LDS Baptism without family?

I've become increasingly inspired by the LDS's concept of serving Christ and our Heavenly Father, by the love and unity the church members seem to have for one another, and by the humanitarian, missionary work they do. So much so that, having never spoken to any of the elders in my area, I have been reading on my own and praying about it and I'm pretty much convinced by the Holy Spirit that being a member of the LDS church is what my soul needs to be fulfilled. But I have a few problems.

First, my fear is that the moment you get baptized, you're on your "own" again. All the people intrinsic to preparing you for that moment of baptism then suddenly disappear back into the shadows and it's just you and your book of Mormon all alone again. I want to be useful, to be a part of something. to serve Christ, not just in my heart and in my personal life but I want to be an active part of a church. But it seems like only certain people are able to this?

Second,

A more personal issue...

I see these things of baptisms of people that finally went through with it and it is so beautiful and full of love and they are surrounded by so much support. However, I know that I won't have this. To be honest, coming from a strong Catholic background on one side and a black baptist family on the other, NEITHER side is going to accept the idea of me becoming a "Mormon." Even the one attempt at simply having a dialogue of inquiry about it led to much consternation and lecturing. I feel that to become a member of the LDS I would be turning my back and defying my family, my culture, traditions.. Which to a degree I suppose I'd be willing to do. I know that it is with the LDS Church that I would find the happiness and works that drew me to it in the first place. But the stigma, the humiliation of being labelled a "sell out" or "cult member" frightens me because I would be on my own with no support system, which doesn't seem like something the Church would prefer in an investigator/baptismee.

Should I give up on thinking of joining the church? How long or how would I go about becoming a missionary? And what do I do if the only person at my baptism is me and I don't have all the friends and family there with me?

Thank you,

Respectfully submitted.

- WantToServe

First, welcome to lds.net!

First, my fear is that the moment you get baptized, you're on your "own" again. All the people intrinsic to preparing you for that moment of baptism then suddenly disappear back into the shadows and it's just you and your book of Mormon all alone again. I want to be useful, to be a part of something. to serve Christ, not just in my heart and in my personal life but I want to be an active part of a church. But it seems like only certain people are able to this?

This is a very real situation that (depending on your local congregation) may actually happen. So I'm not going to tell you that everything is going to be a bed of roses in the garden of Eden once you are baptized.

But I will quote one of my favorite talks about missionary work from back in 1999 when I served my mission in Tennessee.

I have said before, and I repeat it, that every new convert needs three things:

1. A friend in the Church to whom he can constantly turn, who will walk beside him, who will answer his questions, who will understand his problems.

2. An assignment. Activity is the genius of this Church. It is the process by which we grow. Faith and love for the Lord are like the muscle of my arm. If I use them, they grow stronger. If I put them in a sling, they become weaker. Every convert deserves a responsibility. The bishop may feel that he is not qualified for responsibility. Take a chance on him. Think of the risk the Lord took when He called you.

Of course the new convert will not know everything. He likely will make some mistakes. So what? We all make mistakes. The important thing is the growth that will come of activity.

As a part of this process of giving responsibility, it is proper and very important that the new convert, if he be a man, is ordained to the Aaronic Priesthood. Then before too many months, he may be ordained to the Melchizedek Priesthood. He will have the fellowship of the elders quorum. He will become one of a vast body of priesthood throughout the world, men of integrity and faith who love the Lord and seek to move forward His work.

3. Every convert must be “nourished by the good word of God” (Moro. 6:4). It is imperative that he or she become affiliated with a priesthood quorum or the Relief Society, the Young Women, the Young Men, the Sunday School, or the Primary. He or she must be encouraged to come to sacrament meeting to partake of the sacrament, to renew the covenants made at the time of baptism.

It's a very good talk and you can find it here: Find the Lambs, Feed the Sheep - general-conference

Second,

A more personal issue...

