Question on marriage

Hi everyone.

I have a doubt. Let's suppose that I attend an evangelical church, I fall in love with a woman there and we get married in that church. Then, let's suppose we both get to know the LDS church, we convert and get baptised in it.

Would we have to get married again. I know we'd have to be sealed at the temple, but would we have to get remarried before that?

That's not my case. I was baptised in 2009 and I don't have a girlfriend yet. It's just an honest doubt of mine.

Thanx a lot.

Christiano,

While the quick answer you would get from people in the church would be, "No, you would not need to get remarried," I saw that you are in Brazil.

That changes things due to the law in Brazil. The only legal marriage recognized by the Brazillian government is a legal document being signed at the government building. So, if a person were married in an evangelical church only, it is not recognized by the Brazillian government as a legal marriage.

Even members of the church in Brazil have to have a civil marriage at the government building first and then be with chaperones all the way to the temple in order to be "married" (sealed) there.

So, the answer to your question is that the church requires a legal marriage in order to be sealed. A religious ceremony is not a legal marriage according to Brazillian law.

Hi everyone.

I have a doubt. Let's suppose that I attend an evangelical church, I fall in love with a woman there and we get married in that church. Then, let's suppose we both get to know the LDS church, we convert and get baptised in it.

Would we have to get married again. I know we'd have to be sealed at the temple, but would we have to get remarried before that?

That's not my case. I was baptised in 2009 and I don't have a girlfriend yet. It's just an honest doubt of mine.

Thanx a lot.

technically no once your married, you shouldn't have to remarry to get sealed in the temple if both of you have converted and have kept the faith... altho it may depend wherre you live because of the laws of the land.

No, you don't need to get remarried. The LDS Church in the USA recognizes all marriages that is deemed legal in civil court as valid (hence, the big issue with Prop 8).

I respectfully disagree. An LDS stake high council isn't going to excuse a homosexual relationship just because the participants purport to be married in Massachusetts or California or some other jurisdiction that permits same-sex marriages.

Even members of the church in Brazil have to have a civil marriage at the government building first and then be with chaperones all the way to the temple in order to be "married" (sealed) there.

Chaperones? Really?

Incidentally: Most of the evangelicals I knew in Brazil made a point of being civilly married as well; just like the Mormons did.

Hi everyone.

Thanx a lot.

Yeah Brasil, like most of latin america, have seperate civil marriages as the legal marriage done at the civil registry office -cartório de registro civil- with the religious marriage usually following the legal one. Therefore if you are only married in the evangelical church your marriage would not be lawful and to join the LDS church they would require a legal marriage if you live together. Brazil also recognises defacto relationships as legal but the LDS church doesn't accept those either.

So you'd only need that legal marriage certificate from the civil registry office before baptism and the sealing a year later. An LDS chapel marriage wouldn't be enough either by the way since it isn't recognized as legal in the country.

Chaperones? Really?

Incidentally: Most of the evangelicals I knew in Brazil made a point of being civilly married as well; just like the Mormons did.

Yes, chaperones because the church actively promote that couple should not consumate the marriage until after the Temple marriage.

Maybe it's their way of making the Temple marriage worth more than the civil one.

Christiano,

While the quick answer you would get from people in the church would be, "No, you would not need to get remarried," I saw that you are in Brazil.

That changes things due to the law in Brazil. The only legal marriage recognized by the Brazillian government is a legal document being signed at the government building. So, if a person were married in an evangelical church only, it is not recognized by the Brazillian government as a legal marriage.

So, the answer to your question is that the church requires a legal marriage in order to be sealed. A religious ceremony is not a legal marriage according to Brazillian law.

Yeah, I know. But I'm not referring to the civil marriage, but the religious one. Would a marriage/wedding in the Catholic church be recognized by the LDS church as valid, since for us the Catholic church isn't considered a true church?

Yeah, I know. But I'm not referring to the civil marriage, but the religious one. Would a marriage/wedding in the Catholic church be recognized by the LDS church as valid, since for us the Catholic church isn't considered a true church?

The religious wedding itself would not be recognized by the LDS Church. However, it would not have to be "re-done" on your conversion to Mormonism so long as you two also had a civil marriage.

Of course, as you said initially, "sealing" is a different issue. No ceremony of any other faith can negate the need for LDS temple ordinances.

O casamento na Igreja Catolica seria valido nos EUA por causa das leis aqui. No Brasil, um casamento na Igreja Catolica nao vai ser valido por causa das leis da terra.

Por isso, um casamento tem que ser registrado no cartório de registro civil como JuanP falou antes.

Em A Igreja de Jesus Cristo Dos Santos Dos Ultimos Dias no Brasil, tem que registrar o casamento no cartório de registro civil antes de ir no templo. Se aquele casamento na Igreja Catolica foi registrado no cartório de registro civil, entao nao precisa fazer de novo. Se nao foi registrado, precisa fazer antes de ir no templo.

• 4 weeks later...

No, the couple would not have to get remarried before the sealing--they are already legally married.

Now, if the couple wants to publicly celebrate their love for and commitment to each other again, there's no reason they couldn't invite their friends and family to a party/renewal of vows ceremony. But it's certainly not required by the Church, and I think most couples who join the Church after alreay being married just do a sealing ceremony.

Just want to say, I LOVE weddings! (I'm a romantic at heart. :))

Edited by HEthePrimate

• 1 month later...