Standing For Truth

rosie321

Ok this topic covers a broad area of thoughts and concerns. Each question kind of reflects a different mind path.

How far do you go to stand up for truth?

What truths are worth standing for?

How do you stand for truth and avoid unrighteous offense?

Truth vs PC? Gospel vs P(olitically) C(orrect)?

Many gospel/church things if lived to the fullest might push away or anger others.

How do you gracefully point out evil so that others may not be unknowingly trapped into it?

If you see someone doing bad do you have an obligation to step out and do something about it?

Many evildoers seek out good people to take advantage of. How do you protect the innocent in this PC age without going overboard?

To what degree do we stand up and risk all?

Is there a truth worth pushing and fighting for? If so what would you consider them to be?

Another area for thoughtful discussion and personal enlightenment that I'd like is that of this board. I thought it was primarily for the LDS friends and associates or those sympathetic or friendly to the cause. Those who seek the LDS view. A place for friendly discusson but always with a tendancy to lean towards the LDS view-being it is LDS talk. However, I notice when someone states a strong LDS view they are being insensitive to others and quickly put into place. In the defense of the non-LDS (forgive me for using the terms I just don't know the proper words to differentiate) its got to be hard to hear the LDS sounding like what they have is right all the time and in a way holier than thou. To not want to challenge people in their faith because I'm sure there are many non LDS who also believe strongly in what they do. Sometimes I have seen people get treated pretty harshly not LDS and that's not right. But to what degree does an LDS site have to be all catering to non LDS view? Sorry if I'm getting into too sensitive an area or wording it in a non PC way.. I'm just curiously wondering how others grapple with this.

Far enough to explain why I stand for the truth, and how I find out what is true.

The ones I really like the very bestest.

By avoiding unrighteous offenses.

What in the world are you talking about? Please illustrate with an example, or something.

Many gospel/church things if lived to the fullest might push away or anger others.

How do you gracefully point out evil so that others may not be unknowingly trapped into it?

By trying to point out how you know it is evil... in as nice a way as you and/or I know how.

If you see someone doing bad do you have an obligation to step out and do something about it?

No... no obligation. It can be a nice thing to do, if you can do it nicely, though. It's never ever wrong to be nice. :)

Many evildoers seek out good people to take advantage of. How do you protect the innocent in this PC age without going overboard?

I don't think it's the innocent who really need the protection. My goal is to teach others how to know what is good, and to teach them how to teach other people.

To the degree we feel is required for each specific occasion.

Is there a truth worth pushing and fighting for? If so what would you consider them to be?

What's the difference between this question and the ones you asked above?

My answers: The ones I really like the very bestest, to the degree I feel is required for each occasion.

Another area for thoughtful discussion and personal enlightenment that I'd like is that of this board. I thought it was primarily for the LDS friends and associates or those sympathetic or friendly to the cause. Those who seek the LDS view. A place for friendly discusson but always with a tendancy to lean towards the LDS view-being it is LDS talk. However, I notice when someone states a strong LDS view they are being insensitive to others and quickly put into place. In the defense of the non-LDS (forgive me for using the terms I just don't know the proper words to differentiate) its got to be hard to hear the LDS sounding like what they have is right all the time and in a way holier than thou. To not want to challenge people in their faith because I'm sure there are many non LDS who also believe strongly in what they do. Sometimes I have seen people get treated pretty harshly not LDS and that's not right. But to what degree does an LDS site have to be all catering to non LDS view?

To the degree the "owner" and "moderators" of that site feel is required for each specific occasion. If we don't like the way they do things, or the rules they establish, we can leave or try to make things a little better.

Sorry if I'm getting into too sensitive an area or wording it in a non PC way.. I'm just curiously wondering how others grapple with this.

I grapple with it by understanding the rules I'm playing under and seeing if I can do anything to make the rules any better. It can be fun... when you like what you're offering. ;)

I will go ahead and voice my opinion on the topic.:

First of all, I like what was said by Joseph Smith. He said:

"The times may change but the requirements for man to gain salvation in the highest degree have never changed; nor will they ever change."