I see these things of baptisms of people that finally went through with it and it is so beautiful and full of love and they are surrounded by so much support. However, I know that I won't have this. To be honest, coming from a strong Catholic background on one side and a black baptist family on the other, NEITHER side is going to accept the idea of me becoming a "Mormon." Even the one attempt at simply having a dialogue of inquiry about it led to much consternation and lecturing. I feel that to become a member of the LDS I would be turning my back and defying my family, my culture, traditions.. Which to a degree I suppose I'd be willing to do. I know that it is with the LDS Church that I would find the happiness and works that drew me to it in the first place. But the stigma, the humiliation of being labelled a "sell out" or "cult member" frightens me because I would be on my own with no support system, which doesn't seem like something the Church would prefer in an investigator/baptismee.

Assuming that your picture is of you, I think I can understand. Not only do you have various religious backgrounds, but our Church (like most religions) has a 'not-too-favorable' past in human racial relations.

The only way I can think of, to help with the transition, is to become filled with the Spirit so that it changes your life. Your family and friends will wonder what has happened... and then you can tell them.

Your next challenge may be in answering various questions about the past of the church. I would start here and feel free to PM me any questions you may have: http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/45876-scriptures-church-history-racism-blacks-scriptures.html

The Church is there for the members. Our covenants and service for the Church is truly about serving each other to bring about God's righteous purposes. So I wouldn't worry about "something the Church would prefer in an investigator". The only thing the Church is looking for, is what the Lord is looking for: repentance and a desire to follow the commandments.

In addition, you have found US! We've done a lot of fellowshipping and support for investigators and the newly baptized. Ask us and participate in our discussions.

Should I give up on thinking of joining the church? How long or how would I go about becoming a missionary? And what do I do if the only person at my baptism is me and I don't have all the friends and family there with me?

No, I wouldn't give up on thinking of joining the church. Becoming a missionary is something that can be considered after you're baptized. Don't jump the gun on that just yet. It takes preparation and study, but let's work on the first step: baptism.

Actually, I just reviewed your profile. Typically, the cut-off age for full-time missionary service is 26. If you are 30 (as indicated in your profile), you are past the cut-off age... but it's not impossible to serve. I would look for ways to serve in your local congregation as called by your priesthood leaders.

If you are the only one at your baptism... you're not. Your new congregation's bishop should be there, the missionaries... and the Spirit of the Lord will be there.

The Lord knows of loneliness in following His path. Not everyone's path is the same. Simply be willing and you'll do just fine.

Edited by skippy740

I've become increasingly inspired by the LDS's concept of serving Christ and our Heavenly Father, by the love and unity the church members seem to have for one another, and by the humanitarian, missionary work they do. So much so that, having never spoken to any of the elders in my area, I have been reading on my own and praying about it and I'm pretty much convinced by the Holy Spirit that being a member of the LDS church is what my soul needs to be fulfilled. But I have a few problems.

We get out of the church what we put into it. You can be as active in the LDS church as you choose to be. Yes some people might disappear back into the woodwork, but not because they don't care. Everyone has a life. However, when we reach out to serve others as Christ has asked us to do often we make more friends, not fewer.

Second,

A more personal issue...

With love and time your family will realize that the Church has a positive influence on your life. When they realize the positive changes they will be more open.

Converts who face option from family most often just make religion a topic not discussed in family settings.

With all things God comes first, then family, spouse, children, etc. Happily when we are putting God first everything else gets taken care of. Its called faith.

Should I give up on thinking of joining the church? How long or how would I go about becoming a missionary? And what do I do if the only person at my baptism is me and I don't have all the friends and family there with me?[\quote]

Your first step is to meet with the missionaries. Then decide. After you've received a witness of the truthfulness of the gospel (which your words seem to indicate has happened) you have an obligation to follow God. As for missionary service that will be up to you and your Bishop after Baptism.

Thank you,

Respectfully submitted.

- WantToServe

Hyena, I was in your shoes 10 years ago. I, too, come from a devout Catholic family. My family did not speak to me for years after I married my Mormon husband even after I announced that "I was born Catholic, I am Catholic, and I will die Catholic". Imagine the furor after I announced 5 years later that I chose to be baptized into the LDS Church.

Fortunately, I wasn't really alone because my supportive husband and in-laws were there. But, it wouldn't have mattered because my testimony was so strong I would have felt blessed if it was just the bishop and I. I continued to love and reach out to my family even if they were very angry/disappointed. Until today, my mother still donates to the Carmelite Sisters to pray for my salvation and for me to come to my senses and rejoin th Catholic Church.

