abortion

texas1992

I have had a friend for a long time and she told me last night that when she was young she had 6 abotions. She was not active in the church and actually had no contact with the church. This all happened 20 years ago. Her question is, does she need to go to the her bishop and confess since it was so long ago.

Thanks.

Considering investigators are talked to about proper understanding and repentance of abortions prior to baptism if that is part of their past I'm leaning on the side of saying yes. If it's past and repented of talking with her Bishop would clear up any lingering doubts she may have. I know some people view things differently but I'd rather talk to my Bishop about something I don't need to rather than not talk to him about something I do need to. Even if just for the peace of mind such discussion can bring.

Edited by Dravin

These situations are always a little muddy. But I'd advise her to go discuss things with the bishop. I'm not sure about it "needing" to happen. What I see is that the woman is confused and she needs to feel peace about her past so she can move forward unfettered. What is there to fear about talking to the bishop?

I have had a friend for a long time and she told me last night that when she was young she had 6 abotions. She was not active in the church and actually had no contact with the church. This all happened 20 years ago. Her question is, does she need to go to the her bishop and confess since it was so long ago.

Thanks.

Length of time since the sin is not a determining factor in whether to talk to the bishop. She absolutely should talk to her bishop.

The guideline we try to give around here is that if is bothersome enough to ask some strangers on the internet on if you should go see the bishop... Then it is worth a trip to the bishop's office to get the official word. We can not offer the calm and peace that you can get from your bishop. Go talk to him.

• 2 weeks later...

Somewhere in the Bible it talks about one sin being like another. I am not quoting ty correctly, but like if you say get mad and go get drunk, then that sin is treated just like any other sin.. sin is sin.. That why I suppose God says we aren't perfect and that is why he ask us to talk to him and ask forgiveness each day to help remove any guilt that is lingering from day to day. We sin all the time... I think also we are to hard on ourselves in life too, we strive to be perfect and kill ourselves trying when it doesn't help to go around beating oneself up minute after minute. The best way I can work on sin is by not being around people whos way of life isn't like mine staying away from them helps me alot cause they don't view things they do in life whole heart like we do. They will say oh that isn't that bad God understands but do it willingly when we struggle not to do sin. I know when i was interviewed that question came up and I have never had an abortion so the discussion was over at that point, but i often wonder if I had had an abortion what would have been done or said about that? any input on that cause I do know someone who had two abortions. JUst wondering cause it may make a difference one day in her life.

Not to disagree with some prominent members here, but at the time, she had no affiliation with the church.. Would that also mean that she did not know that it was a wrong thing to do? If me and my wife had an abortion thats an entirely different story, we KNOW that its wrong..

Im really not sure, and i really dont want to say "no its ok", but i sincerely doubt that she would have penalties for the "light and knowledge" she did not have at the time..

When i first started this comment, i did not realize your wording. I thought you said she wasnt a member. If she WAS a member, inactive or not, i believe she should. I still feel the bishop would compensate for her not knowing, but the doubt and worry is completely not worth it.

better safe than sorry :/

Not to disagree with some prominent members here, but at the time, she had no affiliation with the church.. Would that also mean that she did not know that it was a wrong thing to do? If me and my wife had an abortion thats an entirely different story, we KNOW that its wrong..

Im really not sure, and i really dont want to say "no its ok", but i sincerely doubt that she would have penalties for the "light and knowledge" she did not have at the time..

If she wasn't a member when it occurred then the issue would/should have come up at her Baptismal interview and been addressed then. Unless the question concerning past abortions wasn't part of the interview questions when she was baptized, I know they're part of the interview now but I don't actually know how far back the question has been routinely asked.

Edited by Dravin