Bishopric question

jayanna

Okay this might sound really strange, but bear with me. For the past several months my husband and I have had an inexplicable feeling, a kind of pressure that we need to ' get ready' for something. It has hung over us...get ready get ready. I have been making a more regular housekeeping schedule, we have been improving family scripture study, he has been doing a ton of yard work we have increased our food storage. That feeling is still there, he has put his resume on monster, and gone back to school, and we still don't know what we are getting ready for. I mentioned this to my visiting teacher and she was immediately under the impression that my hubby would be called as a bishop, saying that he has been in the bishopric for so long and that we would surely be changing bishops soon. I seriously doubt this, really.

But the feeling was still really heavy. I work with my bishop, and I mentioned it to him. He suggested that maybe we would be moving...and I asked if my hubby would be changing callings soon, I mean he would know since hubby its his counselor...and he replied, and this was the weird part...that well he certainly can't be the next Bishop. At first I laughed and agreed, and then I said wait, what do you mean by that? He said that since my husband had been married and divorced before he joined the church that he could not be a bishop. While I think our lives are certainly way too busy for him to be a bishop, and I can't in any way imagine being the wife of a bishop, being not even 40 yet and having a Lot to learn, I can't help thinking of all the reasons for him to not be called for something, why choose a divorce that he did not want and had to go through long before he was baptized? Was this someones odd opinion or is this actual church policy?

I know many people who have felt this sense of urgency. It happened to me a couple years ago. It is a call to prepare for the future. We are all connected and the key is to begin preparing by diligently praying and fasting often and seeking the Lord's guidance, praying for revelation as to what He specifically has in store for you through personal revelation. Generally speaking, you will receive impressions to get your house in order, pay off your debts, becoming self reliant, etc. The closer you approach total self reliance and the stronger the bond that you develop with the Lord through fasting, praying and scripture study, the clearer your answers will come. The first part of your trial will be obedience.

Okay this might sound really strange, but bear with me. For the past several months my husband and I have had an inexplicable feeling, a kind of pressure that we need to ' get ready' for something. It has hung over us...get ready get ready. I have been making a more regular housekeeping schedule, we have been improving family scripture study, he has been doing a ton of yard work we have increased our food storage. That feeling is still there, he has put his resume on monster, and gone back to school, and we still don't know what we are getting ready for. I mentioned this to my visiting teacher and she was immediately under the impression that my hubby would be called as a bishop, saying that he has been in the bishopric for so long and that we would surely be changing bishops soon. I seriously doubt this, really.

But the feeling was still really heavy. I work with my bishop, and I mentioned it to him. He suggested that maybe we would be moving...and I asked if my hubby would be changing callings soon, I mean he would know since hubby its his counselor...and he replied, and this was the weird part...that well he certainly can't be the next Bishop. At first I laughed and agreed, and then I said wait, what do you mean by that? He said that since my husband had been married and divorced before he joined the church that he could not be a bishop. While I think our lives are certainly way too busy for him to be a bishop, and I can't in any way imagine being the wife of a bishop, being not even 40 yet and having a Lot to learn, I can't help thinking of all the reasons for him to not be called for something, why choose a divorce that he did not want and had to go through long before he was baptized? Was this someones odd opinion or is this actual church policy?

Prepare for anthing that could happen in your life. The death of a loved one. A loss of job. I know of a lady who received a similar revelation and prompting, and within 5 years both her parents and her youngest brother passed away due to a car crash. Because they had been preparing all this time, it wasn't as difficult. The sad thing about this is that they were on there way down to surprise her with the good news that her father either was just baptized or he was going to be baptized.

Not trying to be doom or gloom, I am just saying prepare all things and for anything. I agree with Skalenhefl who said the first thing is obedience.

As pertaining to divorce from my understanding it is church policy regarding divorce, however your husband could be in a different boat since he wasn't a member previously.

One more thing I think I should note, if I may, on the subject of doom and gloom. While we may be prepared spiritually and temporally and while Christ may guarantee a seat for us at his right hand, it is not a guarantee of physical safety. Physical safety and temporal prosperity are not necessarily the grand litmus tests for favor in God's eyes. Only obedience is. Consider Abindai and many others like him. I have no doubt that he knew he was going to his death and he faced it like a true Christian. He faced it the way Christ did. As for the chance that your husband may or may not become a bishop, I wouldn't even get hung up on this. Do not make this the starting point of your journey. Your well intentioned friend only made a guess. Seek answers only from the Lord. He is waiting to guide you.

Jayanna, it is my understanding that a previously divorced man can be called as a bishop. But, he needs to currently be married. And I believe that the divorce needs to have been at least 5 years prior to his calling. See the thread "Qualifications of a Bishop" from back in 2011. I don't know how to link you to it, or I would.

It's in Organizations: the Priesthood Quorum's (Aaronic and Melchezidek) and Scouting forum. I happened to google "can a man be a bishop if previously divorced" and it took me right to that thread.

Edited by classylady

Was this someones odd opinion or is this actual church policy?

I don't know of any present Church policy that states that someone who has been divorced cannot serve as a Bishop. As a matter of fact, I met a couple of them and of course all of them remarried (because in order to serve as a Bishop, the person must be married). It really has nothing to do with the person being divorced but whether or not the person has remarried. Hope it helps.

A divorced person can be bishop. He must be remarried in the temple for at least 5 years to be eligible.

As for the feeling of being prepared, my wife and I have felt it, also. I think the nation is about to hit a very hard bump, and it will cause some major struggles throughout the nation (we ain't seen nothing yet). Who knows, perhaps you are moving to Missouri?