The Church has a lot of "callings" that you can take on after you get baptized. If you're ready to take one on and the bishop hasn't assigned you one, you can ask him to give you one. I was called to teach Relief Society one week after I got baptized. I was shaking in my boots because I still call Sacrament Mass and I still call the bread Eucharist. And I can't remember the names of Nephi's brothers, let alone the prophets in the Book of Mormon. And here I am teaching infront with the wife of the Stake President in the front row! I studied for that class so hard, that I did not have time to worry about friends at Church. Lol.

By the way, I'm Filipino, and at that time that I got baptized, I was the only non-white, non-Hispanic in the ward. Now, we have 4 more Filipino families in the ward (amazing!), one black (we had 3, one died, the other is inactive), one Korean, and one is, I think Samoan, in addition to the whites and Hispanics. Yea, we're definitely a big minority but I really don't notice it because once we're in Church and doing Church activities, we are all Brother and Sister.

The black person who is inactive comes from a family of Baptists and the family put extreme pressure on her to stop going to church. She stopped going to church but for a long time, her daughter continued to attend the Activities. They still have a strong testimony but not strong enough to withstand family pressure. You might experience some of this. You will have Home Teachers when you get baptized. Cling to these teachers - remind them not to slack off on their calling! They can help you weather the family storm....

Hope this helps.

Edited by anatess

Thank you, first of all, for all your kindness and help. I also thank you all for your patience with my questions.

First, to Skippy740: Thank you for being so candid with me about the type of things I might experience once I undergo my baptism. As pleasant as I thought it might be for me spiritually, You are right to remind me that unfortunately afterwords other people have to go on with their lives as well. I believe that keeping engaged in an activity in the church will allow me to also meet other members and form an internal support group who can help guide me along.

As for the Church's past, I did quite a bit of reading on that prior to coming to this point in considering the church. Like many religions, There are a lot of myths and assumptions that are made incorrectly about the church that give investigators like me a whole slew of ill-conceived notions. Not through any intentional malice of course but from simple ignorance. Rumors abound, from racism to polygamy. I take such things as my spiritual evolution seriously, so I did a fair amount of research prior to me considering the church as a possibility for myself; In addition I'm something of a history buff. So I've done a fair amount of reading and I do not believe that the church itself was ever truly racist. Certainly Joseph Smith was not and in fact was pretty heavy-handed in his belief of abolitionism. If there was anything that could constitute racism it was due to the time and the society in which the people lived rather than the hearts of the people themselves. With the exception of Brigham Young. But it is hard to determine what his true feelings were and I have not researched it enough to make a fair determination. Regardless be that as it may, I believe that the church has left by and large the majority of its racist component behind. And if not... well I'm here to serve God not the whims of men concerned about skin colors.

We get out of the church what we put into it. You can be as active in the LDS church as you choose to be. Yes some people might disappear back into the woodwork, but not because they don't care. Everyone has a life. However, when we reach out to serve others as Christ has asked us to do often we make more friends, not fewer.

With love and time your family will realize that the Church has a positive influence on your life. When they realize the positive changes they will be more open.

Converts who face option from family most often just make religion a topic not discussed in family settings.

With all things God comes first, then family, spouse, children, etc. Happily when we are putting God first everything else gets taken care of. Its called faith.

Thank you Applepansy you make me feel much better about things. If God is telling me what to do and guiding me to this Church for a purpose it is of his design and I must have faith that I am his child and beholden to serve and honor him. And that he does not want me to be miserable. I am certain he will provide avenues of joy in my calling and service. Worst case scenario I can simply avoid discussing the church with my family members... But not my faith and works... I will not remain silent about my testimony. Thank you for the kind encouragement.

And thank you anatess. Your personal experience have me hope and insight! I did not know about these home teachers! Who are they? How long do you have them? What do they teach you? Can you fail??

