Endure Corrections Well

Tyler90AZ

How do I endure corrections from other people well? I tend to struggle with corrections, even when they are done to help me.

This is probably because you take their corrections as a personal attack on your self-worth, because they are questioning your fitness to offer an opinion.

The best way I have found to counter this is to take the exact opposite tack: Ask yourself, "Are they right? Do I really not know what I'm talking about?" Then look long and hard, and fearlessly, to see the answer:

• You may see that, as far as you can tell, you really do know what you're talking about. In this case, try to see where they have misunderstood you or mischaracterized your position.

• It's also possible you will see that you really are ignorant on the subject. In that case, follow the proverb that says when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging. If you can muster the courage and humility, ask some questions to clarify things. These questions will very likely demonstrate your ignorance, but if you're courageous about it, it can be a great learning experience.

The good news is that, after a while (months or even years, perhaps), you will start getting a good sense of when you really understand something well enough to argue it and when you're running off your own preconceptions and prejudices. That will be a guide to you as to whether you state a strong argument, merely offer an opinion, or stay silent altogether.

Well you are off to a good start by asking for corrections from strangers you don't know. ;)

I don't really struggle with taking corrections, its more putting them into effect that I struggle with. I haven't always been like that though. The hard thing with any form of criticism, constructive or not is it affects our pride. So strip your self of all pride and you are good. (easier said then done)

For me it was a practice, the more corrections I take from people with out rejecting them, whether I appreciate it or not, the more humble I become to accept future ones more willingly. Kind of like if you don't like giving service you do it anyways and the more you do it the more you might end up liking it.

I tend to struggle with corrections, even when they are done to help me.

I think many of us struggle to one extent or another. I know I sure the heck do. On top of that, it's so very, very easy to dismiss corrections from people because they have some flaw, or their heart isn't in the right place when they offer the correction, or I'd get some pride injured by admitting they are right, or what have you.

A few things help me accept corrections:

- Shared misery - I'm not the only person who has been wrong. We're all imperfect.

- Dedication to the truth - Is the correction a real one? Do I really need to stop or start whatever the correction is about in order to be aligned with the way things really are?

- "Love thy neighbor" - even if annewandering is right, and the person correcting me may be a jerk, and he's only correcting me in order to score points or puff himself up or whatever, and it's none of his dang business in the first place - well, maybe by forcing myself to graciously accept the correction will help him out somehow. Maybe he's never known what it's like to just offer a correction out of love or concern or whatever.

- Pride - it's useful when your kid does something noteworthy. It's not useful when you place it in the way of becoming a better person.