My new geek meme

Vort

Ok, so I'm just geek enough that I was fairly certain I understood the joke but couldn't laugh because I became confused by the "thumbs up". It's not an asl symbol for any letter or number, and hexadecimal is a code using letters and numbers... So what is the thumbs up supposed to indicate?

Is it supposed to mean nothing, and just be funny because he appears to be signing something? I think I've shamed myself with this post, but I was too engrossed in finding out if the thumbs up could actually indicate something in hexadecimal to appreciate the joke. :(

Thumb up is "1" in ASL. A lot of us count with our fingers starting with the index finger, but in ASL you start with the thumb.

Hmm... Interesting. The book I learned ASL from had 1 represented by the index finger, but now that I'm thinking about it it was a "newer" book and probably inaccurate with some signs, trying to match it with more common hand signals. Since the index finger also indicates the letter "D", if that had been the original sign for the number 1 also, it would have been confusing.

Thumb up is "1" in ASL. A lot of us count with our fingers starting with the index finger, but in ASL you start with the thumb.

In ASL, thumb up is actually '10'. Which in hexadecimal is 'A'. Pronounced "aaaaaaayyyyy".

Now I've gone and given it away. Drat.

My college roommate was WRONG! Think I should FB her and tell her? (She was teaching me some ASL as she was learning it).

Tell her she needs to take her class over again. :)