Hyena - I am a black, former Catholic, relatively new convert (but around long enough to be endowed). I don't know how it is for others, but once I was baptized, I had a calling, I had stuff to do in the church, started to know people, and wasn't let a lone for a minute. : )

Seriously, I don't know what-all they have for guys, priesthood meetings, I guess, but if you convert, make sure you go to them. Get to know the other guys. Being active in Relief Society has been a great way for me to have things to do and meet people.

You won't be alone at baptism. Other people from the ward will show up. I have a convert baptism this Saturday to attend myself. When I was baptized there were a number of people there from the ward. I was surprised and humbled that folks would come out for a stranger, but they do. Since I've been baptized, I try to attend any convert baptism. So, someone will be there for you, even if it isn't family.

As to the racism, church history, etc., I just have to let it go and deal with what I've got to deal with today. People who don't want to deal with you because of race, won't deal with you. But that's the same outside of church as well, so nothing new.

I say come on in, the water's fine - and, this is a great board for asking questions. It's been very helpful for me, both before baptism and since.

Hyena - I am a black, former Catholic, relatively new convert (but around long enough to be endowed). I don't know how it is for others, but once I was baptized, I had a calling, I had stuff to do in the church, started to know people, and wasn't let a lone for a minute. : )

Seriously, I don't know what-all they have for guys, priesthood meetings, I guess, but if you convert, make sure you go to them. Get to know the other guys. Being active in Relief Society has been a great way for me to have things to do and meet people.

You won't be alone at baptism. Other people from the ward will show up. I have a convert baptism this Saturday to attend myself. When I was baptized there were a number of people there from the ward. I was surprised and humbled that folks would come out for a stranger, but they do. Since I've been baptized, I try to attend any convert baptism. So, someone will be there for you, even if it isn't family.

As to the racism, church history, etc., I just have to let it go and deal with what I've got to deal with today. People who don't want to deal with you because of race, won't deal with you. But that's the same outside of church as well, so nothing new.

I say come on in, the water's fine - and, this is a great board for asking questions. It's been very helpful for me, both before baptism and since.

Not to derail the topic, but dahlia, have you encountered racism in your congregation? Overt or subtle? Conscious or unconscious? How much of it, if any, do you think is due to misperception of reality? (E.g. many black people of my acquaintance seem to think that if someone says, "I can't stand Obama", he's really saying, "I hate black people", when what he actually means is that he can't stand Obama.)

Hyena, the hometeaching program is where in your ward, each family or individual is assigned a pair of home teachers. This is forever (I mean, until you move, until the assignments change, not forever forever). It isn't temporary based on new membership. The idea is to help members meet one another and love and serve each other. You would eventually receive an assignment as a home teacher as well.

I have had wonderful experiences with hometeaching and being home taught. I have also had home teachers that never really came. How it works out depends on the people involved as is often the case in life.

However, home teachers can be a great system of support. One thing you could do would be to ask the Elders; Quorum President for good home teachers.

I am excited for you. I know that online isn't the same as face to face interaction, but lds.net can be support of a kind, as well.

Hyena, the hometeaching program is where in your ward, each family or individual is assigned a pair of home teachers. This is forever (I mean, until you move, until the assignments change, not forever forever). It isn't temporary based on new membership. The idea is to help members meet one another and love and serve each other. You would eventually receive an assignment as a home teacher as well.

I have had wonderful experiences with hometeaching and being home taught. I have also had home teachers that never really came. How it works out depends on the people involved as is often the case in life.

However, home teachers can be a great system of support. One thing you could do would be to ask the Elders; Quorum President for good home teachers.

I am excited for you. I know that online isn't the same as face to face interaction, but lds.net can be support of a kind, as well.

Thanks! Is there any place on these forums where I can find more information about Home Teachers? I'm just curious about what it entails.. what they are supposed to do. For example are their weekly meetings with them? What is it they are supposed to do? If I'm not progressing the way the teacher thinks, can I be kicked out of the church?!! Do I have to obey this person's commands? Are they like my boss? Or like.. my priest?

Also, someone above mentioned "Endowed.." The other black person I believe. I've come across that term before, along with something called Temple Worthy or Temple Recommended... what do these things mean? Again, I'm sorry If I'm asking something that has been answered previously somewhere else in the forums.

