How do you say goodbye to a dear friend?

One of my very best friends is moving this week. :( I'm very sad about it. She's helped my family and I through a lot of things the last several years, and hopefully I've been able to bless her, too.

She's not a lovey-touchy-talky person at all. I know I need to go over and tell her goodbye before she goes, but I'm not sure how. Do I take a gift? Give her a card? I'm really bad at goodbyes. I want to cry just thinking about it.

I don't know what's ettiquette-ally appropriate in these situations, but what I've done before was give a gift, a card, and helped pack, and invite to dinner. Then called and emailed periodically after they've settled into their new place.

Since I've moved a lot, I'm usually the one people are saying good-bye to. I've had multiple variations of good-byes from my friends, but the ones I appreciated the most were the personal gifts- something meaningful between the two of us, and the continued contact after I'd left.

I would say to give her a small gift and card. On top of that, if you want to give her a hug go ahead and give it even thought she is not a lovey/touchy/talky person . If that is the best way you know how to communicate to her that you have loved her and will miss her, than do it. This goodbye meeting is not just for her, it is also for you. You don't want to be later thinking 'I wish I would have done this, or that.' .

Thanks guys. My other closest friend moved last year, and another friend just last month. Stupid economy. Who knows, maybe we'll be following them (most are going to Utah, or that direction, because there are more and better I.T. jobs there).

You could always put oreo cookies on their windshield the night before they leave....spell your name in oreos on the back window...;)

Such a boy answer.