Temple Ordinances & Jesus

Dr T

Hello all,

In another thread, Des said,

We believe that you need all of the temple ordinances(sp?) done before you can go to the celestial kingdom, and so we do it for the dead.. and I DO have scripture.....

1 Corinthians 15:28-29, but ofcourse reading the whole chapter might be best for understanding (if you have the spirit helping ofcourse, so pray first too).[sic]

This brought up a question I have. I'm sure this has been asked before and I'd like to know how it is resolved. Since there are rites of passage that need to be accomplished before progressing to godhood this bring me to a question about Jesus. Jesus is held up as a God in LDS teachings and I assume then, that He would have to accomplish all those ordinances as well. Do you see Him as became a god without accomplishing them? Being married in the temple for example might be one He did not accomplish. What are some others that are required that we do not know if He fulfilled? Thank you.

Dr. T

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello all,

In another thread, Des said,

We believe that you need all of the temple ordinances(sp?) done before you can go to the celestial kingdom, and so we do it for the dead.. and I DO have scripture.....

1 Corinthians 15:28-29, but ofcourse reading the whole chapter might be best for understanding (if you have the spirit helping ofcourse, so pray first too).[sic]

This brought up a question I have. I'm sure this has been asked before and I'd like to know how it is resolved. Since there are rites of passage that need to be accomplished before progressing to godhood this bring me to a question about Jesus. Jesus is held up as a God in LDS teachings and I assume then, that He would have to accomplish all those ordinances as well. Do you see Him as became a god without accomplishing them? Being married in the temple for example might be one He did not accomplish. What are some others that are required that we do not know if He fulfilled? Thank you.

Dr. T

Umm.. about merraige in the temple...

I will NOT expand on this at all, because it is not something I am told I am supposed to talk about,

but I would just like to state that I have reason to believe that he was married in the temple.

I do believe that God has a body of flesh and bone just as Jesus and God do aswell to help him aquire these ordinances..

I will NOT expand on this at all, because it is not something I am told I am supposed to talk about,

but I would just like to state that I have reason to believe that he was married in the temple.

I do believe that God has a body of flesh and bone just as Jesus and God do aswell to help him aquire these ordinances..

You can't talk about the ceromony, ok, I respect that...................But......can you tell us why you think Jesus was married!? :ahhh: (let alone in the temple)

Josh :o

You can't talk about the ceromony, ok, I respect that...................But......can you tell us why you think Jesus was married!? :ahhh: (let alone in the temple)

Josh :o

Jesus isn't married. I was talking about heavenly father!!!!!

:hmmm: someone was talking about him getting a bride at the second coming or something...

whatever.. he is not married...

Can't talk about the ceremony?

I am sure if I knew about it, I would be able to talk about it....

I.. just...

:hmmm: someone was talking about him getting a bride at the second coming or something...

I.. just...

Oh! I thought you meant Jesus, :lol: My bad!

God's "bride" thing is a medaphor too, "the bride of Christ..."

Romans 7:4; II Corinthians 11:2;

http://www.gotquestions.org/bride-of-Christ.html

http://www.barr-family.com/godsword/wedding.htm

Josh B)

I.. just...

Oh! I thought you meant Jesus, :lol: My bad!

God's "bride" thing is a medaphor too, "the bride of Christ..."

Romans 7:4; II Corinthians 11:2;

http://www.gotquestions.org/bride-of-Christ.html

http://www.barr-family.com/godsword/wedding.htm

Josh B)

I never looked into it...

Oh, and *metaphor

:sparklygrin: Correcting you felt good!

EDIT: Did you mean heavenly fathers bride thing?

Whatever you are telling me is not why I have reason to believe..

Three is speculation that he should have been married. In the Jewish faith only those who were married were allowed to teach in the temple. Also it is very common and almost unheard of for devout Jewish young men to not be married by their mid twenties. There is also speculation that the wedding feast referred to in the scripture was possibly Christ's wedding celebration.

I have not researched this in detail but have heard it discussed in classes on the New Testament.

These are only my opinions and not LDS doctrine.

Ben Raines

I'm afriad I have a confession to make................Spelling is not my strong suit. (my little sister (7) can spell better then me......... :blush: ) Josh B)

Josh, use the spell check - it is at the top of the screen, it is ABC with a check mark under it.

<div class='quotemain'>

I'm afriad I have a confession to make................Spelling is not my strong suit. (my little sister (7) can spell better then me......... :blush: ) Josh B)

Josh, use the spell check - it is at the top of the screen, it is ABC with a check mark under it.

Thanks Mrs. S,

I'll do that...(although sometimes I'm so far of it dosn't work)

On the bright side It gives me a better vocabulary...gotta think of words that mean the same thing but are easier to spell :lol:

Josh ;)

HAHAHAHA! As if you arn't human huh? Newsflash.. you are human, and you have made mistakes. I don't need to know you very well to know that. Sorry to break it to ya!

Yeah, I guess if I made that mistake I can't be perfect............oh well :(

Josh ;)

To get back to Dr. T's topic...what about Abraham, Issac, Jacob, Moses, etc people who were born before there was a temple?

Who says that no one did it for them?

Well...for one thing its never mentioned that they preformed any temple work.

If you mean...someone did it by proxy....#1 I doubt many desentents of Abraham are Mormon, #2 there is no way you could trace your ansestory back that far.

Josh B)

Yes you can.. of you had royalty in your family, you can get it as far as Adam and Eve.. and it HAS been done!

Who says that no one did it for them?

Well...for one thing its never mentioned that they preformed any temple work.

If you mean...someone did it by proxy....#1 I doubt many desentents of Abraham are Mormon, #2 there is no way you could trace your ansestory back that far.

JoshuaK....#1 There are a whole lot of Abraham's descendants who are Mormon....My descendants came from the tribe of Ephriam. I know it's hard to understand...Temple work was different before Christ came...it was for a different purpose, but after Christ came, Moasic law was abolished and not needed, however the new Temple orinances were needed so that those who never heard of or will hear of Jesus Christ can have the opportunity to accept those truths while in the Spirit world and be Baptised by Proxy and recieve the other ordinances by proxy. This includes everyone who lived before Christ, yes even acient Prophets. This is the love that God has for each and every one of us...to give everyone the chance.

#2 No in this world it is impossible to trace ancestory back further than the 16th century without any accuracy. However, during the millineum all will be revealed and all Temple work will be done.

PS: I traced my paternal ancestry back to 846....whether it's accurate I don't know...the church does not allow any temple work to be performed for anyone before the 16th century because it's not accurate.

I hope that helps your understanding of Temple work

JoshuaK....#1 There are a whole lot of Abraham's descendants who are Mormon....My descendants came from the tribe of Ephriam.

decentants from the Book of Mormon people?

I know it's hard to understand...Temple work was different before Christ came...it was for a different purpose, but after Christ came, Moasic law was abolished and not needed, however the new Temple orinances were needed so that those who never heard of or will hear of Jesus Christ can have the opportunity to accept those truths while in the Spirit world and be Baptised by Proxy and recieve the other ordinances by proxy. This includes everyone who lived before Christ, yes even acient Prophets. This is the love that God has for each and every one of us...to give everyone the chance.

everyone who has temple work done for them you mean.....

#2 No in this world it is impossible to trace ancestory back further than the 16th century without any accuracy. However, during the millineum all will be revealed and all Temple work will be done.

PS: I traced my paternal ancestry back to 846....whether it's accurate I don't know...the church does not allow any temple work to be performed for anyone before the 16th century because it's not accurate.

I hope that helps your understanding of Temple work

I didn't think so....

Josh B)