My husband drank a cup of coffee..now what?

specka

I DO take issue with people extrapolating and/or viewing their personal choices as being more holy than mine or anyone else's... When there is absolutely nothing doctrinal about their decisions.
Life got a lot easier for me when I stopped caring what other people thought about my righteousness. I recommend it to anyone who has obtained a testimony and has gained knowledge about the gospel.
If I extrapolate that hot drinks/tea&coffee are something that people drink in the morning to wake up... As is orange juice... Therefore I abstain from orange juice... How does that make me more holy than the family next door having orange juice with their breakfast?
Another freeing thing - not caring about what I think about other people's righteousness. I don't have to be better or holier than the guy next door. I just strive to be what I'm supposed to be.

It really makes no difference to me if someone think they're better than me because I drink pepsi and they don't. And if they happen to be a better disciple than I am, then I'm happy for them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL... Before I converted... I had no problem with that!

Since then, though, there are all of these edicts on what not to wear, eat, drink, speak, do... Whom to have sex with (and whom not to)... What to spend money on, what to buy/ how much/ when, as well as time...

It all gets a bit overwhelming.

And that's before people start adding on their own predilections, takes, and versions on what's officially handed down.

It just turns me into an 80's (60s) rock anthem:

supremes.jpg

STOP! In the naaaaaaaaaaame -oof- Aaaaaaaaaaargh

Don't get me wrong... I'm used to "Oh, Im a lacto-ovo-pescatarian-vegetarian except for bacon" or "Classical-CharlotteMason-Montessori, with a little bit of Unschooling, and a smidge or two of Waldorf on an overall Unit Lesson framework, Collwge prep, of course". People can parse THEMSELVES however they durn well please.

But it doesn't make someone BETTER than to have highly personalized choices.

Homeschool, DaySchool, PrivateDaySchool, Boarding School... SAHM/ WAHM/ WM - SAHD/ WAHD/ WD... Gourmet, Foodie, Meat'n'potatos, Vegetarian, Vegan, Popper, Freegan... Breast feeding/ Bottlefeeding...

Whatever.

These are all just equally valid, different choices in our lives.

Some work best for one family, and worst for another family.

None are inherently better, nor make us better people, than someone making different choices.

We eat, school our kids, follow the Word of Wisdom & keep our covenants.

Pure. Simple. Done.

There are enough people out there who are honestly holier than I for me to grin at and look up to. Having fewer holier than thou people running around kicking people's shins and dragging them down for not "really" loving god, or their kids, or their health would be a bonus.

LOL, although Im officially assigning me'self a penance!

Since I've spent 20 minutes thinking grumpy thoughts about holier than thou dissection causers... I'm going to to spend 60 minutes looking up enlightening awesome people.

And then do what you suggest (and I've somehow forgotten how to) spend a couple hours not giving a fig what anyone else thinks! I may even test myself with a really atrocious sweater.

Q

• 2 months later...
Isn't becoming more holy something we should all try to do? You make it sound like a bad thing to try to be more holy.

You can make a point that caffeinated soda isn't against the word of wisdom, without namecalling and unrighteous judgments, you know...

Bruce R McKonkie said anyone that says that cola breaks the word of wisdom is a crank.

Cola doesn't break the word of wisdom.

Cola contains coffee extract. Caffeine.

Caffeine does not break the word of wisdom.

Wisdom suggests you make wise choices.

You can't command people to be wise.

Hot drinks including soup can scald small children.

Childrens hospitals have signs up about hot drinks being not allowed.

The word of wisdom is not a word of health.

The word of wisdom is not a word of commandment / law.