Random questions

beefche

Now which one of us was it that was eating a green onion like a carrot at the family get together?

But green onions are awesome. Dip them in just a tiny bit of salt and ohhhh soooo yummy. I'm with you on this one Beefche.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But green onions are awesome. Dip them in just a tiny bit of salt and ohhhh soooo yummy. I'm with you on this one Beefche.

Thank you, pam. But in his defense, you aren't the one on the receiving end of that tongue in my pic.....

Something tells me you are picturing me telling them to remove the mayonnaise and ketchup on my hamburger and replacing it with fry-sauce, which isn't the case. And I don't particularly enjoy fry-sauce, I just think it's more palatable than either mayonnaise which is mostly tasteless globbiness, and ketchup which is over-powering but somehow still bland in the salty, sour, and sweet department, it masks most foods rather than complimenting them. You're basically 'watering' down the ketchup with mayonnaise when you make fry-sauce which takes the edge off the reasons I dislike them, as now the mayonnaise has flavor and the ketchup isn't so overpowering.

Generally I put mustard on my sandwiches and burgers and if eating out tell them to keep the ketchup and mayo off my food (the one exception being a Royal Red from Red Robin though I could easily forgo the mayonnaise).

Hey you don't have to go into a lengthy explanation to defend yourself. I just went by what your wife posted. :lol:

So yeah, a great waitress getting paid $2.15/hr is not the fault of the person not leaving tip money. It's the fault of her boss who refused to pay her more than she's worth.

An employer is legally required to make up a shortfall if tips are insufficient to come out to a minimum wage. So if Suzie works and only gets enough tips to come out to $4.50 an hour (or some other figure below minimum wage) the employer is required to make up the difference. So if she's only making $2.15/hr not only is it the fault of her boss, it's because her boss is breaking the law. (Reference: U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Fact Sheet)

Edited by Dravin

Unless I'm mistaken an employer is legally required to make up a shortfall if tips are insufficient to come out to a minimum wage. So if Suzie works and only gets enough tips to come out to $4.50 an hour (or some other figure below minimum wage) the employer is required to make up the difference. So if she's only making 2.15/hr not only is it the fault of her boss, it's because her boss is breaking the law. (Reference: U.S. Department of Labor - Wage and Hour Division (WHD) - Fact Sheet)

So again even with that bit of information, waitresses/waiters really rely on tips to even make a living.

So again even with that bit of information, waitresses/waiters really rely on tips to even make a living.

They rely on tips to make above minimum wage, yes. Often though people like to portray waitstaff getting stiffed as if it means they work for below minimum wage which isn't the case. If everyone in this country stopped tipping waitstaff would still make minimum wage (and we'd see a increase in food prices at restaurants that employed tipped waitstaff). The cashier at the local Stop and Shop doesn't make above minimum wage unless he's tipped either.

Edited by Dravin

They rely on tips to make above minimum wage, yes. Often though people like to portray waitstaff getting stiffed as if it means they work for below minimum wage which isn't the case. If everyone in this country stopped tipping waitstaff would still make minimum wage (and we'd see a increase in food prices at restaurants that employed tipped waitstaff). The cashier at the local Stop and Shop doesn't make above minimum wage unless he's tipped either.

Well I don't know about you..but I couldn't support a family on minimum wage. But for many that may be the only skill they have at the time. Shoot I couldn't support my family on just one job. That's why I always had to work 2 jobs.

Well I don't know about you..but I couldn't support a family on minimum wage.

Sounds like an argument for an increase in minimum wage.

But for many that may be the only skill they have at the time.

What if the only job someone is qualified or skilled enough for is flipping burgers at a local burger shack? Or washing dishes? Or working the cashier at the local Stop and Shop? Once again, it sounds like an argument for an increase in minimum wage.

Edited by Dravin

I totally agree with that. However there is always a downside to that. Increase minimum wage and you have to increase prices to cover the increase in wages. It's a catch 22.

Backing up a little, my husband rarely eats condiments, except sweet chili sauce and salsa. He abhors mayonnaise. He eats BLT's and all other sandwiches dry. He'll put a little ketchup on a burger sometimes. I think it's odd and it makes me feel thirsty.

Practice safe snacks! Use condiments!

I totally agree with that. However there is always a downside to that. Increase minimum wage and you have to increase prices to cover the increase in wages. It's a catch 22.

Thing is a $10 burger costs $11.50 now already, it's just the $1.50 shows up in the tip instead of the menu. And yes, there are economic consequences to raising the minimum wage.