To be honest, I just feel like my life is empty, and the only answer I keep feeling myself tugged towards is Jesus and not through my Catholic church, but through the LDS. I can't put my finger on it. It just... feels right? Like.. coming home? If that doesn't sound too cheesy...

This will help you learn about the role of home teaching within the Church. Everyone is assigned a home teacher - to help the Bishop (Pastor) with his stewardship over those in the congregation. Everyone gets a home teacher - including the President of the Church.

Duties and Blessings of the Priesthood: Basic Manual for Priesthood Holders, Part B Lesson 6: Home Teaching

Hyena, I'm very excited for you. I was then only member in my family as well. It was very hard at first. My family are still quite skeptical, but see the difference that it has made to my relationships with my husband (who converted after we met) and children. They are curious, and if they could just get past the stereotype I think some of them would join.

I do look forward to seeing some of them at church with me some day.

Home teachers, they are there to serve you. They usually teach a lesson out of a talk by a leader, or from the scriptures, or both. They see how you are doing temporally and spiritually, and offer assistance with things.

The gospel is progressive. Baptism is not the end, it is a beginning of a new life. As you progress and learn there are other ordinances that will give you tools to grow even closer to your Heavenly Father. One of these will be recieiving the priesthood! The priesthood is given as a tool for you to do the work of the Lord, and learn to be more like Him by serving those who are in need.

Another will be recieving your endowments in the temple. There are simple, yet profound, lessons and ordinances in the temple that will help you get through the challenges of this life and prepare you for the eternities. I learned a lot about it by studying the Old Testament. One of the ordinances in the temple is 'sealing'. You can be sealed to your family in the temple. When a couple get married in the temple they are sealed for eternity as eternal companions. You can also be sealed to your children, and family who have passed on.

The temple is a kind of half way point between earth and heaven. It is first and foremost a house of prayer. You can read about it on lds.org. You can go for your endowments about a year after baptism, and after you have some classes. It is a wonderful and beautiful, peacefull and calm place. Most temples have visitor centers if you would like to go to the grounds of a temple near you, look it up on Lds.org and see where the nearest one is on the temple locator, it will also say of a visitor's center is available. You can also call them and ask if they have a visitor's center. I like to take my kids to the temple grounds for picnic lunch (temples generally have gardens and benches outside) and to see the brides who have gotten married that day. I have two teen girls.

Again, I am so excited for you. You will learn so much about the gospel of Jesus Christ, about His love for us. The church gives us opportunities to not only hear the word, but to do and speak. Really, we have three ways to learn...read, hear, and do. You will be actively engaged in all three! As you attend church you will hear other members give talks. Try to remember some of their names, especially your favorite ones. After sacrament, you might approach them and say, "Thank you for sharing your talk, I really like the point you made about..." for instance. When it comes time for your baptism, a lot of people have someone give talks and such. If someone were to say, "who would you like to give the prayer at your baptism?" you would have some names to give.

There is a class for adults who are new or are just getting started in learning about things. The class is a 'Gospel Principles' class, some people call it 'Gospel Fundamentals' as it used to be called that. It is for investigators, which is a term for those who are attending that are considering joining or who have family/friends that are joining. You will meet the missionaries and a ward mission leader as well as anyone else that can come who are new members/investigators. They welcome questions.

You can also chat with members on mormon.org.

Thank you! I feel somewhat excited as well! But apprehensive too. I feel like there's really so many things I can do to serve in this church, to really make an impact with my life.. but that there's so much to learn.. so much more than I'm capable I think. The potentiality to fail terrifies me... That I might end up disappointing my fellow members, the home teachers, etc.

I'm also excited, but haven't yet contacted anyone local to come and talk to me because I really don't think I could do this with my family around. They would make it nearly impossible for me to sit with the missionary and learn what I need to do and prepare leading up to Baptism. I feel like I'd have to sneak around to accomplish this goal, as my family tends to have a "once it's done we don't care anymore" attitude, which is fine with me but... feels.. somewhat wrong? I mean, it's a magnificent change in my life.. God has purpose for me! And I would do this with little discussion or input from my family, as if I was doing something immoral.

