Why Did He Come? Christmas 2006

prisonchaplain

Occasionally I post outlines of my lesson notes. I found this a difficult but important one to deliver this you--so thought I'd share.

Why did he come?

I. God loves us.

A. John 3:16: For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.

B. 1 Cor. 13: 4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails.

1. Jesus is patient. He forgives us 70 X 7 times.

2. Jesus is kind. He noticed the Widow’s samll donation.

3. Jesus does not envy. When Satan offered him the kingdom of this world, he refused.

4. Jesus does not boast. He said he only came to do his Father’s will.

5. Jesus is not proud. He washed his disciples’ feet.

6. Jesus does not dishonor others. He told Zacheus, the tax collector, he would eat in his home.

7. Jesus is not self-seeking. He came to seek and save the lost.

8. Jesus is not easily angered. As he died on the cross, Jesus said, “Father forgive them, for they know not what they do.”

9. Jesus keeps no record of wrongs. After Peter denied him three times, Jesus asked him to feed his sheep.

10. Jesus does not delight in evil. When Peter cut the soldier’s ear, Jesus healed it immediately.

11. Jesus rejoices with truth. When Peter said that Jesus was the Christ, the Son of the living God, Jesus responded, “Upon this rock I will build my church.”

12. Jesus always protects. When the disciples tried to send children away, Jesus responded, “Suffer the little children to come unto me.” And...are we not all his children?

13. Love always trusts. Jesus tells us that in his name we will do all that he did and more.

14. Jesus always perseveres. On the cross he declared, “It is finished!” Three days later he proved it!

15. Jesus never fails. He promised that he would come again–and he will!

II. God hates sin.

A. It really is that bad. Article offering a medical description of the day Jesus died. http://www.ourcatholicfaith.org/crucifixion.html

B. Scriptures about God’s hatred of sin.

1. Rom 6:1 What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase? 2 By no means! We died to sin; how can we live in it any longer? 3 Or don't you know that all of us who were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into his death? 4 We were therefore buried with him through baptism into death in order that, just as Christ was raised from the dead through the glory of the Father, we too may live a new life.

Rom 6:15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? By no means! 16 Don't you know that when you offer yourselves to someone to obey him as slaves, you are slaves to the one whom you obey — whether you are slaves to sin, which leads to death, or to obedience, which leads to righteousness? 17 But thanks be to God that, though you used to be slaves to sin, you wholeheartedly obeyed the form of teaching to which you were entrusted. 18 You have been set free from sin and have become slaves to righteousness.

19 I put this in human terms because you are weak in your natural selves. Just as you used to offer the parts of your body in slavery to impurity and to ever-increasing wickedness, so now offer them in slavery to righteousness leading to holiness. 20 When you were slaves to sin, you were free from the control of righteousness. 21 What benefit did you reap at that time from the things you are now ashamed of? Those things result in death! 22 But now that you have been set free from sin and have become slaves to God, the benefit you reap leads to holiness, and the result is eternal life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. NIV

III. So, what do we do?

A. Repent: 1 John 1:8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.

B. Believe: Acts 16:31: They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved—you and your household."

C. Love: Matthew 22:37 Jesus replied: " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind. 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself. 40 All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."

In English we have only one word that we use for love. There are more in Greek. Just wondering:

1: Why do you think G-d loves us?

2: Is love the most important defining attribute of G-d - if not what is?

3: Can we learn to love as G-d loves? If we do is our love equal to his or not to be considered as important?

4: How do we learn love?

5: If there is something more important to G-d than love - can we learn the more important thing. If we learn the things important to G-d and do them - are we one with G-d? If we are one with G-d d should we be classified as men or G-ds?

The Traveler

In English we have only one word that we use for love. There are more in Greek. Just wondering:

We are his creation--one that He was proud of.

2: Is love the most important defining attribute of G-d - if not what is?

I'd say love is #1.

3: Can we learn to love as G-d loves? If we do is our love equal to his or not to be considered as important? 4: How do we learn love?

These two questions actually go together. The first part of 1 Cor. 13 informs us that the fruit of the Spirit is love. So, if we are to live in (and live out) God's love, we need to be filled with the Holy Spirit, and allow him to work out his love in us. So, our love does not compete with God's love. Rather, God's love becomes our love.

5: If there is something more important to G-d than love - can we learn the more important thing. If we learn the things important to G-d and do them - are we one with G-d? If we are one with G-d d should we be classified as men or G-ds?

No, there's nothing more important. Jesus says that if we love him, we'll obey his commands. Everything stems from our love--which again originates with the Holy Spirit. So, by living in and living out God's love that is in us, we become totally reconciled to our Creator.

