Tithing Settlement & Full Tithe Question/Opinions

Sharky

Your example is one of running a business that I explicitly stated I was excluding from my expression of concern

Take the example from line 3 onward then, you are left with essentially the same thing. The point, for the OP, is that how you determine your honest tithe is between you and the Lord, and it is likely that whichever you way you decide will NOT be ok with someone else. It doesn't matter. What matters is if it is ok between you and the Lord.

-RM

The point, for the OP, is that how you determine your honest tithe is between you and the Lord, and it is likely that whichever you way you decide will NOT be ok with someone else. It doesn't matter. What matters is if it is ok between you and the Lord.

The "between you and the Lord" part is where the fudge factor comes in. There are any number of people with enough of an entitlement mentality that they will live in America, the richest country this world has ever known, and will decide that THEY HAVE NO INCREASE. Yep, because after they make their mortgage (or rent) payment, pay for their food, make their car payment and buy gasoline, pay for their TV and internet access, buy clothes, spend a perfectly reasonable amount on movies and such, and make their 401K contribution -- well, they just have no increase at all. No money left over. So, you see, they are exempt from tithing, because THEY HAVE NO INCREASE. Or maybe they pay ten bucks, or a thousand, and call it good.

In such cases, it is perfectly legitimate for the bishop to say, "No, you have not paid an honest tithing." And if asked for their opinion, people are perfectly correct to spell bologna b-a-l-o-n-e-y.

The "between you and the Lord" part is where the fudge factor comes in. There are any number of people with enough of an entitlement mentality that they will live in America, the richest country this world has ever known, and will decide that THEY HAVE NO INCREASE. Yep, because after they make their mortgage (or rent) payment, pay for their food, make their car payment and buy gasoline, pay for their TV and internet access, buy clothes, spend a perfectly reasonable amount on movies and such, and make their 401K contribution -- well, they just have no increase at all. No money left over. So, you see, they are exempt from tithing, because THEY HAVE NO INCREASE. Or maybe they pay ten bucks, or a thousand, and call it good.

In such cases, it is perfectly legitimate for the bishop to say, "No, you have not paid an honest tithing." And if asked for their opinion, people are perfectly correct to spell bologna b-a-l-o-n-e-y.

Which is kinda what Peter said to Ananias... So yes, it's between Ananias and the Lord but Peter gets to have the authority to have a say in it.

No Sharky, Income does not define Increase & Interests. Income is used by the Church as specifically stated in the Handbook of Instructions to GUIDE people on how to determine Increase & Interest. The Handbook does not use Income to DEFINE Increase...

What is a "Definition"?

A definition is essentially a GUIDE to help one understand the meaning of or what is meant by a specific word or phrase of words ..... Hence, the word Income is in fact a term used in the defining of Increase & Interests.

Now if you want to split hairs ...... I said "people have used" not "The Church" says.

Edited by Sharky
added the last few words that for some reason didn't post.

I totally get that estradling, but that doesn't give us wholesale license to manipulate the English language. Income has a very distinct definition.

Huh. I've always seen "income" as more or less synonymous with "revenue". Certainly there's a legal distinction between the two - but Malachi (and, for that matter, the D&C) antedate the Internal Revenue Code; so I don't think you can apply IRS terminology to scripture.

FWIW: When I ran my own law practice I was extremely careful to keep my personal affairs separate from my LLC; but I lived in a ward with several professionals (mostly dentists or others in the medical profession) who thought nothing of buying cars, clothes - even real property - in the name of their corporate entities. If you're sloppy about that kind of thing, I can see where trying to determine "income" for purposes of tithing can become a real headache very quickly.

Edited by Just_A_Guy