Teen Talk

StrawberryFields

I consider myself to be pretty well versed in the new slag of teens. The other day a friend of my daughters said that someone else called him a "poser". I smiled and nodded hoping to grasp the meaning from the entire text the he used but it just didn't come. Finally I said what is a "poser". I knew from the way he used it, it didn't mean that this other guys was a model or a poser of that sort. :lol:

A poser is someone who is trying to pull off something he isn't. Like if I were to wear something to make another think I was a rapper where I don't even listen to that music.

What are some of the words you have heard a teen use and needed an explanation?

I've been teasing my son about getting his hair cut. This is the first time he's been procrastinating about the hair and it's getting long so that his bangs cover one eye. His Grad picture for grade 9 had this look with one eye covered. Another fella in his class had all his hair covering his face except you could still see his mouth and chin. :wacko: My daughter describes this covered face look as "emo", a slang that describes this fashion and attitude style as "emotional". I don't really think my son sees himself as "emo" but it's fun to tease. :D

M.

My SIL works for an oral surgeon. After having her wisdom teeth pulled she was helping her patient to the recovery area. She told her young patient not to worry that she would go back and gather her thongs. Apparently, the look on the young girls face was priceless as she was checking to she that her underwear were in place. My SIL had to correct herself with the word flip-flops. :lol:

My SIL works for an oral surgeon. After having her wisdom teeth pulled she was helping her patient to the recovery area. She told her young patient not to worry that she would go back and gather her thongs. Apparently, the look on the young girls face was priceless as she was checking to she that her underwear were in place. My SIL had to correct herself with the word flip-flops. :lol:

I do that too out of habit - we're of that generation. :)

M.

I think the first time I heard PHAT (pronounnced fat) ((years ago)) was when one teen was talking about a pregnant woman and I thought "how rude is that?" So, I turned on him and said... "she's pregnant...not fat- there is a BIG difference". He laughed at me and said...."P-H-A-T Pretty Hot And Tasty" LOL I felt like a dork. :)

Ok here is a new one.

How is hanging out with someone of the opposite sex different than dating? :dontknow:

Just like playing with the neighborhood kids when your young... it's all innocent fun

Hanging out is just being friends doesn't matter if opposite sex or not. Friends are friends.

I found this informative slang dictionary... some of it's kinda funny. I particularly liked this one:

biscuits 1. Dirty, worn-out shoes. "Look at that boy's biscuits."

http://www.thesource4ym.com/teenlingo/

Yes, some of it could be offensive to some, but as an eventual parent of a teen, I plan to be 'up' on my lingo so that little will get by me.

Hey Shan,

A'ight, peep 'dis, before being outie, rollin on my new ghetto-fabulous 'All days' (and u know they’re all that and I’m not riding dirty!), let me holla at y’all and give ya the 411 before I go get krunk with some giggan. I'm straight ya Shan. No diggity! :D

A'ight, peep 'dis, before being outie, rollin on my new ghetto-fabulous 'All days' (and u know they’re all that and I’m not riding dirty!), let me holla at y’all and give ya the 411 before I go get krunk with some giggan. I'm straight ya Shan. No diggity! :D

Translation please! I do recognize some though. My husband says A'ight, and my daughter and her friends posed for pictures with a krunk look. That's 2 down and 47 to go. :P

M.

I found this informative slang dictionary... some of it's kinda funny. I particularly liked this one:

biscuits 1. Dirty, worn-out shoes. "Look at that boy's biscuits."

http://www.thesource4ym.com/teenlingo/

Yes, some of it could be offensive to some, but as an eventual parent of a teen, I plan to be 'up' on my lingo so that little will get by me.

Thanks Shan, I am really liken this site so far. VERY educational. ;)

this one is a bit scary though. :ahhh: If you leave the "S" of biscuits it mean a TOTALLY different thing. Either was one should stand clear away from either biscuit, or biscuits. :wow: :)

biscuit

1. n. Another reference for a gun. (See also hammer and tool.)

biscuits

1. Dirty, worn-out shoes. "Look at that boy's biscuits."

Hey Shan,

Thanks to my trusty dictionary, I know exactly what you're saying (except for 'All days').

I have heard that song 'Riding Dirty' recently and had no idea what it was talking about... now I do.

Peace out, Dawg!

Elder Dallin H. Oaks gave a great talk on Hanging Out versus Dating.

Handing out is when kids, boys and girls, girls or just boys get together at someones place or a gathering place and Hang Out.

Dating is when a guy calls a girl and arranges for them to go somewhere together as a couple, he pays, and it is not to just pick her up to go and Hang Out. :)

Ben Raines

Elder Dallin H. Oaks gave a great talk on Hanging Out versus Dating.

Handing out is when kids, boys and girls, girls or just boys get together at someones place or a gathering place and Hang Out.

Dating is when a guy calls a girl and arranges for them to go somewhere together as a couple, he pays, and it is not to just pick her up to go and Hang Out. :)

Ben Raines

That is exactly what she told me when I asked her the other day. Maybe she does listen to talks after all. :D