Genealogy Software????? PAF no longer supported

applepansy

I just learned today that PAF will no longer be updated or supported. There are several software suggestions at the new.familysearch.org website but when I called I was told they couldn't give recommendations.

so......

I thought I'd come here to ask for recommendations.

What do you use? Which programs have the best sharing to family search and back?

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Side note: I was just called to be the family history consultant for our ward. :eek:

Second side note: After months and months and months of waiting and waiting I got an email from a 15yo kid in Indiana who is working on the same family line I am. He has information I have been searching for forever....well it seems like forever....years anyway. :)

I switched from PAF to Family Tree Maker (Family Tree Maker by Ancestry.com - The #1 Selling Family Tree Program) about a year ago and I like it.

I also use Family Insight to help transfer data between Family Tree and NewFamilySearch (Ohana Software- Essential Tools for FamilySearchâ„¢ Users).

I use RootsMagic. It comes with the main program, and a portable one to put on a USB Stick. That way, I can take it with, plug it into any genealogy computer and be able to make changes and sync it with the main software. It's been a very nice piece of software.

I use RootsMagic. It comes with the main program, and a portable one to put on a USB Stick. That way, I can take it with, plug it into any genealogy computer and be able to make changes and sync it with the main software. It's been a very nice piece of software.

I use the free RootsMagic. I'm cheap.

HiJolly

I switched from PAF to Family Tree Maker (Family Tree Maker by Ancestry.com - The #1 Selling Family Tree Program) about a year ago and I like it.

I also use Family Insight to help transfer data between Family Tree and NewFamilySearch (Ohana Software- Essential Tools for FamilySearchâ„¢ Users).

I used to have PAF insight when I had PAF. I'm hoping I have a data disk somewhere will my old PAF files on it.

Which one do you like best?

I was thinking it might be easier to just use Family Insight because of the almost seamless connection to new.familysearch.org.... but I'm not sure. :(

If you use another software you have a place to keep notes, away to link copies of the evidence you have found (census records, vital records, etc.) and have your own copy of information that you know is correct that no one else can mess with.

Everyone should remember that just because your family history is on the church website doesn't mean its correct. I like the saying that "family history without documentation is mythology."

I use ancestral quest (there is a free version). The paid for version links up with Family Search. (Personally I find Family Search rather user unfriendly - but that might just be me)

Almost forgot - you can open PAF files on it as well.

Turns out, ancestral quest is made by the people who made PAF. It's a souped up version with the bells and whistles the Church didn't want to pay for.

Why do you need any software other than the Churches website? familysearch?

The supervisor I talked to was very adamant about having your own software and not using the new.familysearch.org as your genealogy program. The reasons she gave are that there are too many fingers in new.familysearch.org and that you need more control over your own information, and the second reason is new.familysearch.org is for temple work, not for family trees.

Several months...maybe a year ago... we were told in our ward to use new.familysearch.org and that we didn't need another program. When I told the supervisor this she got even more insistent.

The church wants everyone's fingers in the new.familysearch.org data base. Its for temple work.

After talking to her I understood. I have family records I cannot add to new.familysearch.org. I can add notes but I can't add the documentation. I can do that in my own program.

so.... I'm still searching for the best and least expensive option. I downloaded the free RootsMagic. I'm leaning towards purchasing Family Insight.

I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you all!

Edit: Thanks Moe. I'll look into ancestral quest a little more.