Backing up a little, my husband rarely eats condiments, except sweet chili sauce and salsa. He abhors mayonnaise. He eats BLT's and all other sandwiches dry. He'll put a little ketchup on a burger sometimes. I think it's odd and it makes me feel thirsty.

Practice safe snacks! Use condiments!

If your burger is dry because you didn't add condiments to it then:

1) Too lean of meat was used.

2) The meat was overcooked.

3) Your buns are stale/dry.

I will agree though that some sandwiches call for condiments, for instance a toasted BLT that lacks something (my preference, once again, is avocado) moist is a might on the dry side for me. And a slice of cheese on a burger (better if it is inside the burger) will do wonders, but I can see the argument for calling that a condiment. Likewise tomato, onion, lettuce, pickles, pepperoncinis and the like add moisture but can also be considered condiments.

Next random questions:

1. Who invented the deliciousness called a BLT? A bacon sandwich doesn't quite capture the flavors that adding tomatoe and mayo to it can do.

just being nit picky here, but there is no E in tomato unless you make it plural as in tomatoes.

Don't know who invented it, but I much prefer to have a Bacon, Fresh Spinach, Tomato with Miracle Whip on un-toasted Dark Rye bread.

1. Why do we have to pay a tip to people other than waiter/waitress? A hair dresser, manicurist, etc. all make normal wages. Why is it expected we tip them? How bad is it if they are not tipped?

I only tip a waitress/waiter if their service is good. If the food is not very good, I tell the waitress/waiter so that they can tell the cook. I also tell the manager if one is on duty. If the service was sloppy or if I had to constantly flag down my server I tell the manager.

Having been an owner of a Tavern, I never expected to receive monetary tips when I worked a shift. Thus I never tip an owner. When I was a waitress/cocktail waitress & bartender for another establishment I never expected to receive tips. I served as though I were being paid $10.00 an hour and not the $3.75 that I did receive. Consequently I received the most tips. I then passed the largess on to my bartender (if he/she doesn't make the drinks in a timely fashion and correctly, then I can't serve good drinks in a timely fashion). Where I worked the cooks got paid the most- well above the minimum wage, so I never tipped them.

The hairdresser who rents space is still an owner, he/she would have to lease/purchase a building to operate out of. Never would I consider tipping a tax consultant, lawyer, gardener, or the guy who dumps the trash into the truck. In 1997 my ex husband worked for the local garbage company, he was making $1200.00 a month, plus wonderful health benefits to drive the garbage truck and pick up trash 3 days a week and to sit at the dump site and take peoples money to dump their own trash 2 days a week. During that same time a friend of ours was a teller at the local bank and he was making $950.00 a week! So I never tip the garbage man either.

So yeah, a great waitress getting paid $2.15/hr is not the fault of the person not leaving tip money. It's the fault of her boss who refused to pay her more than she's worth.

don't ya mean, it's the fault of her boss who refused to pay her WHAT she is worth.

Something tells me you are picturing me telling them to remove the mayonnaise and ketchup on my hamburger and replacing it with fry-sauce, which isn't the case. And I don't particularly enjoy fry-sauce, I just think it's more palatable than either mayonnaise which is mostly tasteless globbiness, and ketchup which is over-powering but somehow still bland in the salty, sour, and sweet department, it masks most foods rather than complimenting them. You're basically 'watering' down the ketchup with mayonnaise when you make fry-sauce which takes the edge off the reasons I dislike them, as now the mayonnaise has flavor and the ketchup isn't so overpowering.

Generally I put mustard on my sandwiches and burgers and if eating out tell them to keep the ketchup and mayo off my food (the one exception being a Royal Red from Red Robin though I could easily forgo the mayonnaise).

Have your tried 1000 island dressing instead? Husband and I dislike, er hate, er loathe mayo. I like ketchup but only to dip foods into - he dislikes ketchup. BUT we both love 1000 island dressing! Litehouse brand only! ALL others are really icky.

Have your tried 1000 island dressing instead? Husband and I dislike, er hate, er loathe mayo. I like ketchup but only to dip foods into - he dislikes ketchup. BUT we both love 1000 island dressing! Litehouse brand only! ALL others are really icky.

If I'm dipping my fries in something I go with BBQ sauce (or if I'm someplace like Buffalo Wild Wings I dip it in the sauce I ask for on the side, I like to dip dry wings). If I want something to go on my burger or sandwich I go mustard unless it comes with BBQ sauce, some other kind of sauce (teriyaki, chili sauce, or what have you) or a flavored mayonnaise (like say a Chipotle Mayo).