I have much consideration to do yet. Also, I didn't see anyone really explain the difference between Temple worthy/recommend and endowed. From the gist of it, it sounds like I wouldn't be able to worship with my fellow members for a while even after baptism? I've never heard of a Church where new members aren't allowed to attend service with the others because they did not have the status to enter the Church on Sunday or whenever the service is. That's somewhat curious to me.

Temples are different than our meetinghouses. EVERY ONE is welcome in our meetinghouses. Interestingly enough, temples are closed on Sundays to allow Sabbath worship and service.

The LDS church has many thousands of meetinghouses, but Temples are a House of the Lord. Most likely, there is a meetinghouse within a few miles of you, and probably a temple relatively close by as well.

To be "recommended" for entry, one must be living their lives according to gospel standards. This is where the Temple Recommend comes in. It's a small wallet-sized document that is signed by you, your Bishop (Pastor) and your Stake President (Diocese leader). You present your recommend once you enter the doors of the Temple.

In the House of the Lord, there are many ordinances that can be performed for both the living and by proxy for the dead. One is called the Endowment. I personally think of it as the University of the Lord where we learn the way the Savior taught - through symbolism and parables - and take upon ourselves covenants and promised blessings. It has more "ritual" than almost anything else we do compared to our Sabbath day worship services, so some feel slightly uncomfortable if they are not prepared for it.

LDS Temples - Mormon Temples - Temples of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

I'm excited that you're excited! Of course, take a breath and remember to take it one step at a time. You can request the missionaries here: Mormon.org | Beliefs and People of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints You can make a request to be taught at a location of your choice - possibly the church building itself. (Missionaries would LOVE that!)

There is practically an unending amount of growth potential available. We don't have a paid clergy. All the members are given callings of service - all unpaid.

There is also a lot of great study of the scriptures and the gospel that you'll be doing. Once you begin to understand, you'll love the simplicity of the gospel.

Think of your baptism as "commencement"... the beginning of something great... versus the "be all and end all". There is MUCH growth and potential that one can experience... and we look forward to hearing about your progress.

Not to derail the topic, but dahlia, have you encountered racism in your congregation? Overt or subtle? Conscious or unconscious? How much of it, if any, do you think is due to misperception of reality? (E.g. many black people of my acquaintance seem to think that if someone says, "I can't stand Obama", he's really saying, "I hate black people", when what he actually means is that he can't stand Obama.)

I like the "I can't stand Obama" thing. If that's the standard for racism, somebody give me a white robe and hood. :D

I haven't encountered any racial issues. Being in a college town with all kinds of people, we have mixed race marriages, Asian members, a few black members other than myself, tho only 1 other is active from what I can tell. During the last stake conference, an Hispanic man bore his testimony (it was riveting). I know we have Spanish-speaking that share the church building, but I don't know if they have a separate ward or not. Our church building is the stake center and for stake meetings there are always Hispanics around and we offer headphones and an interpreter. So, even though we are in the middle of flyover country, we are a diverse area and if you have problems with the races, you would be uncomfortable in our ward.

I'm probably a different case than Hyena. I am actually mixed race with light skin and curly, rather than course, hair. I've had Hispanics come up to me and start speaking Spanish and would probably fit right in in Puerto Rico or someplace where there are a lot of mixed raced people. My whole life I have heard that darker blacks have a completely different experience living in America than lighter skinned blacks, so take that for what it's worth. I also speak English and not Ebonics. I fit in. :D

I identify black because my father was an orphan and I only know my black relatives. On the other hand, my husband was white and out here, most people take my son for white unless he has reason to mention that he's mixed. He identifies as 'mixed race' because he knows all of his father's people and wants to recognize both sides of the family.

Ah, race in America, we could go on for days...

To be honest, I just feel like my life is empty, and the only answer I keep feeling myself tugged towards is Jesus and not through my Catholic church, but through the LDS. I can't put my finger on it. It just... feels right? Like.. coming home? If that doesn't sound too cheesy...

It doesn't sound cheesy at all, my friend. I think a lot of us have had that feeling, which is why we converted.

