How much of a maturity difference between 1.5yo & 2yo?

Bini

So our little sunbeam is a bit of a wild child. She started biting a few weeks ago, and now she's started another thing -- random screeching! It's a bit comical when she does this at home but when we're out in public eating at a restaurant, or at church even, it's really not so adorable. The problem is that she thinks it's super funny when she does it. But, the advice you've given hasn't fallen on deaf ears. I do the whole "keep a neutral face", "don't react", and "stop interacting" but she still gets a kick out of it all by herself! Grrrr. Last weekend we went out to dinner and she was totally uncontrollable. Random screeching, the kind that is ear bleeding. DH and I had to take turns with her outside :[ It was supposed to be a date night but it ended up being a stressful evening. Now for my question.. We are planning an overseas trip in March. It's going to be a lot of traveling, and a lot of being cooped up in an aeroplane -- three flights to be exact, and the longest being 11 hours. My husband thinks we should postpone this trip for another 6 months instead of going in March. He thinks baby will be easier to travel with at 2 years old than with a year and a half year old. The main reason I want to go in March is to get together with some old classmates that will be in Hong Kong. Is 6 months really going to make that much of a difference? I think that if she's going to be a handful while traveling -- she's going to be a handful.

Most likely she will have moved on to something else she find equally fun by then. Some people think terrible twos is a myth but I do not. Every one of my kids did that stage. I would not wait for it, to go on a plane.

Only suggestion I have is kinda sneaky. Find something she does that is not horrible and make a big fuss over it. Preferably with her not knowing you are being sneaky. Probably a terrible Idea but I bet the people on the plane would be grateful if they knew.

• 1 month later...

Don't eat out with toddlers! LOL

We flew across the country when my middle child was a month shy of 2. The longest leg was about 5 hours, and she did great. Benadryl and suckers and lots of distractions helped. There is no way on God's green earth I'd take one of my 18-month-olds on a long flight right now, though, let alone both of them. Perish the thought.

Go have fun with your little one. Your child will have the same tendencies at 1.5 and 2 years old.

Unfortunately, we live in a world that has a growing disdain for young children, and their random behaviors. Evidence, stores and other places that say "No Children Allowed." I can understand private affairs, but local stores?? (facepalm)

They will only be so young for a short period of time, and as I am now with my 11 year old, 8 year old, at times I really miss those random screechings.

lol, Mom, I was going to say the same thing. My 2 yr old had a screech phase, and now she's into growling. The growling so much better, I'm really glad we taught her to do it *^.^*~

This nails the correct response. Teach her something else.

We babysit for a family once and were reviewing animal noises with their 2 or 3 year old daughter. She made the correct sounds for bird, dog, cow, and when we asked her what a lion says, she said

roar (in a whisper)

It was clear that her parents had taught her that it was funny to whisper the roar.

so pick some random, silly behavior to teach your kid and make a big fuss over it.

Something to look foward to .... or scare you .....

Never thought about this until we had both 2 & 3 year olds & teenagers in the home at the same time. It's amazing how similar the 2 are!

Once we realized that it became much easier to deal with the teenagers! In reality they are both learning to be independant & exploring new boundries, just at different levels of progression.

Sorry, don't have any suggestion for your current concerns ....

Edited by Sharky

• 4 months later...

I dont think it will make much of a difference when you go away as i have two boys, oldest being just over 3yrs and youngest being 21mths as there is 18months between them. It doesnt matter what you do, where you go, or whose around kids are gonna do it whether you like it or not unfortunately. I have this problem every day with my boys. normally first thing in the morning when they wake up one starts squealing and then the other starts we live in a three bedroom house and my partner and i are in the middle room and to hear the squealing first thing in the morning is a bit much to comprehend for me as my ears are not the best during the day its not so bad cause you can send them outside providing the weather is right but i have not yet found a way to stop them from squealing if i do ill be sure to let you know!!!! Also as for the whole biting thing, bite her back. And when i say bite i dont mean as hard as she did haha my 21mth old is still in that stage getting alot better now as he hasnt bitten anyone in a while now but my suggestion is grab her hand apply a little bit of pressure to her hand with your teeth as soon as she gives you a reaction let go and say whatever it is you tell her when telling her off for biting, mine is usually you bit mummy and it hurt its not nice dont do it again or youll go to time out or ill bite you back something along those lines anyway. I know its not much but hope it helps. Good Luck :)