Am I ready to give up Islam.

Hala401

Wow, as I typed out the title, it felt really strange to see the words appear before me. Something my Elders said this afternoon has gradually crept in and given me pause to really think. He asked me if I felt settled in giving up Islam?

Gee, this started in Kirtland in early March and I do not know how many different ways I can prove that I am.

The answer I first gave him was a simple, "Yes, I am ready." But now at midnight, the question is still echoing in my head. I was Muslim for over 5 years, and while the beliefs felt right at the time, I was not well accepted because most Muslims I knew were immigrants and a white American woman in Islam has a tough time of it. The failure rate is some 66%.

I'd been an evangelical christian for over 30 years before and was devout. But my exit from that faith made me hate them and their "plastic Jesus". I never thought I would worship their God and their Jesus again. Even the toughness of trying to be Muslim was better than the bizarre Christianity that I had come to know.

Then I had an encounter with the Holy Spirit in Kirtland, Ohio. I fought you at first. I could not believe that anyone who said they were Christians could be genuine, actually do God's will, and follow Jesus. I have to say that fight it as hard as I could, I couldn't win the argument.

There is a problem with me, so I could not just do a few lessons and be baptised in a month or two. It's had to go clear to the First Presidency, but some things have happened to virtually insure that he will approve my application. I thought it was because of my little problem but My Elder's question today made me realise that there is concern that I am not settled in my own mind about Islam. I don't know how to reassure them. Now I have thought about it so much that I am not even sure myself, and I'm really tired.

You've broken all my resistance and I thought it would be easy to tell that. Sure, I learned a lot of things in Islam that made me a better person, and I don't want to give those things up. Parts of my conversion to LDS was made easier because of Islam, not harder.

I don't know, maybe those who are deciding about me think that all Muslims are going to hell, like John Hagee once said. If I really believed that Mormons thought that, we would not be talking.

I want to keep my modesty, my way of thinking about God. I want to kneel on the floor and tell him how I absolutely adore God, and ask him from the deep places in my heart to forgive me for my sins that day. If I ever have another husband, I want to respect him deeply, and to be respected.

You LDS have loved me so completely that I finally feel loveable, and you don't know how hard it was for me to finally begin to trust you. Returning to Jesus and the Holy Spirit were not hard at all because Muslims and Christians believe almost the same things about Jesus Christ.

I doubt that I will ever lose all of my Islam. But I have given up the things in Islam that conflict with LDS theology. I do not know what else I can do now. I am going to pray and go to bed, hoping that God will give me sleep.

Much peace

Hala

Wow, as I typed out the title, it felt really strange to see the words appear before me. Something my Elders said this afternoon has gradually crept in and given me pause to really think. He asked me if I felt settled in giving up Islam?

Gee, this started in Kirtland in early March and I do not know how many different ways I can prove that I am.

The answer I first gave him was a simple, "Yes, I am ready." But now at midnight, the question is still echoing in my head. I was Muslim for over 5 years, and while the beliefs felt right at the time, I was not well accepted because most Muslims I knew were immigrants and a white American woman in Islam has a tough time of it. The failure rate is some 66%.

I'd been an evangelical christian for over 30 years before and was devout. But my exit from that faith made me hate them and their "plastic Jesus". I never thought I would worship their God and their Jesus again. Even the toughness of trying to be Muslim was better than the bizarre Christianity that I had come to know.

Then I had an encounter with the Holy Spirit in Kirtland, Ohio. I fought you at first. I could not believe that anyone who said they were Christians could be genuine, actually do God's will, and follow Jesus. I have to say that fight it as hard as I could, I couldn't win the argument.

There is a problem with me, so I could not just do a few lessons and be baptised in a month or two. It's had to go clear to the First Presidency, but some things have happened to virtually insure that he will approve my application. I thought it was because of my little problem but My Elder's question today made me realise that there is concern that I am not settled in my own mind about Islam. I don't know how to reassure them. Now I have thought about it so much that I am not even sure myself, and I'm really tired.

You've broken all my resistance and I thought it would be easy to tell that. Sure, I learned a lot of things in Islam that made me a better person, and I don't want to give those things up. Parts of my conversion to LDS was made easier because of Islam, not harder.

I don't know, maybe those who are deciding about me think that all Muslims are going to hell, like John Hagee once said. If I really believed that Mormons thought that, we would not be talking.