This being said, we can look to the prophets of old for examples. How far did Job go to stand up for the truth? Or Paul, or Peter. Or most significantly, Jesus? Jesus was not afraid to accuse the pharisees of being hypocrites and sinners; regardless of how offended they became. Or ask yourself this question: In the case of Job, after he had lost his family and his riches, and his friends were insisting that he had somehow sinned, and that he should ask God for forgiveness; yet he refused to do such a thing, What would have been so bad about simply asking God for forgiveness for any sins he may have committed? Because he knew otherwise; and doing so would have been going against what he knew to be true; as well as calling God a liar.

Political correctness is of the world. It is the condition of someone agreeing with the opinions of the majority of the world in order to avoid any retribution from the world.

Here is some instructions Jesus gave his apostles just before He sent them out into the world to preach: John 15: 18-19:

"If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you.

If ye were of the world the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you."

Consider also this scripture, which prophecies of our time:

2 Nephi 15: 20-23

"20 Wo unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light , and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!

21 Wo unto the wise in their own eyes and prudent in their own sight!

22 Wo unto the mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle in strong drink;

23 who justify the wicked for reward, and take away the righteousness of the righteous from him."

L.H.

Here is some instructions Jesus gave his apostles just before He sent them out into the world to preach: John 15: 18-19 - If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you."

Heh, thank you. Thinking of that always helps me feel better. :)

<div class='quotemain'>

Here is some instructions Jesus gave his apostles just before He sent them out into the world to preach: John 15: 18-19 - If the world hate you, ye know that it hated me before it hated you. If ye were of the world the world would love his own: but because ye are not of the world, but I have chosen you out of the world, therefore the world hateth you."

Heh, thank you. Thinking of that always helps me feel better. :)

You're welcome Ray.

L.H.

All the way, I think I am much more comfortable saying the truth now in this time of my life then I did in say my 20’s. You get to a point at a later age were caring if your popular or not makes you speak you mind.

All truth,

People who know me learn real fast I have standers and I am not shy in sharing my view point. I had a staff room at my old work stunned when I told them I had not had sex with my husband until we were married and why. Some were stunned others took it like a insult. What I have grown accustom to is it is more their problem then mine.

Sure it can or it can gain you a grater respect from others.

I also choose who I hang out with, I don’t slum for long if who I assonate with does not rise to a standards that I am comfortable with.

Now remember I am not a Molly Mormon type so every day worldly actions don’t send me away. They have always improved their behavior. Like they would if their mother was hearing or watching their actions. It helps that I smile and say “do you kiss your mother with that mouth”?

A lot of gracefully tact using parables or metaphors to understand were your going with a thought or advice. Ask if they want your two cents.

Yes, my son in law was mugged this last week and ten people on the train platform watched and did nothing. You cant tell me those ten did not have a cell phone ? How about a camra phone or sticking around for the cops.

It was not till our son was kidnapped my husband realized he had not asked for protection for his children during personal and family prayer, we don’t forget now. Our family is more aware of our surroundings and were and who we assonate with.

In my home, my children were taught not to rat on their siblings innless it was morally of physically dangerous. That same lesion should be applied in your actions in the world. Just think how much could have been averted on 911 if people were more aware of who they assonated with and their surroundings and who they were providing services too.

Any thing morally or physically dangerous. Even something small like not attending R rated movies, our actions speak louder then words.

Another area for thoughtful discussion and personal enlightenment that I'd like is that of this board. I thought it was primarily for the LDS friends and associates or those sympathetic or friendly to the cause. Those who seek the LDS view. A place for friendly discussion but always with a tendency to lean towards the LDS view-being it is LDS talk. However, I notice when someone states a strong LDS view they are being insensitive to others and quickly put into place. In the defense of the non-LDS (forgive me for using the terms I just don't know the proper words to differentiate) its got to be hard to hear the LDS sounding like what they have is right all the time and in a way holier than thou. To not want to challenge people in their faith because I'm sure there are many non LDS who also believe strongly in what they do. Sometimes I have seen people get treated pretty harshly not LDS and that's not right. But to what degree does an LDS site have to be all catering to non LDS view? Sorry if I'm getting into too sensitive an area or wording it in a non PC way.. I'm just curiously wondering how others grapple with this.

Can you clarify this a little more I became lost. :hmmm:

I do how ever have more non-LDS assonates then LDS.