Does every member need a calling?

Guest mysticmorini

Guest mysticmorini

The title says it all but I will provide a little background:

I moved to a new ward about 4 months ago and I have yet to receive a calling. I am not upset about this I just find it odd since it is such a small ward (around 50 sacrament attendance on a good week). That got me wondering, does every member need a calling? I know it probably only a matter of time before I get one but to be perfectly honest I am 100% happy without one.

I do seem to remember reading some church source that suggested that every member have a calling to help them feel needed, for me that seems a little disingenuous. What is your wards Philosophy concerning callings?

No, not really. I think there's less emphasis on the every member having a calling idea in the new handbooks. The principle I have taken from various trainings and such is that every member should have the opportunity to contribute in some meaningful way. That doesn't have to be a calling, but it could be an assignment, or simply being asked to help a family get to church.

More to the point, I think we tend to try to make every point of service in the church as 'calling' and try to describe it as an inspired calling from God. I think we'd do well to put less focus on every position being guided by inspiration and admit that some things just need to be done in order to ensure the ward functions smoothly. For instance, we have a building committee that coordinates all the cleaning, maintenance, and care to the building. I don't think any of them were asked to serve in this capacity out of inspiration, but because they had recently come out of time demanding callings and could use a rest, but also wanted to make a meaningful contribution. Having them serve in this capacity met all those criteria for them.

Guest gopecon

1) Pres. Hinckley's counsel about new members was that each one needs a friend, a responsibility, and nourishment with the good word of God. A responsibility is not necessarily a formal calling.

2) In small units where it seems everyone is busy, paradoxically it often takes a longer time to find callings for people. Leaders have to prioritize, so some callings that a larger ward would have are just not used in a smaller one. They get used to working with the smaller staffing that they have, so there are not necessarily immediate holes that need to be filled when people move in. I'm sure they will find something for you, but if you are concerned you can let the bishop/branch president know that you are available.

I remembering being college and receiving "fake" callings--any possible movement you could make in the church was a calling. I think that was merely to get us used to the idea of serving in the church.

If you do want a calling, though, I see no harm in asking.

Every member doesnt need a calling, but they may have one :) With this said, if you feel like you need one to help strengthen your testimony, you can always tell your bishop im sure he will be grateful to help you out :)

I moved to a new ward about 4 months ago and I have yet to receive a calling. I am not upset about this I just find it odd since it is such a small ward (around 50 sacrament attendance on a good week). That got me wondering, does every member need a calling? I know it probably only a matter of time before I get one but to be perfectly honest I am 100% happy without one.

I do seem to remember reading some church source that suggested that every member have a calling to help them feel needed, for me that seems a little disingenuous. What is your wards Philosophy concerning callings?

You mentioned you moved to a new ward. Has the new ward received your membership records yet?

Four months and no calling? There must be something horribly wrong with you. :)

Well, I joined the church when I was 11, and I'm 25 now and have never had a calling even though I've been in the same ward for 13 years. Another guy moved in there and a month later he was the Elder's Quorum President. So I just think our policy is one in which the leaders are inspired to pick those who may be best for the job.