit for sure but is also a very small town with a lot of seasonal activities that go on. Portland is only a couple hours away which is a big place to visit and it also has one of the best Thai food places to eat I have ever been to. They have a HUGE 4th of July celebration up on the hill with a huge fireworks show, but as far as work goes there is work but it is a lot of manual type labor stuff in the fishing industry, and yes there is a ward there. As far as singles go there were not tons of them there just due to the size of the town, but if you are comfortable living in a small town with small town type people and having to drive quite a distance to get to bigger towns and you don't mind living somewhere that rains almost non-stop all year long and only has a summer season for a few weeks a year, it's the place for you.

Depends on the season, but it's right at the tip of the spear where storms come down out of the Bearing Sea so it does not rain non-stop but it rains more then it doesn't rain. Because of that everything is green and lush and the summers when it does not rain are absolutely beautiful.

I love the Astoria, Gearhart, Seaside, Cannon Beach area. There is a ward in Astoria and I know there is another in Seaside. Its a beautiful area. The people are very friendly. The first year I went up I was lucky enough to meet someone I had been chatting with online.

I haven't lived there year-round but have vacationed there for 2-weeks at a time mostly in September. I prefer sweatshirt beaches to bikini beaches. :)

If I could live along the northern coast of Oregon I would in a heartbeat.

Best wishes on your move!

I've been through there too. About the only time you don't expect frequent rain are July and August. Other than that, it's wet. Very nice area though. Wouldn't be my first choice of places to live on the coast, but still nice.

Oh, and as for snow.....you might see snow that sticks around for a maximum of 24 hours every other year or so. For the most part, it's just rain.

Many of the houses there are Victorian. It's very picturesque. But your singles scene will be very minimal to say the least. Might want to wait until you marry to settle there.

I've been to the ward there. It's a good size family ward... bigger than I thought it would be. Quaint LDS chapel that looks like it was built in the '50s. They were very friendly & welcoming.

The coast line near there, as others have said, is fantastic. Dark sand and breathtaking boulders like Haystack Rock. The Goonies house is there, too.

I live about 60 miles north ... do yourself a favor ... look at Long Beach, WA ... way less taxes! WA does not have state income tax(we have sales tax on everything except food so everyone pays) and the property taxes out in Pacific County are way lower also!

The Pacific Northwest is FABULOUS! A little damp and cold just now but when we get sun it is heaven! We don't get rain all the time but we live with the rain as opposed to the alternatives (hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes)

but if you are comfortable living in a small town with small town type people and having to drive quite a distance to get to bigger towns and you don't mind living somewhere that rains almost non-stop all year long and only has a summer season for a few weeks a year, it's the place for you.

What the heck are small town type of people? You realize that this is a mobile society and people come from all over to all over, right?

distance from bigger towns Check

rains almost non-stop all year long Check

only has a summer season for a few weeks a year, Check

it's the place for you YUP! I've heard of Astoria and thought it would make a fine retirement location, but then I lived in Seattle for 5 years and loved the gray and the rain. Y'all can have my summer, I don't need it. :D

I grew up in Oregon and have spent allot of time on the coast surfing and kiteboarding. My parents have a place south of Cannon Beach in a tiny town called Manzanita. Astoria is a beautiful town and the ocean is right there. Im sure youve seen Goonies. Kindergarden Cop was filmed there too. :P

It does rain allot but when the suns out theres no place Id rather be. I live in Boca Raton Florida now but plan to return to NW if that tells you anything. As its been said, Portland is close so Im sure youll be able to get in some single adult activities, youll just have to drive. The wards are small on the coast but they balloon in the summer as tourist visit. Id move there. :thumbsup:

I grew up in Oregon and have spent allot of time on the coast surfing and kiteboarding. My parents have a place south of Cannon Beach in a tiny town called Manzanita. Astoria is a beautiful town and the ocean is right there. Im sure youve seen Goonies. Kindergarden Cop was filmed there too. :P

It does rain allot but when the suns out theres no place Id rather be. I live in Boca Raton Florida now but plan to return to NW if that tells you anything. As its been said, Portland is close so Im sure youll be able to get in some single adult activities, youll just have to drive. The wards are small on the coast but they balloon in the summer as tourist visit. Id move there. :thumbsup:

Yeah Goonies is the best movie ever.

Thats how I first found out about Astoria:).

Im really excited to go, I appreciate everybody helping out here I am glad to be a part of the LDS faith. There are great people always willing to help.

• 3 weeks later...

mmm this kind of gives me the idea of working on the Washington or Oregon coast for the summer. I built a shed using framing the same as a house. My first experience. Kind of liked it. I was even motivated to do it in the rain. Even on the coast.

I bet it is cooler in the summer on the coast the inland. What is the economy like on the coast now that the use is pulling out of a recession?

Also, watch Kindergarten Cop, then you will get a sense of what Astoria is like.