Relics

mikbone

I recently was introduced to the idea that the garments that were made for Adam in the Garden of Eden by God were handed down from father to son, stolen, and then recovered until they became what we now recognize as Joseph's Coat of Many Colors. See Stolen Garment, and Alma 46:24

Which then made me wonder how many different relics are out there that we believe in.

Old Testament

Ark of the Covenant

10 comandments - Deuteronomy 31:26

Aaron's Rod & Pot of Manna - Hebrews 9:4

Book of Mormon

Brass Plates - Mosiah 1: 16

Urim and Thummin - Ether 3: 23

Sword or Laban

Liahona

Edited by mikbone

Unless the coat of skins given to Adam was made from titanium sheep, I have a hard time believing it was in good enough shape to be passed down to his children. Remember, the guy lived several hundred years doing manual labor! I have a few shirts that are close to 10 years old, but they're not going to make it to 100, let alone 900.

Unless the coat of skins given to Adam was made from titanium sheep, I have a hard time believing it was in good enough shape to be passed down to his children. Remember, the guy lived several hundred years doing manual labor! I have a few shirts that are close to 10 years old, but they're not going to make it to 100, let alone 900.

But everything was better in the good old days... :P

I recently was introduced to the idea that the garments that were made for Adam in the Garden of Eden by God were handed down from father to son, stolen, and then recovered until they became what we now recognize as Joseph's Coat of Many Colors. See Stolen Garment, and Alma 46:24

Which then made me wonder how many different relics are out there that we believe in.

Old Testament

Ark of the Covenant

Book of Mormon

Sword or Laban

Liahona

the rock that brought forth water, various altars, lightstones used by the brother of jared, temples, a chariot, a couple of boats, various weapons and armors.

True; but if your scriptural interpretation tends towards a literalist bent, I believe Deuteronomy alleges that the Children of Israel's clothing and shoes did not wear out during their entire 40-year sojourn in the wilderness. So there is at least (arguably) precedent.

Old Testament

Ark of the Covenant

Book of Mormon

Sword or Laban

Liahona

I wonder how we would properly define a "relic", especially considering the modern Church's penchant for preserving pretty much any tangible reminder of its early history.

Some potential modern-day candidates for "relics":

--the various seer stones of Joseph Smith that the Church has in its archives, at least one of which was apparently used in translating the Book of Mormon;

--the Book of Mormon manuscripts (original and printer's);

--first drafts of various revelations;

--Various geographical locations of significant past visions or prophesied future events (Sacred Grove and Whitmer farm, Kirtland temple, Salt Lake temple, Adam Ondi Ahman, etc);

--Wilford Woodruff's red silk handkerchief that was used on the "day of healing" in Nauvoo in July of 1839, which remains on display (though not labeled as such, at least as of a couple of hears ago) in the Church History Museum;

--The box Joseph first used to store the gold plates, which remains in possession of former Church patriarch Eldred Smith.

I wonder how we would properly define a "relic", especially considering the modern Church's penchant for preserving pretty much any tangible reminder of its early history.

Some potential modern-day candidates for "relics":

--the various seer stones of Joseph Smith that the Church has in its archives, at least one of which was apparently used in translating the Book of Mormon;

--the Book of Mormon manuscripts (original and printer's);

--first drafts of various revelations;

--Various geographical locations of significant past visions or prophesied future events (Sacred Grove and Whitmer farm, Kirtland temple, Salt Lake temple, Adam Ondi Ahman, etc);

--Wilford Woodruff's red silk handkerchief that was used on the "day of healing" in Nauvoo in July of 1839, which remains on display (though not labeled as such, at least as of a couple of hears ago) in the Church History Museum;

--The box Joseph first used to store the gold plates, which remains in possession of former Church patriarch Eldred Smith.

Good point.

I bet that the Catholic church has a huge depository of 'holy relics'.

One of my favorites 'relics' has to be the spear of destiny, and Hitler's obsession with it.

But I was trying to focus on objects that we as latter day saints believe to be imbued with miraculous properties.

Such as the pot of manna or the brass plates that would never rot nor tarnish.

It seems totally rational that a garment made by God's hand would not decay, Moses 4:27.

Guest Doctrine

sounds like the story i read in the book of jasher, also it is talked about in the old testament ces manual pg. 57(4-20).

in one book i read which i can not think of its title, said that the garment had power to control the animals of the earth, and one could say you control the food source, then you could rule the world.

But I was trying to focus on objects that we as latter day saints believe to be imbued with miraculous properties.

A lot of that has to do with viewpoint though, some of the items suggest by others in this thread it could be debated if they're imbued with miraculous properties or if they were a focus for God's power. Kinda like how Nephi's hand didn't have miraculous properties to shock Laman and Lemuel, it was just a focus the exercise/flow of God's power.

Edited by Dravin