If I'm having a salad I just go for a vinaigrette, usually that means balsamic at restaurants. At home it's just red wine vinegar and olive oil for dressing.

If I'm dipping my fries in something I go with BBQ sauce (or if I'm someplace like Buffalo Wild Wings I dip it in the sauce I ask for on the side, I like to dip dry wings). If I want something to go on my burger or sandwich I go mustard unless it comes with BBQ sauce, some other kind of sauce (teriyaki, chili sauce, or what have you) or a flavored mayonnaise (like say a Chipotle Mayo).

If I'm having a salad I just go for a vinaigrette, usually that means balsamic at restaurants. At home it's just red wine vinegar and olive oil for dressing.

Yep, Husband likes BBQ sauce. I don't, too sweet & syrupy &/or spicy hot. When I dip fries I like ranch dip with a wee bit of ketchup on top. Also like to dip meat into either ranch or tartar sauce. Depends on what my taste buds are hungry for.

Two decades ago I preferred Skippers brand tartar sauce on my dogs and burgers, with a bit of spicy mustard. Now I like to add a wee bit of ketchup to all that. Safeway makes a good tartar sauce, but alas only comes in small jars.

Oh, I am with Beefche with the green onions. How else does one eat them if not with the fingers?

Yep, Husband likes BBQ sauce. I don't, too sweet & syrupy &/or spicy hot.

I prefer a South Carolina style BBQ sauce personally, it's quite different from the Kansas City style (thick, tomato based, and sweet) that makes up most if not all of the national BBQ sauce brands.

Two decades ago I preferred Skippers brand tartar sauce on my dogs and burgers, with a bit of spicy mustard. Now I like to add a wee bit of ketchup to all that. Safeway makes a good tartar sauce, but alas only comes in small jars.

My preferred dog/brat/sausage topping is sour kraut (diced onions are an acceptable substitute) and mustard, preferably brown mustard. For fish, if fried, I'll pass on the tartar sauce and request some malt vinegar please.

Edit: Are this rate we'll have a condiment thread. :)

Edited by Dravin

Edit: Are this rate we'll have a condiment thread. :)

Then we can embed pictures of the doors of our refrigerators to show how well stocked they are with condiments. Except I will have to pass, 'cause I don't know how to do that, embed pictures that is.

Husband really isn't that picky about BBQ sauces- I buy whatever is on sale- spending no more than $1.00 per bottle. Though when it comes to ketchup it has to be HEINZ or Safeway brand. As to mustard, plain can be any brand. The spicy brown I get at the discount store and I get Grey Poupon or Gulden's.

A little background story about me and mayo. Growing up my Grandmother used Best Foods mayo to shine up the leaves of one of her plants. (Can't even remember the species other than it had huge, succulent leaves) We never touched Grandma's Best Foods. Mom used Miracle Whip, but only to bind sandwich spreads, never to coat the bread.

So the first time I actually saw someone eating Best Foods I thought they were absolutely nuts! They had to be nuts to be EATING a plant wash!

Then I hooked up with first husband who ate mayo on nearly everything, baked potatoes and hot vegetables included. I sat next to him when we ate so I didn't have to actually watch him putting mayo laden food into his mouth.

To me, most mayo is a greasy tasteless blob. I use it when I make my own Ranch dressing/dip along with sour cream. AND I will rub a turkey or chicken down with mayo before I rub in the powdered/ground seasoning mix. Also I have a recipe for a Chocolate Mayo Cake that is wonderful! Uses mayo instead of butter/margarine/oil.

Other great non-food uses for mayo- to rub out the water marks on wood furniture. Again it is the oil in mayo that does it. To put on chewing gum that is stuck on cloth or hair. To remove the sticky part of stickers. Goo Gone is much preferred, smells nicer and will easily wash out in the laundry where mayo quite often leaves a greasy stain.

:eek:Oops, guess this is a thread jack! :tinfoil:

Let me contribute to the hijack...

Some Philippine-isms...

Burgers and chicken nuggets come with rice, not fries. I know I know, the bun is already grain... but, if it doesn't come with rice, it's not a meal, it's a snack.

You can't order salad with dressing. There's just salad. And that comes to you in shredded lettuce, tomotoes, and thousand island dressing. You can order cole slaw if you like. Lettuce - being a cold-loving plant - doesn't grow naturally in the Philippines. Lettuce is very expensive. So Salad is like posh food.