Why are you LDS?

M_T_E

Honestly, the answers I have received here have been the most genuine I have ever "heard"/seen. I was not given a choice in my path as a child, but I have no regrets.

I accidentally ended up at the Portland temple recently, spoke with missionaries in the visitor center and there was nothing awkward at all about that time there. Interesting to say that while on Temple Grounds there was a strange calming peace about me.

Got sent on my way with the Book of Mormon and over the past several days I have done a great deal of online research and skimmed through Nephi.

In a way I can agree with alot of the views of the Church.

I know about the Golden Plates, Thomas S. Monson, Words of Wisdom, ect. From what I see before me is a not just one of the quickest growing religions in the world but also one that has good values and is closer knit than what I grew up with.

It's sad to see how misunderstood the LDS Church is to those who don't take the time to research, learn and ask about it. Alot of the common misunderstandings that I was led to originally believe have essentially been cleared up at this point.

How many of you have served missions? What was that experience like?

That calming peace was from the Holy Ghost. You have begun to feel its influence as this seed grows. Perhaps some day soon, it will bear fruit.

I served my mission in the Munich, Germany area way back in 1989. It was an extremely challenging, but very fulfilling experience. I shared the gospel with people not only from Germany, but many other neighboring countries and of various religions. I learned that the universal language of love transcends all faiths, but the source is the same: Jesus Christ. I loved the area, the people and the food! :)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many of you have served missions? What was that experience like?

I served in the San Antonio Texas mission from 95-97.

It was truly one of the greatest times of my life, and one of the hardest mentally. It was a time I never felt so much love from so many people, and a time I felt a lot of hate from other people.

The ability to serve a mission allowed me to make my own decisions, to learn to trust in my Heavenly Father, and to gain knowledge (the opportunity to gain knowledge) unlike any other time in my life -- gospel knowledge that is.

I began to learn to value of service and why the Lord has asked us, to love our neighbor as ourselves.

My mission provided me sure and true witnesses of the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I also gained an idea of what it was like for my parents to be taught the gospel when they were in their twenties.

I met wonderful people.

That calming peace was from the Holy Ghost. You have begun to feel its influence as this seed grows. Perhaps some day soon, it will bear fruit.

I served my mission in the Munich, Germany area way back in 1989. It was an extremely challenging, but very fulfilling experience. I shared the gospel with people not only from Germany, but many other neighboring countries and of various religions. I learned that the universal language of love transcends all faiths, but the source is the same: Jesus Christ. I loved the area, the people and the food! :)

I can imagine every possible location internationally presents its own unique challenges, German is not an easy language to learn. I am learning Russian right now, Rosetta Stone works wonders.

Holy Ghost? The Portland Temple just amazed me in general with its beauty and serenity despite a major freeway nearby. But those cars and trucks flying by and break neck speeds fall upon deaf ears after you enter the grounds. Didn't have the opportunity to view inside of the temple. I am curious about what it is like on the inside though.

Inside is even more peaceful. Not for lack of noise, but the absence of the world. The fruits of the Spirit (Holy Ghost) are more prevalent--peace, love, joy, etc.

As for Germany, I was fortunate enough to have taken four years in high school and one year in college, but over in Germany is where I truly learned the language, to communicate effortlessly in various dialects. This is another fruit or gift of the Spirit--gift of tongues.

I could imagine it being so. I drove through Utah recently, however I was on a fast track home. So sadly I had to bypass Salt Lake and go straight through Ogden after coming through Wyoming passes. That was the first time I have decided I had wanted to see what a Temple looked like, sad to say the bypass conflicted and made visiting impossible.

I know Sign Language. I'm not fluent anymore but I can carry a conversation when need be. Eventually when I become fluent in Russian I will likely seek out another language, hopefully..

Before temples are dedicated, they are opened to the public as an "open house." All are welcome to guided tours. I live in Brigham City, Utah where one was just built and dedicated. If there is a temple anywhere near you under construction, keep an eye out for its completion and visit it when they have an open house tour.

Before temples are dedicated, they are opened to the public as an "open house." All are welcome to guided tours. I live in Brigham City, Utah where one was just built and dedicated. If there is a temple anywhere near you under construction, keep an eye out for its completion and visit it when they have an open house tour.

Sad to say the only local one is the Portland Temple right across the river, only other area within my drive range I could imagine being a potential is Seattle. If it already doesn't have a Temple that is.

Wow, the beauty of the architecture and design of the inside has me almost at a loss of words. Thank you for sharing this with me Pam.

You are very welcome. Keep in mind these pictures would have been taken prior to it being dedicated to the Lord.

I believe a majority of the Temples that were under construction were internationally? I had seen a list about two days ago, but it was a brief glimpse while on wifi at work

There was a time when I could name every single temple. That has so changed. I can't even begin to name them now.

I served my mission in southwestern Russia. It was awesome. It is a fascinating country, and I love the language. What have you thought of it so far?