Also, you don't have to meet the missionaries at your home. You can meet in the public library, a restaurant (tho depending on the place, it might not be the best place for a lesson), or some other public place where you can sit and chat.

Edited by dahlia

It's not cheesy at all. I know exactly how you feel! Follow your heart (the Holy Spirit) and you will do the right thing. You may loose a few friends and family members along the way, but your new ward (congregation) family will make up for it.

You are allowed into ANY meeting house to worship the Lord. Anyone is. However, the Temple is reserved for worthy (following all commandments) members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. In the Temple we learn how to draw closer to the Lord, we receive blessings and make covenants with our Heavenly Father. We do this for ourselves and for those that never had the opportunity to know the gospel.

Isn't that fantastic!!! Even if you were born in a time or place where the restored gospel was not taught, you still get a chance. Imagine that Hyena!! Your ancestors are seeing how you feel, how you are striving to find the true gospel and are waiting for you to decide.

You will learn all about that step by step...we say, here a little, there a little, precept upon precept.

You mention you would want to be a missionary yourself. You certainly can have that opportunity! Again; all that entails striving towards that goal can be explained better by having the missionary discussions. As mentioned, you might want to meet with the missionaries at the meetinghouse. Or if you were to go to a sacrament (mass) meeting and made a friend or two (or 40 LOL) you could meet withth missionaries at their house.

Good Luck my friend. Continue to pray and read your scriptures. Do you have a Book of Mormon? Heavenly Father loves you. Your Savior Jesus Christ loves and knows your heart.

Thanks! Is there any place on these forums where I can find more information about Home Teachers? I'm just curious about what it entails.. what they are supposed to do. For example are their weekly meetings with them? What is it they are supposed to do? If I'm not progressing the way the teacher thinks, can I be kicked out of the church?!! Do I have to obey this person's commands? Are they like my boss? Or like.. my priest?

Also, someone above mentioned "Endowed.." The other black person I believe. I've come across that term before, along with something called Temple Worthy or Temple Recommended... what do these things mean? Again, I'm sorry If I'm asking something that has been answered previously somewhere else in the forums.

I guess most of this has been answered already, but:

Yeah, hometeaching relationships are way more informal. They're really just friends. Other members who you can hang out with, who can help you when you need help or have questions. Right now, I am living in D.C. temporarily. We have hometeachers, and we hang out a lot--we've gone to the Holocaust Museum with them, stuff like that. A Sunday or two ago, we had a pretty good discussion about one of the talks from the last General Conference (semiannual church meeting where the prophet speaks). I see it as part of the description of what the church should be like that one finds in Moroni 6.

I guess you could think of the Endowment as Baptism 2.0. When you get baptized, you make commitments to Christ and he gives promises to you. When you receive the endowment, the same thing happens. It, along with other temple work, like baptisms for the dead or sealings, is what happens in the temple, which is closed to people without a temple recommend only because of the need to keep the ordinances there sacred. (The recommend itself is a card which says you can enter, basically).

Like others have said, the meetinghouses are open to everyone. Sometimes I think we need to make that more clear. I met a guy a few weeks ago who lives in the neighborhood of the new D.C. chapel. He thought he couldn't go in because he'd heard of temples. He was glad to know that he could visit for the Sunday service.

To be honest, I just feel like my life is empty, and the only answer I keep feeling myself tugged towards is Jesus and not through my Catholic church, but through the LDS. I can't put my finger on it. It just... feels right? Like.. coming

I think it feels like home.

Thank you! I feel somewhat excited as well! But apprehensive too. I feel like there's really so many things I can do to serve in this church, to really make an impact with my life.. but that there's so much to learn.. so much more than I'm capable I think. The potentiality to fail terrifies me... That I might end up disappointing my fellow members, the home teachers, etc.

I think this is one of the reasons that members of the church get callings. We learn to work with the Lord and become more capable. Honestly, I have felt this same thing, especially when I was a missionary or in other callings. But if you rely on the Lord, he makes you stronger and capable to do his work.

Also, disappointing other people matters very little in eternity. The relationship that matters most is the one we have with God. Not that other people don't matter--they do--but fear of failing them shouldn't scare you. They should love you and help you.