I want to keep my modesty, my way of thinking about God. I want to kneel on the floor and tell him how I absolutely adore God, and ask him from the deep places in my heart to forgive me for my sins that day. If I ever have another husband, I want to respect him deeply, and to be respected.

You LDS have loved me so completely that I finally feel loveable, and you don't know how hard it was for me to finally begin to trust you. Returning to Jesus and the Holy Spirit were not hard at all because Muslims and Christians believe almost the same things about Jesus Christ.

I doubt that I will ever lose all of my Islam. But I have given up the things in Islam that conflict with LDS theology. I do not know what else I can do now. I am going to pray and go to bed, hoping that God will give me sleep.

Much peace

Hala

Hala, I was Catholic for 30 years before I became LDS. Am I ready to give up Catholicism? Well, I did that when I got baptized LDS, so yeah, I was and I am. But, that doesn't mean that the truths the Holy Spirit testified to me as a Catholic ceased to be true.

If an LDS says Jesus is our Savior, that is true. But, if a Catholic says Jesus is our Savior, it is true as well.

I felt the Holy Spirit when I was Catholic. I had spiritual experiences then too. And I can testify to you that it is the same Holy Spirit talking to me as an LDS.

But, what I have now is the COMPLETE truth. Things have a different perspective now.

It is like what you said about Muslim and LDS having almost the same things about Jesus Christ... it is the ALMOST that makes LDS complete.

So, are you ready to give up Islam? You already did - when you got baptized. But that doesn't mean that everything Islam ceased to be true. It just means that you have the complete truth now.

Hope this helps.

A certain President who interviewed me felt that I could be in danger when I left Islam, but I did not listen to him. Then today, I find this video:

Islam: What The West Needs To Know | Watch the Documentary Film Free Online | SnagFilms

This seems to be a well thought out video, by well educated men and women, who have every reason to really know. I wish I could get this video back to this President and tell him that I now really understand.

Hala

Hala, I would encourage you not to give too much ear to those who seek to tear down other religions. I am not an expert on Islam, but I had a close friend who was Muslim and who was one of the most virtuous and admirable people I have ever known.

Films like this, purporting to "tell the truth" about Islam, seem to me much like the anti-Mormon films that claim to "tell the truth" about the evil cult of Mormonism. The anti-Mormon efforts are patchworks of outrageous lies and out-of-context teachings, so I suspect the same might be true of the anti-Islam films.

Hala, I would encourage you not to give too much ear to those who seek to tear down other religions. I am not an expert on Islam, but I had a close friend who was Muslim and who was one of the most virtuous and admirable people I have ever known.

Films like this, purporting to "tell the truth" about Islam, seem to me much like the anti-Mormon films that claim to "tell the truth" about the evil cult of Mormonism. The anti-Mormon efforts are patchworks of outrageous lies and out-of-context teachings, so I suspect the same might be true of the anti-Islam films.

Thank you. I had failed to make the connection in spite of the fact that the LDS reluctance to attack other religions was one of the things that originally attracted me to the LDS.

We teach others to take the good they have found in their religions and bring it with them, and add it to the higher truths found in the fullness of the gospel. If you are ready to embrace the gospel, make and keep covenants, and continue growing in spiritual experiences, then you are ready.

We teach others to take the good they have found in their religions and bring it with them, and add it to the higher truths found in the fullness of the gospel. If you are ready to embrace the gospel, make and keep covenants, and continue growing in spiritual experiences, then you are ready.

I am ready. The wait has been long, but as it has produced acceptance and I can see the truth in the need for the wait. Some of the things that made me feel creepy, I now understand in their proper context.

Err, correction. "I" think I am ready, but need to start thinking about what it means to wait for the Prophet to say I am ready. This is a hard one; just feels strange, but I must do it or nothing makes any sense.

Edited by Hala401

A certain President who interviewed me felt that I could be in danger when I left Islam, but I did not listen to him. Then today, I find this video:

Islam: What The West Needs To Know | Watch the Documentary Film Free Online | SnagFilms

This seems to be a well thought out video, by well educated men and women, who have every reason to really know. I wish I could get this video back to this President and tell him that I now really understand.

Hala

Do what is right let the consequences follow. While there are many things to be concerned about in this world 99% the time we see them as far far larger threats than what they actually are.

Despite everything going on, and all the nay saying we hear in the media, this really is a good time to be religious, especially in the US.