Russia is interesting religiously because people there seem to be mostly agnostic/Russian Orthodox. Nearly everyone was baptized as an infant, but people tend not to be practicing, although there are plenty who do. Religion is kind considered something you do when you are old, culturally. There are protestants there, and some of the best conversations I had were with them, as well as some of the most odd.

Of course, Russia has many religions. I also spoke with Muslims, sun worshipers, and people trying to follow Russian pagan religions that Russian Orthodoxy replaced.

Trying to teach people the gospel, and moreso in another language, is difficult, sometimes depressing, and one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. It was hard, but I loved it, and when you see someone's life improve, see someone's happiness, it is all worth it.

That is cool that you were at the Portland Temple. That is where I got married. There is a picture of it on the wall above me. It really is beautiful. One of my favorites.

I am Mormon because I want to know the Father I knew when I was younger. I was raised in the church, but the experiences I remember best are those when I was praying alone. I talked to God, and I knew he was there. I have tried several different ideas about the way the world works, and the one with which I felt closest to God is Mormonism. I believe its doctrines; they speak to my mind and heart like no other theology I have read. The gospel has made my life richer and given me the chance to see God's hand in many lives.

There was a time when I could name every single temple. That has so changed. I can't even begin to name them now.

I looked at the temple site and then spent a good 20 minutes looking around at the Philadelphia and other temple info. I know someone who will be 12 minutes from a new temple (just did the google map calculation).

Wow. 12 minutes from a temple! The way things are going, I think that most of us in developed countries will be no more than 2-3 hours from a temple - but 12 minutes is pretty neat!

It is amazing to see all the temples going up - and that the Church has the wisdom to see that not every temple has to be like the ones in SLC or DC. A smaller temple is still a temple!

I looked at the temple site and then spent a good 20 minutes looking around at the Philadelphia and other temple info. I know someone who will be 12 minutes from a new temple (just did the google map calculation).

Wow. 12 minutes from a temple! The way things are going, I think that most of us in developed countries will be no more than 2-3 hours from a temple - but 12 minutes is pretty neat!

It is amazing to see all the temples going up - and that the Church has the wisdom to see that not every temple has to be like the ones in SLC or DC. A smaller temple is still a temple!

Someone can correct me if my memory is wrong..but I think I heard in General Conference that 85% of the membership of the church is now within 2 hours of a temple.

What are new converts often referred as?

Brother or sister, it really doesn't get much more complicated then that. Contrary to popular belief, there aren't that many rungs in the LDS Church. Most ladders seem to be internalized rather then external--however long or complicated is up to the individual.

Brother or sister, it really doesn't get much more complicated then that. Contrary to popular belief, there aren't that many rungs in the LDS Church. Most ladders seem to be internalized rather then external--however long or complicated is up to the individual.

Could you explain what you mean by this?

I have see several different names float around online, but figured would rather hear it from a direct source.

I was under the impression that "Sister" was a title reserved for a Missionary? Just like "Elder", or is that title something that goes beyond that?

I served my mission in southwestern Russia. It was awesome. It is a fascinating country, and I love the language. What have you thought of it so far?

Russia is interesting religiously because people there seem to be mostly agnostic/Russian Orthodox. Nearly everyone was baptized as an infant, but people tend not to be practicing, although there are plenty who do. Religion is kind considered something you do when you are old, culturally. There are protestants there, and some of the best conversations I had were with them, as well as some of the most odd.

Of course, Russia has many religions. I also spoke with Muslims, sun worshipers, and people trying to follow Russian pagan religions that Russian Orthodoxy replaced.

Trying to teach people the gospel, and moreso in another language, is difficult, sometimes depressing, and one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. It was hard, but I loved it, and when you see someone's life improve, see someone's happiness, it is all worth it.

That is cool that you were at the Portland Temple. That is where I got married. There is a picture of it on the wall above me. It really is beautiful. One of my favorites.

I am Mormon because I want to know the Father I knew when I was younger. I was raised in the church, but the experiences I remember best are those when I was praying alone. I talked to God, and I knew he was there. I have tried several different ideas about the way the world works, and the one with which I felt closest to God is Mormonism. I believe its doctrines; they speak to my mind and heart like no other theology I have read. The gospel has made my life richer and given me the chance to see God's hand in many lives.

Russian so far has been enjoyable, although tough. I have always been able to somewhat 'impersonate' the accent somewhat, but when it comes to rolling R's that gets a bit tough. I am hoping by years end for 2013 I will have become atleast somewhat fluent to a degree.

Since we all believe that we are literal children of a loving Heavenly Father we call each other Brother and Sister.

Missionaries have the title Sister (for females) or Elder (for males) during their mission. Elder is also an office in the priesthood.

I hope this clears up some things and doesn't confuse.

Mags

I have see several different names float around online, but figured would rather hear it from a direct source.

I was under the impression that "Sister" was a title reserved for a Missionary? Just like "Elder", or is that title something that goes beyond that?

No since we are all brothers and sisters we call each other such. Such as I would be Sister ****** and my brother would be Brother *****. Elder is a title that we use for both male missionaries and for our general authorities (leaders) in the church.