Random questions

beefche

While I was on my mission in Germany, I learned to like mayo with fries. Ketchup was not the norm there.

I happen to like mayo. I used to think Miracle Whip and mayo were the same, but NO they do not taste the same. I prefer real mayo, but can handle Miracle Whip. A little mayo mixed with tuna, for a tuna salad sandwich is yummy!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A youtube song that my son just played for me:

(To the tune of the chorus to Dynamite)

All you white people make me mad sometimes

saying mayo, get me mayo...

This is a japanese steakhouse, you guys

don't got mayo.

What's your problem?

What a crazy song... they can't even get it right between Japanese and Chinese. Sweet and sour chicken = Chinese, you guys. Not Japanese.

Reminds me of that episode in King of the Hill:

Hank: Are you Chinese or Japanese?

Neighbor: I'm Laosian. From Laos.

Hank: So... is that Chinese or Japanese?

How's that for random?

While I was on my mission in Germany, I learned to like mayo with fries. Ketchup was not the norm there.

I happen to like mayo. I used to think Miracle Whip and mayo were the same, but NO they do not taste the same. I prefer real mayo, but can handle Miracle Whip. A little mayo mixed with tuna, for a tuna salad sandwich is yummy!

Mayo aka Hellmen's, Kraft, Best Foods, etc. is entirely different critter from Miracle Whip.

Miracle Whip is a dressing. It is sweet/tangy. Mayo is bland, need to add seasonings with it.

Home made MW =

3/4 cup vegetable oil

2 tablespoons lemon juice

2 teaspoons salt

1/2 teaspoon dry mustard (prepared is O.K.)

1 large egg, plus water to make 3/4 cup

3/4 cup flour

1/2 cup sugar

1/2 cup white vinegar

Homemade Mayo =

1 large organic egg yolk

1/2 teaspoon/5 grams salt

1 teaspoon/5 milliliters water

1 teaspoon/5 milliliters lemon juice (or 2 for a lemony mayo)

1 cup/250 milliliters vegetable oil

Both are cooked and blended/whisked. Both need to be stored in the fridge.

1. Maybe it's my cheapness coming out, but other than a waitress situation, I just can't see why I should tip.

Well, it's probably another movie that LDS don't watch, but I look at tipping the same way that Steve Buscemi's character in 'Reservoir Dogs' did - if you want more money, go get another job. "This tipping automatically, it's for the birds." And as for service - pfft! Unless you are in an expensive place, I find the service in most regular places to be far from tip-worthy.

I'd gladly pay a bit more for the food than to have to tip.

A funny from my Norwegian friend. When she came here, she wasn't used to tipping, though she had heard it was expected. She was here (and dining out) for about a year before she asked me whether she should tip more than 25 cents! :eek:

A friend of mine drove for an airport shuttle company for minimum wage, but the tips were supposed to make up for the low pay, but with the economy being bad, a lot of people didn't tip anything. Even worse, she says when she does her taxes, the IRS assumes she made a certain amount in tips even though she didn't make that much. That is probably the case for servers and other professions too.

When the service is really bad though, I don't tip. Once I went out to eat with my sister and because we split a meal since we were so poor, the servers gave us attitude the rest of the night, didn't bring us water, didn't bring us a second set of utensils, etc. When my sister went to fill out the receipt, the waitress hovered over her. She asked, "Can you not stand there?" She said, "I don't want to lose another pen." She said, "Fine." and wrote in 0 for the tip. They also asked us to get out of our seats in the middle of our meal to change a little lightbulb in our booth. Really bizarre. Maybe they didn't think we mattered because we were poor, but we have enough money now to eat there and choose not to.

Another time we were at Olive Garden and our waiter disappeared. Turns out he went on break and forgot about us. My friend was late back to work because we waited so long for our check. Needless to say, we didn't tip that guy.

I hate the concept of tipping. Whilst in theory we're supposed to tip for good service, a young and pretty female waitress is far more likely to get tipped than a 40-50 year old balding man, even if the level of service is identical.

I find that tipping is much more prevalent in the USA than the UK, so I have to adjust my attitude towards it in order to not appear rude. Plus my wife beats me if I don't leave anything :(

Someone posted on here once (sorry, don't remember who) that they tip according to how their drinks are kept refilled. Refillable drinks are not very common in the UK anyway, so I'm usually happy to tip based on this when in the US.

Someone posted on here once (sorry, don't remember who) that they tip according to how their drinks are kept refilled. Refillable drinks are not very common in the UK anyway, so I'm usually happy to tip based on this when in the US.

That's pretty much my standard for non-descript service. Other than taking my order, and delivering my food and check that's about the only thing I ask of service staff except occasionally for a side dish of BBQ sauce or what have you. Now I go through drinks fairly fast (I can go through a dozen glasses of water (I rarely order soda at a restaurant) in a meal if my waiter is there like lightening) so if I am several minutes without a top off it's no big deal, but if I'm eating for an hour and my water has only been refilled once or twice, I'm not happy. I mean taking my order, bringing my food, and bringing my check is the bare minimum of the job. Without those three elements you don't even have a waiter so if tipping is suppose to be in recognition of good service or to encourage good service keeping me watered for the 15% is a fairly low bar. The other component is getting to the table to take the order in a decent amount of time. And I do take into account how busy the place is. If it's a Friday night at Applebee's I'm a little more relaxed about timing (but not rudeness) then I'd be at a late 3pm lunch on Tuesday.

Interestingly enough if they figure it out and leave a pitcher of water on the table (and if they're busy I'll suggest just that) it doesn't bug me, but I know that would bother some folks, and be against policy in some places.

That's pretty much my standard for non-descript service. Other than taking my order, and delivering my food and check that's about the only thing I ask of service staff except occasionally for a side dish of BBQ sauce or what have you. Now I go through drinks fairly fast (I can go through a dozen glasses of water (I rarely order soda at a restaurant) in a meal if my waiter is there like lightening) so if I am several minutes without a top off it's no big deal, but if I'm eating for an hour and my water has only been refilled once or twice, I'm not happy. I mean taking my order, bringing my food, and bringing my check is the bare minimum of the job. Without those three elements you don't even have a waiter so if tipping is suppose to be in recognition of good service or to encourage good service keeping me watered for the 15% is a fairly low bar. The other component is getting to the table to take the order in a decent amount of time. And I do take into account how busy the place is. If it's a Friday night at Applebee's I'm a little more relaxed about timing (but not rudeness) then I'd be at a late 3pm lunch on Tuesday.

Interestingly enough if they figure it out and leave a pitcher of water on the table (and if they're busy I'll suggest just that) it doesn't bug me, but I know that would bother some folks, and be against policy in some places.

I personally would prefer the pitcher. Whilst I understand some people prefer the interaction with the waiter, I find too many appearances annoying. We're a demanding lot really, aren't we? :D And this discussion is now making me drool, I want cracker barrel :(