<div class='quotemain'>

We are his creation--one that He was proud of.

But everything is his creation -- he is proud of all his creation. Why of all his creations is man different? or is there no difference in how G-d expresses his love to man (Sorry this is such a loaded question - but I do not buy into the idea that he only loves us because he created us. I think the most critical piece of the puzzle is missing)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE

3: Can we learn to love as G-d loves? If we do is our love equal to his or not to be considered as important? 4: How do we learn love?

These two questions actually go together. The first part of 1 Cor. 13 informs us that the fruit of the Spirit is love. So, if we are to live in (and live out) God's love, we need to be filled with the Holy Spirit, and allow him to work out his love in us. So, our love does not compete with God's love. Rather, God's love becomes our love.

Let me ask the same question with different words - If we love as he loves are we equal to G-d? Or is loving as G-d loves a fantasy that can never be?

It would seem to me that the gospel is about much more that believing in G-d - it is the ultimate prof.

The Traveler

But everything is his creation -- he is proud of all his creation. Why of all his creations is man different? or is there no difference in how G-d expresses his love to man (Sorry this is such a loaded question - but I do not buy into the idea that he only loves us because he created us. I think the most critical piece of the puzzle is missing)

We are the capstone of his creation. And...perhaps this is what you are looking for...we are made in his image.

Let me ask the same question with different words - If we love as he loves are we equal to G-d? Or is loving as G-d loves a fantasy that can never be?

Neither. If we love as he loves it is because we have allowed his love to flow through us. He is the source of love. He is love. If we are filled with his Spirit, we cannot help but overflow with his love.

It would seem to me that the gospel is about much more that believing in G-d - it is the ultimate prof.

The Traveler

Since your questions are loaded (I figured you were looking for something), it's getting time to unload. Let those burdens go, hermano! :sparklygrin:

Thought - love is what makes and defines a G-d.

The Traveler

Allow me to edit: Thought - love is what makes and defines <strike>a</strike> G-d.

To which I respond: And, as his creation, I am honored to be a vessel of that love.

Followup: I do see where you're going with this Traveler. You believe that G-d is teaching us to become what He is, and that He's not merely after submissive worship, but desires to empower us to so that we can become what He is.

Traveler, it's quite appropriate to spell out His full name, God, so long as it's not being used to defile him. To me, writing "G-d" belittles who He is. He is our God.

You may have to classify the ancient scriptures and those prophets and scribes that wrote and maintined the sacred text as avoiding the appropriate spelling of G-d. There was not a single reference that followed your guidelines.

The Traveler

<div class='quotemain'>

The Traveler

Allow me to edit: Thought - love is what makes and defines <strike>a</strike> G-d.

To which I respond: And, as his creation, I am honored to be a vessel of that love.

Followup: I do see where you're going with this Traveler. You believe that G-d is teaching us to become what He is, and that He's not merely after submissive worship, but desires to empower us to so that we can become what He is.

As always you know me quite well (you should also know I am not trying to "put something over on you") - but if you would allow me to also followup and respond: I believe that G-d (as properly understood) is the "Image" or "Model" of exactly the destiny G-d has planned for man and the reason for man's creation and that defines the very difference between the creation of man and the the rest of creation. It would appear to me that G-d intends that we inherit all his attributes (including power and creator of life or "Father") - I cannot perceive of a single possibility of a difference that would separate or differentiate the saints that are "one" with G-d from G-d. Therefore I see nothing to differentiate - which I believe both defines and recognizes G-d's "unlimited" love.

The Traveler

Traveler, it's a powerful notion you propose. It's either boldy astute, or grand presumption. And, from what I understand, while not canon or binding, your contention falls within Mormon orthodoxy.

Where I stand today: I am convinced that the teaching that most distinguishes the COJCLDS is the premortal existence of humanity--and all that falls from that teaching. It's more important that the "grace vs. works" arguments, the closed vs. open canon, and perhaps even the nature of God.

Traveler, it's a powerful notion you propose. It's either boldy astute, or grand presumption. And, from what I understand, while not canon or binding, your contention falls within Mormon orthodoxy.

Where I stand today: I am convinced that the teaching that most distinguishes the COJCLDS is the premortal existence of humanity--and all that falls from that teaching. It's more important that the "grace vs. works" arguments, the closed vs. open canon, and perhaps even the nature of God.

As always you see well beneath the surface of things. The power of creation given by G-d to covenant parents married according to G-d's plan may be the most boldly taking of the L-rd's name possible. Likewise it could be the most blasphemous and vain taking of the L-rd's name to abuse the marriage covenant.

The Traveler