I've always enjoyed the idea that Christ is a physician of souls. We are all sick or he would not come to us.

I appreciate everyone's thoughts on the matter and I feel a good deal better about things now. I suppose many of these questions I have are pointless as they'd simply be answered in due time should I baptize into the church. Still, it is a terrifying thing.. I envy those who can just decide, "I like how this church looks, I think I'll join it." and then just walk right into Baptism. To me, deciding on a church is like going through a change of diet. You can't just assume it's a simple task of just deciding you'll do it and it's done. It's not something I can try for a while and decide I don't like it and quit. My soul, my happiness, and my relationship with God are at stake.

That said, I guess I will continue to read the Book of Mormon through first and then pray and see what I feel inside. Then maybe I'll contact a local LDS church and arrange to meet with a missionary or two.

I truly appreciate everyone here's guidance, advice, and kindness.

Keep us in the loop!

Also, the LDS church isn't one where you "drive by and join". There is a period of instruction and commitments made to conform our lives to the gospel.

My recommendation: The sooner you arrange to meet with missionaries, the more they can help guide your studies and help you determine if you want to be a member of the church.

Keep us in the loop!

Also, the LDS church isn't one where you "drive by and join". There is a period of instruction and commitments made to conform our lives to the gospel.

My recommendation: The sooner you arrange to meet with missionaries, the more they can help guide your studies and help you determine if you want to be a member of the church.

Ahhh... So meeting with missionaries doesn't mean Im engaging in actually joining the church? That was my fear, that Id reach out to missionaries and then start the ball rolling on something I wasn't ready for... that it would essentially put me onto a rocket sled to "baptism." Not that Im balking at joining the church, in truth, part of me wants to jump in with both feet right away because I feel so inspired. But then maybe Ill discover something I don't like or decide the LDS church isn't for me, which would be admittedly hard to assume since so far I have only seen that the Church seems focused around Jesus and living by his example... and I cant see anything wrong with that on the surface. But you never know I guess. Im excited and apprehensive at the same time.

I think it makes me feel tremendously better that it wouldn't be a "high pressure sales" experience if I contact the missionaries which was the one thing sort of holding me back from doing so.

Again, all of you have been invaluable to helping me work through these fears and issues!

You cannot join the LDS Church without first dressing all in white, stepping into a big vat of water, and getting dunked. Stealth joining is not possible. If you join the LDS Church, you'll know it. :)

LOL well I didnt mean that.. I meant more of that they would be constantly pressuring me to just join.. join.. join.. come on join, dont hesitate seriously come on do it now your soul is in danger hurry, haste! Lets do it this weekend, tomorrow, right away do it baptize and join!

I just didnt want to feel obligated, as if contacting the missionary was tantamount to making an appointment for baptism arrangements.

LOL well I didnt mean that.. I meant more of that they would be constantly pressuring me to just join.. join.. join.. come on join, dont hesitate seriously come on do it now your soul is in danger hurry, haste! Lets do it this weekend, tomorrow, right away do it baptize and join!

I just didnt want to feel obligated, as if contacting the missionary was tantamount to making an appointment for baptism arrangements.

You are right that you should never feel obligated to join the Church. You should join because you believe that is what your Father in heaven would have you do. No other reason.

As for whether the missionaries will pressure you: That depends on the missionaries. In general, few missionaries try to do a "hard sell" on their investigators (an "investigator" is what missionaries call people they are teaching, who are "investigating" the Church). On the other hand, missionaries know the importance of baptism -- that's why they're spending their time and money on a mission instead of at college or somewhere else -- and they usually come to care about the people they're teaching, so yes, they often will encourage people to get baptized, especially if they can tell the people know it's what they should do but are just hesitant to do so.

Heh, when I was a missionary I talked to tons of people that didn't get baptized. No, talking with the missionaries is just one of the best ways to learn LDS doctrine quickly.

Most missionaries--if they are good missionaries--will not pressure. They will teach. They will help you learn to hear the voice of the Spirit. But they won't pressure. Not like that.

We want people to learn that their Father in Heaven wants them to be baptized. It is hard for people to learn that if they are being harassed.