Move In with In-Laws?

MichaelPAGuy

I need a bit of advice...My wife is almost 7 months pregnant and is having problems with the pregnancy because of high blood pressure. Her doctor has already put her on medication and has ordered her hours at work cut down to 16 a week. We both feel it is just a matter of time before she goes on permanent bed rest. My In-Laws have offered for us to move into their home for the next year (we have our own home already and would rent our hose out during this time) to help relieve our financial stress and to have someone with my wife during her bed rest. My In-Laws already have 2 of their children and 2 grandchildren living with them. They have assured us that this is what they want, to help us out. I guess I am asking, what should I do?

You seem hesitant about the move, and moving in with family is often stressful. Especially when there are already so many people living there.

How much do you need the financial break here? Is there anyone else who could stay with you if/when your wife goes on bedrest?

My In-Laws have assured me that this is not a burden on them, as they already have sleeping arrangements made up. They say they want what is best for my wife and our unborn baby. There is really nobody else we can stay with, and if we made the move we would be able to save a lot of money financially. My sister-in-law and her two children will only be there until May/June. Right now with my wife's hours being cut back we really need the money to save.

Indeed, your wife is the one who will potentially be on bed rest!

It sounds like there are many benefits to this, though there still might be stress with the new living arrangements. If you go this route, make sure there are boundaries with the other family members.

Ditto - go with what your wife feels here.

My wife was on permanent bed rest for the last several months of her 2nd pregnancy. In a monumental outpouring of charitable service, almost two dozen different mommies signed up to watch our 3 yr old during various days, so dad could go to work and mom could sit there in an empty house and stare at the wall and go crazy. 9 years later, we're still humbled and awed at the meaningful service given by so many mommies. But if we had an option like yours, I think we would have jumped at it.

Assuming family dynamics will help your wife instead of be a source of frustration to her. If she's on good terms with her parent's family, if they'll help her rest - go for it.

Is there a reason you are hesitating? Do you get along with your in-laws? Is there something more causing you to ask this question here that you haven't told us yet?

Just wondering. I could never move in with my in-laws, personally. So, I'm wondering if you are in the same situation to some degree~

Another option is to see if you can take in a female boarder, maybe with a baby? Help out a repentant unwed mother? Get income AND a companion for your wife?

be SURE you pray about what to do WITH your wife as the main decider- yep her relationship with her folks is major here! Do they let her be an adult?

Another option is to see if you can take in a female boarder, maybe with a baby? Help out a repentant unwed mother? Get income AND a companion for your wife?

be SURE you pray about what to do WITH your wife as the main decider- yep her relationship with her folks is major here! Do they let her be an adult?

Is there a reason you are hesitating? Do you get along with your in-laws? Is there something more causing you to ask this question here that you haven't told us yet?

Just wondering. I could never move in with my in-laws, personally. So, I'm wondering if you are in the same situation to some degree~

This is what I was suspecting. It might be a great move for your wife, but you might not like it so much...

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice that ha sbeen given. I love my in-laws and get along great with them. I could not have asked for better in-laws. My only problem with the situation is putting my in-laws out with a tough situation, and they raised their children so having a newborn in the house in a few months might be too much to handle. I talked extensively with my father-in-law and he assured me that my wife and I are not putting them out and they only have our well health and safety at heart. Also, my sister-in-law and her 2 daughters have left the house and she moved in with her in-laws. Thank you everyone for the kind words, I greatly appreciate it.

How confident are you in renting out your house very quickly to reduce any financial strains? Is it in rentable condition now?

Are you ready to be a landlord with contracts, maintenance, etc.?

How many months of vacancy can you handle? If it's less than 3 months... you may have additional financial stress.

Just because you know someone in the church doesn't mean that they would make a good tenant.