All those baby-related classes at the hospital...

Backroads

Could be beneficial for first-time moms, especially if they have lactation classes.

Not much benefit to those who have-been-there-done-that except to network with possible playdate groups.

The lactation class is one that interests me. I can attend one, or attend it plus a bunch of others for one discouted price. Part of me thinks it might be worth it to get the extra, but if it's stuff I can learn from just asking questions of my doctor...

Never attended one so I wouldn't know. Our hospital (or anyone in town) didn't offer them until I was on #3. Didn't see a point by then. lol

What I did find helpful was doing a lot of reading. Be informed. Not just on what the hospital thinks is the birth process (what I did with the first 4 lol) but what natural community says. Learn what you can about mother natures birth process (#5 huge difference). It doesn't mean you can't/won't use what the hospital has to offer but that you can make informed decisions.

What I did find helpful was doing a lot of reading. Be informed. Not just on what the hospital thinks is the birth process (what I did with the first 4 lol) but what natural community says. Learn what you can about mother natures birth process (#5 huge difference). It doesn't mean you can't/won't use what the hospital has to offer but that you can make informed decisions.

I just read "HypnoBirthing" last week, and that was very informative. I don't know if I'm ready to swear off any pain help, but natural birth is something I have been considering.

I went because it was also helpful to my husband. They encourage couples to go. For first timers those classes can be valuable. A lot of women stressed over getting or the possibility of getting an epidural. These classes often have an anesthesiologist talk about what happens and also answers questions. I say go.

Backroads, the idea of au naturale is a blissful one but don't set yourself up for one birthing process outcome. Things can change at any given moment. A safe delivery and healthy baby is of the utmost importance. I wish I hadn't put so much unnecessary stress upon myself to have a No-Med Vaginal delivery because it didn't pan out that way. I went up to 8 then baby was stuck. They prepped me and within an hour later I was having a cesarean. Just keep your options open.

Backroads, the idea of au naturale is a blissful one but don't set yourself up for one birthing process outcome. Things can change at any given moment. A safe delivery and healthy baby is of the utmost importance. I wish I hadn't put so much unnecessary stress upon myself to have a No-Med Vaginal delivery because it didn't pan out that way. I went up to 8 then baby was stuck. They prepped me and within an hour later I was having a cesarean. Just keep your options open.

Tis my plan. I have actually used your story as an example when I express how I'll go with whatever seems best at the time. My biggest reason for wanting to go natural is because friends have said they felt much better faster, but I also think I might get in there and think "whatever, give me drugs". Which is okay.

Tis my plan. I have actually used your story as an example when I express how I'll go with whatever seems best at the time. My biggest reason for wanting to go natural is because friends have said they felt much better faster, but I also think I might get in there and think "whatever, give me drugs". Which is okay.

I did not take anything med-wise until my OB said it was necessary to undergo a cesarean. I was bummed about the c-sec. Just keep your options open.

With my first pregnancy I wanted to know everything. I read a lot of books. I went to birthing classes that stressed no meds. I'm glad I went to all the classes and learned as much as I could. But, I had some complications (preeclampsia) during the latter stages of pregnancy and birth. During the birth, I kept refusing all meds. The hospital was ready to send my husband and me to a high risk hospital. I finally realized the important thing was a healthy baby (and mom), and finally gave consent to the help I needed. After I had to be hooked up to meds, monitors, catheter, and pitocin, where I simply couldn't relax through the contractions anymore, I agreed to an epidural. Ah, such blessed relief.

I had guilt for years, that I had failed somehow. Now, I can see how silly that was. I didn't need to carry that burden of guilt. The important thing was to get a healthy baby here, and still have me around to take care of him.

Backroads, check the hospital for birth classes where you plan on having your baby. The additional perks of hospital classes is the tour they give of the maternity ward. You'll get to see the labour rooms for expectant mothers, the nursery, and the recovery rooms for after delivery. So if you haven't already, I would encourage you to signup for a class and attend with your husband. From your class you may expect:

• Question and answer session on labour and birthing (they go over Braxton Hicks, whether or not video and or photography is allowed during delivery etc.)
  • Viewing real life birth stories in various scenarios (these are graphic, obviously)
  • Discussion on a Birth Plan (if you choose to do one and what to include)
  • Discussion on postpartum care of mummy and baby
  • Discussion on having a VALID carseat PROPERLY installed (you cannot leave the hospital until a nurse verifies this)
  • A tour of the maternity ward
  • Interview and show-n-tell from anesthesiologist

I was also a member on BabyCenter and while it was very helpful, there are a lot of uneducated opinionated women on there, not to mention hormonal. Listen to the stories and consider suggestions from BTDTM but always consult your OBGYN for actual medical advice.

With my first pregnancy I wanted to know everything. I read a lot of books. I went to birthing classes that stressed no meds. I'm glad I went to all the classes and learned as much as I could. But, I had some complications (preeclampsia) during the latter stages of pregnancy and birth. During the birth, I kept refusing all meds. The hospital was ready to send my husband and me to a high risk hospital. I finally realized the important thing was a healthy baby (and mom), and finally gave consent to the help I needed. After I had to be hooked up to meds, monitors, catheter, and pitocin, where I simply couldn't relax through the contractions anymore, I agreed to an epidural. Ah, such blessed relief.

I had guilt for years, that I had failed somehow. Now, I can see how silly that was. I didn't need to carry that burden of guilt. The important thing was to get a healthy baby here, and still have me around to take care of him.

I have one friend in particular who champions natural birth. Even had an article in the newspaper about her with all her natural home births. I'm impressed by it, but I also feel modern medicine exists for a reason. I don't like the idea of completely unnecessary intervention, but I also don't see a reason to be ridiculously stubborn about a natural birth OR feel bad about having one/not having one.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a natural vs anything else thread. I was just saying that understanding the natural process is important to understanding everything else. It made a huge difference for me even after having had 4 kids already. I found that to be the most helpful and is the one of the things I would change if I had to do it over again. So as far as classes go, in my opinion, make that education part of it.

I will be the last to judge, I've had 4 epidurals. lol

I also like the idea of going as a couple. I did a lot of reading but my husband did not. I think having your husband educated to the process is a good idea. If it takes a class to do that then sign up.

I had an acquaintance who was expecting her fourth baby. She knew she wanted an epidural. She'd had epidurals with her other three births. So, she figured she didn't ever need to take natural child birth classes. Well, her fourth baby decided to come pretty quickly. There was no time to get an epidural. The baby was delivered at home, before they could even get to the hospital. She says she is a firm believer in childbirth classes, of any kind, because you never know what's going to happen.

Sorry, didn't mean to turn this into a natural vs anything else thread. I was just saying that understanding the natural process is important to understanding everything else. It made a huge difference for me even after having had 4 kids already. I found that to be the most helpful and is the one of the things I would change if I had to do it over again. So as far as classes go, in my opinion, make that education part of it.

I will be the last to judge, I've had 4 epidurals. lol

I also like the idea of going as a couple. I did a lot of reading but my husband did not. I think having your husband educated to the process is a good idea. If it takes a class to do that then sign up.

What I liked most about the Hypobirthing book was that it gave me a better understanding of just what my body will be doing more than any other pregnancy book I've read to date. So even if I do wind up getting an epideral or something, that knowledge and the relaxation techniques will still be helpful.

As for attending as a couple, that's a great idea. My hospital's class website advertises the pricing as "__$ per couple" which I find encouraging.