What would you do?

Suzie

For those that would never consider putting their teen out on the street within less than a mile of home to walk I have a question..... Do you allow your kids to walk, ride a bike, etc to friends homes that may be within a few blocks, to school, etc?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My view on some of these safety measures is the risk that parents are potentially handicapping their children's ability to take care of themselves. Sorry, truegrits, but is your 17-year-old aware of how to get around a city by himself if the need should arise? Would he feel confident and secure doing so?

Do these kids will safe and confident in the world? There are no more crazies about there than there were at any other time in history.

That being said, I believe in parental rights. I believe that parents know their kids and too young is too young.

But a kid in his late teens should know how to function in the big world. Otherwise you wind up with an adult lacking a healthy sense of risk assessment.

I think it all depends on the neighborhood. There are areas that I certainly won't let me kids out of the car no matter the age. We also need to take into consideration the maturity of the child and special circumstances such as medical conditions, disabilities, etc so really I think just because a child may reach teenage years, doesn't automatically mean he/she will be prepared IMO, some may take a little longer than others. I believe a concerned parent, will take everything in consideration before taking a decision.

I also believe a concerned parent will teach kids instead of just protecting them.

I have no problem teaching my children. However,I do not see throwing children, no matter the age, out of a car, as "teaching".

I see it as punishing them for bad behavior, most likely done in anger.

Not the way I would choose to "teach".

I see what you mean. I don't agree with throwing a kid out of car, but if I were close enough to home...

But I can't comfortably accept the idea that everyone in the world is out to get children. Most people are good, the world is safter than it has been in decades, and there is no reason kids can walk around in plenty of areas by themselves. It's harmful to tell kids they are stupid, naive, and unable to take care of themselves--which is the sentiment being expressed by parents who overprotect their kids.

But I can't comfortably accept the idea that everyone in the world is out to get children

I agree. I know there are more good people in the world, than there are evil ones. I, however, am not clairvoyant. I do not know where the abuser, pervert, raper, molester is going to be at any given time. So, I do not choose to throw my child out of a car, then drive away, as a form of punishment.

I also do not see that choice as being over protective.

It's harmful to tell kids they are stupid, naive, and unable to take care of themselves--which is the sentiment being expressed by parents who overprotect their kids.

LOL I wish you knew my children. They both are very bright, capable, confident, accomplished people. The 17 year old has flown, alone, to visit friends. He has spent several summers, in various states, on work/service projects. He is very excited about going on a Mission. (He wants to go to Japan :eek:)

So, do not assume that just because I would not choose throwing my children out of a car, as punishment, that I am guilty of over-protecting them to the point of stupidity, naivete, helplessness... incapable of functioning in society. Soooo not the case ;)

Edited by Truegrits
mistake/duplication

This story almost makes me rethink my position. The parents practiced for weeks so the boy could walk home alone like an adult. Literally makes me sick to my stomach.

It's a terrible story...

But I don't know if it makes me change my position. With all my heart and tears going to this family... stuff like this is the freak exception.

Backroads, just curious. Would you allow your 5 1/2 year old son walk alone (or along his 8 year old brother) to school? (a mile away) taking into consideration also he must cross two busy roads?

South Jordan mom cited for neglect for allowing child to walk to school | Deseret News

Considering I know quite a few moms who let their similarly aged kids do something similar, possibly.

In the cases I know, there is no other practical way to get the kid to school and crossing guards are stationed along those roads.

Considering the link you mentioned was already discussed to death on freerangekids blog and I considered all sides, I have nothing against this mother

This is such a sad story and my heart goes out to the family.

I am not a big proponent of "Free Range" parenting even though when I was a child brought up in the City, riding public busses, walking a mile to school and going to playgrounds to meet up with friends was relatively safe and they way things were.

It is only this most recent generation where children ride busses to school, wear helmets to skate or ride a bike and sit in car seats till they start school. Yet even with all this protection, there are as many of not more childhood injuries and deaths than ever.

In the case of the 8 year old Hasidic boy; it is very much a cultural thing to allow children to move about with independance within their neighborhoods. In a tight frum community as this boy lived in, the people do not think and live as modern as most people, and they tend to look out for each other. There is crime everywhere and anything can happen even in a tight knit frum community. Very sad but I would not place blame on parents here.