Sending Email Anonymously

MorningStar

I need to email our landlord and attach a letter signed by many of the tenants. I started a gmail account to do so, but don't know if there is a way they would be able to identify who sent it. The tenants really fear retaliation. I would send it from my regular account if I were protected by a lease, but we're month to month and they could ask us to move out with 30 days notice for no reason. That would just anger my neighbors more, but you never know what they'll do.

Anyone know if there is anything I might overlook in sending this email? Thanks!

I need to email our landlord and attach a letter signed by many of the tenants. I started a gmail account to do so, but don't know if there is a way they would be able to identify who sent it. The tenants really fear retaliation. I would send it from my regular account if I were protected by a lease, but we're month to month and they could ask us to move out with 30 days notice for no reason. That would just anger my neighbors more, but you never know what they'll do.

Anyone know if there is anything I might overlook in sending this email? Thanks!

Create the gmail account from the public libray and send the email there. That's your safest bet. You can check the email replies from there too.

Give your email information to someone in another city and let them send it.

As long as you have set up an acount with a name that doesn't identify you.

https://www.hushmail.com/signup/ The free account should handle a normal document attachment.

If you want to be really sure, install the TorBrowser Bundle and use it to get to Hushmail.

https://www.torproject.org/projects/torbrowser.html.en

If the tenants fear retaliation I'm unsure how it being sent from an anonymous source will protected them if they've signed the letter, their names are on it. One of the issues with creating and sending from a random email is the deniability involved, if you want to be sure, and be able to demonstrate, that the letter was received I'd send a certified letter. Just find someone in the ward or someone else who is willing to allow the use of their return address and is willing to let you know when the confirmation stub shows up.

I agree with Dravin. Why an anonymous email if everyone's names are on the petition.

I also agree that sending a certified, returned receipt letter will guarantee that you know if the landlord received it.

I hope you can find someone to help you with this. I'm sorry you have a landlord that treats his tenants so badly they feel they have to be anonymous to tell him/her anything.

Have you thought about talking to the Housing Authority in your community. There are laws about the renter/landlord relationship in most communities.

If the tenants fear retaliation I'm unsure how it being sent from an anonymous source will protected them if they've signed the letter, their names are on it. One of the issues with creating and sending from a random email is the deniability involved, if you want to be sure, and be able to demonstrate, that the letter was received I'd send a certified letter. Just find someone in the ward or someone else who is willing to allow the use of their return address and is willing to let you know when the confirmation stub shows up.

What I got though is that she wasn't worried about the names but who originated it.

I agree with Dravin. Why an anonymous email if everyone's names are on the petition.

I also agree that sending a certified, returned receipt letter will guarantee that you know if the landlord received it.

I hope you can find someone to help you with this. I'm sorry you have a landlord that treats his tenants so badly they feel they have to be anonymous to tell him/her anything.

Have you thought about talking to the Housing Authority in your community. There are laws about the renter/landlord relationship in most communities.

I found tenantsunion.org and then it recommend a free legal clinic. The lawyer suggested I write a letter and have everyone sign it. If that didn't work, then take them to small claims.

What I got though is that she wasn't worried about the names but who originated it.

Isn't that the letter sender fearing retaliation though? Though I suppose the other tenants could fear on the senders behalf. At any rate I recommend a hard copy be sent and anonymity can be sought in the manner I suggested, particularly if this is part of a potential legal chain as the receipt stub from a certified letter is more concrete proof of reception then any email will provide.

I would have the attorney I talked to send it. If she charges $250.00 to do it, then go to all the signers (if 25 of them = $10.00 each) to pay for it.

Sometimes knowing that your tenants have sought legal representation, the landlord will often times back up and rethink his hasty actions.

I live in a small trailer park that is tucked within a housing development. It was new back in the late 70's & early 80's. The park owner (owns the land and collects the lot rents) had to approve us before the sale could go through. Since we have moved in, an elderly couple have moved out and the land owner purchased their home only paying the back taxes on it. Then he let a young Oh-So-Pregnant couple move in, with the caveat that they remove the exterior walls in the two bedrooms and bathroom, put in insulation after they repair the window leaks and put up sheet rock. Also the carpeting was to be removed and vinyl flooring put in.

The lot rent is to be paid monthly, and the payments on the purchasing of the house will be part US dollars and part sweat equity.

Nothing has been done, except the baby born, and a variety of people have been living there with them. LOT's of traffic. Not come, spend the day then go in the evening traffic. Or even come, spend the night and leave in the morning traffic. I mean, drive up-leave engine running, go inside house for just a few minutes, then leave.

The woman on our side of the dead end street is living in a 1960ish single wide. It tipped on its side during a Rip Snorter of a wind storm about 5 winters ago. The exterior wall has pulled away from the flooring and she has to hug the interior side of the hallway to get to the bathroom and the two bedrooms. She moved her bed from that wall too.

She is moving to the eastern part of the state, and thinks she can sell her house for $500.00. If we had the money to have that thing hauled away- we would pay her $100.00 and have it carted off. Then I could use her lot for a vegetable garden!

The other neighbors say she said that the land owner told her he will approve any buyer. IF he does approve a buyer- then he and I are going to have a serious sit down. I will get the health department involved in this! We are out of the city limits so I can't go to the city.

If he jacks my lot rent up, then he had better repair/replace the outside water spigots! And redo the incoming water lines. Water is included in my lot rent. I have to drain and flush my hot water heater every four months because of the debris coming in from the old, nasty water lines. Also, I have to share an outside water spigot with two neighbors. - Thus I have to use 150 feet of garden hose! ! I know just how difficult it will be for the land owner to kick us out of his park. If the 5 other home owners stick with me, then we can force him to remove the new parents who are selling drugs, the medical pot's two meth head adult children and the idiot across from me who is now hooked on meth. He went from cocaine to meth when he lost his full time job.

We now have three neighbors who are drug users. When we moved here, there was only one neighbor who was questionable- he used medical pot- yet both of his meth head sons have moved in and taken over.

Whew--after all that, I repeat, have the lady attorney write a cover letter and send it to the apartment owners- Certified-Return Receipt.

The clinic I went to can only advise you on what to do next and can't represent you. One guy in our complex is a prosecuting attorney though, so he might be willing to do it. :) Sorry to hear you're dealing with druggie neighbors, Iggy!

When we left Casa Grande AZ, the bulk of our neighbors were fighting drug wars.! The 3rd and 4th generation Mexican-Americans fighting the illegal Mexicans for territorial rights. Gun fights every weekend. Yes the authorities knew about it- they let them shoot each other up. They wanted the main cartels, not the little guys.

I was so very thankful that our house had 9" to 15" thick adobe walls. The front of the house was an add on of thinner sheet rock, but we never used the rooms other than for storage. So that protected us from the stray bullets.

Our one neighbor next to us, has surveillance cameras set up- his wives brother just got out of prison, and is a threat to them. He has the dealing across the road recorded on his computer.

Our next door neighbor just had to deal with the long illness and recent death of his father, so when he is ready, the rest of us are going with him to the land owner, films in hand, to tell him to start legal proceedings to get the drug users/dealers out of our little park. Give him fair warning that we will go to the authorities.

Our little town is NOT like Casa Grande- Lincoln County & State enforcement is HARD on drugs. So are the judges.

Well, they got the letter and we got an apology and I guess a compromise. They "accidentally" characterized the extra amount as rent. Hahahahaha. Now they are "asking" us to make two utility payments this month and two next month.

I'm confused. Two utility payments for two months in a row? Why? What happened to the money they thought was "extra rent" Is there such a thing as "extra rent"?