child sealings

sister_in_faith

If a woman agrees to carry a child for another couple who can't have a child (I'm specifically thinking where the male of the couple and the woman carrying the child are the biological parents), and all involved are LDS, can the woman who carrys the child (the biological mother) be sealed to the baby as well as the new adoptive mother? Or can you only be sealed to one mother?

If a woman agrees to carry a child for another couple who can't have a child (I'm specifically thinking where the male of the couple and the woman carrying the child are the biological parents), and all involved are LDS, can the woman who carrys the child (the biological mother) be sealed to the baby as well as the new adoptive mother? Or can you only be sealed to one mother?

You are sealed only to one father and one mother.

My question is different but related: If a woman sealed to her husband acts as a surrogate, will not the resulting child be born in their covenant?

You are sealed only to one father and one mother.

My question is different but related: If a woman sealed to her husband acts as a surrogate, will not the resulting child be born in their covenant?

Good question, Vort. I have no idea if the same principle applies to that situation as it does to a woman who has a child after being widowed or divorced--if she is still sealed to her first husband, any subsequent children are still considered BIC. Would there be a difference between a child born to a surrogate where the surrogate mother uses her own eggs, but the sperm is from the donor, or if the baby is born from both donated sperm and egg? That child is not biologically hers. Are children adopted when they are born from a surrogate mother?

Guest gopecon

I think this type of situation/confusion is why surrogacy/donation is discouraged by the Church. All children born to a woman who has been sealed are considered to be BIC. I wouldn't be surprised if something could be arranged, but why complicate things? Hopefully someone considering this type of arrangement would talk with their bishop ahead of time so there is minimal confusion when the child is already here.