Please Help Me

ZorabelMay

[...]

I mean, what are we going to do when we are in the TEMPLE....

Shhh! We're not supposed to talk about the endowment ceremony. ;)

No LDS here will tell you anything specific about the endowment, nor will the LDS.org site.

There's at least one website that tells you about the ceremony and how it has changed over the years, but you'll have to find it on your own if you want to know, because I don't think a link will be welcome here.

Good luck.

Indeed and I am sure I am just one of several people on this site that has taught the Temple Prep class at some point or who have simply gone through itemple and who are willing to talk. Its keeping it in the proper reverent and respectful manner that such subjects deserve that is hard to do over the internet

There's at least one website that tells you about the ceremony and how it has changed over the years, but you'll have to find it on your own if you want to know,...

Well, isn't this not the best advice to give. If there is a website that gives that type of information, then they are stomping on everything sacred about the Temple. Why would I want to trust them if they are willing to do that.

Well, isn't this not the best advice to give. If there is a website that gives that type of information, then they are stomping on everything sacred about the Temple. Why would I want to trust them if they are willing to do that.

So then, I take it that, in your view, "everything sacred about the Temple," is it's secrecy? As I remember, the website of which I spoke gives the information in a very neutral, factual way. I don't remember any derogatory, or "snickering" comments.

I have never been this interested to go to the temple,

I know I need a Temple Recommend in going there,

I want to know what do we aim TO DO when we go to the temple?

I mean, what are we going to do when we are in the TEMPLE....

And how do we prepare ourselves?:o

ZorabelMay - the best thing to do is to take the Temple Preparation Class...it is an absolutely wonderful class, the instructors are very helpful & supportive, and it is a great way to get prepared for attending the Temple. My first time was an amazing experience and you just have to experience it yourself personally in order to truly appreciate the beauty and the purpose of the Temple.

Who is John Galt?

John Galt is a fictional character in Ayn Rand's novel Atlas Shrugged (1957). Although he does not appear in person until the last third of the novel, he is the subject of its often-repeated question "Who is John Galt?" and of the quest to discover the answer.

Guest gopecon

I'd also recommend talking with your bishop about your desires and questions. He can help you know what you need to do to prepare and what to expect when you get there. Outside of LDS.org, I'd stay away from internet searches about temple worship. No good can come from reading anti material about the temple before you go.

So then, I take it that, in your view, "everything sacred about the Temple," is it's secrecy? As I remember, the website of which I spoke gives the information in a very neutral, factual way. I don't remember any derogatory, or "snickering" comments.

Why is it that anything that is honored as being sacred and treated as such is labeled secret? I've had sacred spiritual experiences that I keep to myself. Am I keeping a secret? If one goes through the Temple and trot out the ceremony for all the world to see because they have an issue with "secrecy" have no understanding the sacred nature of it. Thus, they cannot give an accurate blow by blow description of the ceremonies with any authority, with any meaning and with 100% accuracy. Anyone who throws it out to the world is throwing the pearls before swine. Thus their motivation is questionable.

The Temple is a sacred and spiritual experience. You can't get that by reading it on a website.

Shhh!

We're not supposed to talk

No LDS here will tell you anything specific

I hate to be all disrespectful of my objectivist friend, but what a bunch of melodramatic, yellow-journalistic, overly-sensational hogwash. This sort of drama kept the X-files tv show going for season after season, and that was ok, but it really has no place when discussing temples.

We figure temples are sacred, and we speak about them in reverent ways. Kind of like discussing marital intimacy - you just don't go around blurting things out.

ZorabelMay - if you'd like to know a lot about temples, here are some resources.

MormonTemples.com - lots of info. Despite John_Galt_Lives' goofy claims, there's an article specifically on the Endowment ceremony.

The Holy Temple by Boyd K. Packer: 274 pages - written by an Apostle. You can pick up a copy for under five bucks on amazon.com - including shipping.

Temple Prep class - meet with your Bishop and let him know you want to know more, and see if there's a class for you to attend.

Happy learning!