How old were your kids when you got them into a pool?

Bini

I would love to go swimming this summer but am itching to go NOW. Baby is just over 7 months and she's really getting around but only crawling at this point. However, I'm eager to get floaties on her and hit the pool! My parents got us kids into the pool long before we could walk. We have these awesome family videos of my dad tossing us into the pool and having us paddle around - we loved it! Anyway, our house doesn't have a pool, so I'd have to take baby to the recreational centre or Lagoon to cruise the Lazy River. I don't know if either place has rules regarding infants being in the pool, maybe someone here knows what the general guidelines are for either place? And lastly, how old were your kids when you introduced them to the pool? Man, it's so warm and beautiful out - I wish there was a beach nearby!!! I so envy those of you in California and Florida GRRR.

We had a pool when the kids were born. My kids were in the pool at 8 weeks old (I had c-section and didn't feel comfortable getting my incision in the pool until around that time). They were floating on their own by 6 months. They were swimming short laps right around the time they could walk and not too long after that - before 18 months for sure - they were going down the slide.

In all the pools around here, there is no age limit on kids. The only regulation is they have to be in swimming diapers - not just regular diapers.

Edited by anatess

We had a pool when the kids were born. My kids were in the pool at 8 weeks old. They were floating on their own by 6 months. They were swimming laps right around the time they could walk.

In all the pools around here, there is no age limit on kids. The only regulation is they have to be in swimming diapers - not just regular diapers.

I should just take her then! It's sooo nice out!

My family's water experiences, for the most part, all started with nature not pools. So you had kids playing at the waters edge with an on looking parent, they kinda just naturally, as time went on, went deeper and deeper to play with the older kids.

I would have mine in there, but he doesn't fit the swim diaper, yer. And Ican't find a suit to fit him. My husband is swimmer, so he wants the baby in there ASAP. :)

Yeh I haven't actively looked for or got a swim diaper yet. Not even sure what those look like.. Are these diapers something you get at Target or Walmart? But I can totally relate to your husband's eagerness to get baby into the pool! I'm an avid swimmer too and love the water. A couple years ago I got one of those plastic pools for my three dogs to romp around in. I thought about pulling that thing out and filling it up with water but it'd be a battle trying to keep the furkids out of it! Plus.. I don't fit in it.. Lol.

My inlaws had a pool. My kids were all babies when they were in the pool. They all loved the water and were swimming before they were 18 months to 2 years old.

My second son was 6 weeks old when my MIL put him in the pool (without my knowledge). I don't mind an infant being in the pool. My problem was that it was cold and I asked my MIL specifically to NOT put him in the water. :( This was one of the straws that broke the camels back.

You do need to check with public pools about their policies. Usually children need to be potty trained before public pools will allow them in. A few summers ago several public pools were closed (in Utah) because of bacteria they couldn't get out of the water.

Edited by applepansy

Yeh I haven't actively looked for or got a swim diaper yet. Not even sure what those look like.. Are these diapers something you get at Target or Walmart? But I can totally relate to your husband's eagerness to get baby into the pool! I'm an avid swimmer too and love the water. A couple years ago I got one of those plastic pools for my three dogs to romp around in. I thought about pulling that thing out and filling it up with water but it'd be a battle trying to keep the furkids out of it! Plus.. I don't fit in it.. Lol.

They are on the shelf with the regular diapers.

Posted Image

DISPOSABLE SWIM DIAPERS SUCK!

I can't stress this enough. The reason you want your kid to wear swim diapers is so that it will hold the pee and poop IN the diaper. Huggies Swim Diapers don't do it. First of all, it doesn't absorb water - that's why it doesn't bulge up like regular diapers - so when your kid pees, it just pools between his bottom and the diaper. So, when he's in the water, all that pee is just going to leak out of the top and legs of the ill-fitting swim diapers. You can test it if you want - hold a dry baby on your chest wearing dry swim diapers and wait for her to pee and then look at your chest. Hah! Now, poop - hah, if he's running around the side of the pool and not IN the pool, then it works... if he's in the pool - out the poop goes...

But, I do use the disposable swim pants to LINE a non-disposable, better fitting one. Here's the brand I've used... now, I have a pool, so I will go bananas if poop gets in my pool. And these 2 brands - I've never had to worry about poop exiting the diaper:

Kushies Swimwear & Accessories: Swim Diapers, Pools Shoes and Sunglasses. Recommended for use in public and private pools.

That one is made of thin material but works really great. I use the disposable swim diapers to line it and just make sure the non-disposable swim pants completely covers the disposable one. This makes it so it's easy to clean.

This one is a little thicker than the Kushies:

Amazon.com: FINIS Boy's Swim Diapers: Sports & Outdoors

I don't bother lining this one.

Thanks, ladies!

I'm not even remotely familiar with swim diapers. Heard of them but never seen them in action.

Anatess, yes I can imagine that swim diapers don't completely prevent pee or poop seepage. The right fit (diaper to kid) is what's going to really make the difference. Those Kushies are adorable!