Duct Tape

StrawberryFields

When my oldest son was at scout camp duct tape helped to save his life.

They were camped at a lake high into the Ut mountains. Three of them headed for a ledge overlooking the lake. Two of the boys were already on top of the ledge when my son was pulling himself up the final ledge. As he pulled himself up the shell rock broken loose and fell on his leg before he fell onto the ground. When he tried to stand up he could not put any weight onto his right leg. The other boys noticed he was bleeding quite a bit and together they helped him down the mountain back to the camp. By this time his shoe was covered in blood. The leaders took him into their tent to examine the damage. after removing his shoe and sock they could see that the cut was on his inner right ankle and it went DEEP. Immediatly one of the leaders took off his clean white T-shirt to wrap his leg another went to look for something to secure the shirt and came back with Duct Tape. They tightly wrapped the duct tape around the t-shirt and piggy back my son to the truck and headed toward Salt Lake City. They reached my husband via cell phone, who had just left a baseball game with Nick and a friend of his. They tried to reach me but there was too much noise in the house as I was giving my daughter and 10 of her closest friends a Birthday party. My husband met the leaders at the mouth of the canyon and called my neighbor to come to my house to tell me what was going on. I called one of my young women to come and stay with the girls and I headed for the hospital to meet up with them. Arriving at the hospital, they had placed him in a pod in the ER room. One of the techs asked him how much he weighted and he told him that he usually weighted 115 but after his steak dinner that night he most likely was 120. :) The nurse came and unwrapped his leg from the duct tape and blood soaked t-shirt. The wound looked very clean but when she moved his foot slightly blood shot across the room and she told us that he had cut an artery. I feel on my sons chest as I saw the blood spurt out and my son told me to sit down that he would be fine. Nick and his friend were watching from the ER window and I noticed our neighbors, the friends parents standing behind them. He asked if our son had had a blessing and we said no. They all entered the pod and we closed the curtain while they administered to my son. Just as they had finished, the doctor entered the pod and took a look. He asked what had happened and when we told him he said that we were very lucky that they had wrapped his leg so tight and that other wise he would have bled to death traveling so far.

He ended up also having a broken leg and the bleeding was controlled and he has had no problems with that leg.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that is cool. here is another duct tape use, but not quite as touching i guess. :)

my brother while living in MO at the time was traveling back from a church mtg. he had his wife and their 5 young children in the care. it had been snowing all night and they were in the middle of nowhere. the fan belt broke on their van. it was late, no one would be coming by, they were to far to walk(this was before everyone and their child had a cell phone, lol), and it was only getting colder. he remembered he had a roll of duct tape. he was able to put layers together tightly and thick enough that his duct tape fan belt got his family home and the car to the auto parts store the next day to get a real one.

Thanks for the well wishes and concern. :)

Here is another one, I guess our family should do a commercial or something. :lol:

We were at Lake Powell with a bunch of friends and all of the men decided to go on a moonlight ski. They were gone for hours and decided to get the water weenie out. They had a great time until they got a little crazy which landed all of the guy in the water but not before the first one taking the second one out and so on. When my husband came out of the water he could hardly breathe and was holding his side. The guys helped him in the boat and laid him on the floor. He needed to have his ribs supported because the were broken. One of the men grabbed a roll of duct tape and began wrapping him very tightly. When they got back to the house boat they told us what had happened and my hubby raised his t-shirt to display their handy work. I said Hey it looks great but why didn't you put on a t-shirt first and their faces dropped before they broke out in laughter!

This happened before the accident with my son. Lucky for us we were leaving the next day. On the drive home the tape started to really bug him so he started to take it off inch by inch OUCH! When we got home and got him to the doctor he sure got a good laugh when he saw his perfectly smooth tummy and chest with some of the tape residue left. :lol:

I like to duct-tape my wife to the bed sometimes. Maybe that's what Dr. T had in mind? B)

Jason Dear,

If you were nicer to your wife you wouldn't need to tape her to the bed to keep her with you. :lol:;)

<div class='quotemain'>

I like to duct-tape my wife to the bed sometimes. Maybe that's what Dr. T had in mind? B)

Jason Dear,

If you were nicer to your wife you wouldn't need to tape her to the bed to keep her with you. :lol:;)

Oh and BTW did you see Dr. call me berry? :D

:dontknow: I have heard that duct tape is used for 'support' when wearing a backless dress.

That is actually very true that women will use duct tape to create cleavage in a backless dress.

The best fun that I have ever witnessed was people using the varied colors of duct tape to create medieval outfits.

Also if you are making clothing for yourself and you want to get accurate measurements, you create a duct tape dummy of your body.

We love duct tape around my house and my favorite color to use is the purple!

Here is another one, I guess our family should do a commercial or something. :lol:

Oh SF, I nearly cried when I read the first one.... but I laughed out loud on this one!... your right.... it WOULD be a great idea for a commercial......lol.

"Actual events.... not paid actors!"

As for the other ways to use duct tape... I will keep (most) of those ideas in the back of my mind! LOL

I have seen prom dresses and tux's made from duct tape.... very inventive.

I can honestly say....if you can't duct tape it or chicken wire it back together...it's done for.

Gotta love that duct tape :D

Dr. T,

You mean to tape someones mouth shut?

Yes, that is what I meant. Then I realized that it could imply that her son was captured by someone and so I decided not to go on with that one. That's all I meant.

Dr. T

Ohhhh Dr. T, you are so thoughtful :wub:

You know what the one the duct tape dosn't work for? ducts :lol:

In 1998, Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory physicists Max Sherman and Lain Walker tested a variety of sealing materials on sheet metal ducting, then heated and cooled the ducts to simulate the aging process. They soon found that duct tape leaked air so badly much of the cooling and heating was wasted -- and that the tape frequently shrunk, dried up or separated.

"It failed reliably and often quite catastrophically," says Sherman. "And nothing else except duct tape failed."

But for all you duct tape lovers out there...I give you DUCT TAPE FASHION! :wow:

http://www.ducttapefashion.com/

Josh B)

It does, moles as well! My moms nutritionist swears by as she calls it "miracle medical tape"

WOW, I didn't know that!

I have been using a prescription steroid tape to apply medicine to some eczema on my fingers on my left hand. It's really hard to keep the tape on because as a wife and mother my hand get wet often. I think I should try using duct tape instead!

25 colors http://www.tapebrothers.com/Duct-Tape-s/1....CFQ5TCwodSnQ8Ig