Speaker pulled from HS address

RMGuy

I assume that Sacred Heart is a privately-owned Catholic high school. If that's true, I support their right to be discriminating in who they allow to speak at their events. I think it was incredibly unprofessional, however, for them not to notify Dominic themselves that the invitation had been rescinded. Tacky.

If we're talking about Sacred Heart Academy in Mount Pleasant, MI, then yes it is a Catholic School owned by the Catholic Church.

A gay person living a homosexual lifestyle speaking at a Catholic School Graduation is another one of those slap in the faces like the BSA who holds homosexual lifestyle as not morally straight having a practicing homosexual as a scout leader.

C'mon guys. It's really not that hard to understand. It is NOT discrimination when we tell Al Sharpton, an openly practicing democrat, I'm sorry, you can't speak on the Republican National Convention.

I assume that Sacred Heart is a privately-owned Catholic high school. If that's true, I support their right to be discriminating in who they allow to speak at their events. I think it was incredibly unprofessional, however, for them not to notify Dominic themselves that the invitation had been rescinded. Tacky.

I don't see in the story where Dominic was not notified. A teacher invited Dominic through his mother. A principal (higher ranking than just a teacher) uninvited Dominic through his mother. I don't see where it is incredibly unprofessional.

I don't see in the story where Dominic was not notified. A teacher invited Dominic through his mother. A principal (higher ranking than just a teacher) uninvited Dominic through his mother. I don't see where it is incredibly unprofessional.

I didn't say he wasn't notified. I said he wasn't notified directly. They should have contacted Dominic directly, since he was the speaker, not through his mom, who wasn't.

However, according to the article, she begged the school to let him speak -- why was he not dealing with them directly to begin with?

I didn't say he wasn't notified. I said he wasn't notified directly. They should have contacted Dominic directly, since he was the speaker, not through his mom, who wasn't.

However, according to the article, she begged the school to let him speak -- why was he not dealing with them directly to begin with?

Easy answer. The mother is the one involved in the school. He isn't. The mother is involved because her youngest son is enrolled in the school. Therefore, all communications went through the mother who is the active participant in school activities. The mother then, as a representative of the school personally asked her son to speak at the graduation ceremony.

Happens all the time. There's a school in North Florida where Jeb Bush's daughter attended. The school asked Jeb Bush's wife to speak to her mother-in-law, the former first lady Barbara Bush, to speak at the graduation. The school never talked directly to Barbara Bush. All communications went through Columba Bush who arranged everything.

I think this may be part of a trend: the Catholic Church has been on a mission, it seems, lately to stop supporting those who are homosexual or support homosexuality in any way, shape, or form. Just this March, they pulled the plug on a homeless shelter because a new director was in favor of same sex marriage.

Sure, it's entirely within the Catholic Church's rights to do so, but I'm wondering what message they're trying to say.