How do you Interpret this Verse?

Anddenex

60 Every elder, priest, teacher, or deacon is to be ordained according to the gifts and callings of God unto him; and he is to be ordained by the power of the Holy Ghost, which is in the one who ordains him. (Doctrine and Covenants, Doctrine and Covenants, Section 20)

I would like to know how others interpret this verse, especially the last statement of this verse.

President Joseph Fielding Smith said: "Without the Holy Ghost there can be no priesthood, let us now say, conversely that without the Priesthood there can be no gift of the Holy Ghost."

Doctrine and Convenants 84:19-21

19 And this greater priesthood administereth the gospel and holdeth the key of the mysteries of the kingdom, even the key of the knowledge of God.

20 Therefore, in the ordinances thereof, the power of godliness is manifest.

21 And without the ordinances thereof, and the authority of the priesthood, the power of godliness is not manifest unto men in the flesh;

I have always taken this to mean that, as the Melchizedek Priesthood administers the Gift of the Holy Ghost, that is the key to the mysteries of Godliness, which is also how the power of godliness is present in the ordinances. Ordinances, of course, includes ordinations. The power of the Holy Ghost and the power of the priesthood are all wrapped up in each other--it is all the power of God.

It amazes me how much of a role the Holy Ghost plays in our lives and in the role of the Church and Gospel.

Indeed, we cannot not even truly teach the Gospel without the Holy Ghost. The quotes below are from the "Teaching, No Greater Call" manual.

“When a man speaketh by the power of the Holy Ghost the power of the Holy Ghost carrieth it unto the hearts of the children of men” (2 Nephi 33:1). No mortal teacher, no matter how expert or experienced, can bring the blessings of testimony and conversion to another person. That is the office of the Holy Ghost, or the Spirit. People come to know that the gospel is true by the power of the Holy Ghost (see Moroni 10:5; D&C 50:13–14).

As we teach the gospel, we should humbly recognize that the Holy Ghost is the true teacher. Our privilege is to serve as instruments through whom the Holy Ghost can teach, testify, comfort, and inspire.

Not only can we not teach truth without the Holy Ghost, but we cannot learn truth without the Holy Ghost.

“By the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things” (Moroni 10:5).

Can we bear testimony without the Holy Ghost? No, not even that can be done without the Holy Ghost.

“No man can say that Jesus is the Lord, but by the Holy Ghost” (1 Corinthians 12:3).

To me, it is just humbling to really think about the role of the Holy Ghost, and to ponder how much we rely on, and need, the Holy Ghost.

60 Every elder, priest, teacher, or deacon is to be ordained according to the gifts and callings of God unto him; and he is to be ordained by the power of the Holy Ghost, which is in the one who ordains him. (Doctrine and Covenants, Doctrine and Covenants, Section 20)

I would like to know how others interpret this verse, especially the last statement of this verse.
As imperfect humans we place our hands on another's head and may confer the right to the priesthood, but it is clear that we do not confer the power. Only the Lord through the Holy Ghost can confer the power of the priesthood upon us and ordain us to a place in the Heavens. Such a priesthood blessing is reserved for those who exercise faith, keep their covenants, and obey His ordinances. Thus Jacob can say, "I, Jacob, having been called of God, and ordained after the manner of his holy order, and having been consecrated by my brother Nephi..." (2 Ne 6:2) Note the separation of terms, he says he was called of God but he was consecrated by Nephi.

Parley P. Pratt mentioned an interesting occasion which also points to this same fact. He said, "Brother Joseph while in the spirit, rebuked the Elders who would continue to lay hands on the sick from day to day without the power to heal them. Said he: "it is time that such things ended. Let the elders either obtain the power of God to heal the sick, or let them cease to minister the forms without the power!" (Autobiography of Parley Parker Pratt 3rd Ed. p 293-294)

Thank you for the insights shared, and I am always comforted when my thoughts are inline with others, and their understanding also.

Thank you for sharing additional scriptures.

I appreciate the quote from Parley P. Pratt,

Said he: "it is time that such things ended. Let the elders either obtain the power of God to heal the sick, or let them cease to minister the forms without the power!"

We all have gifts or talents. This is also true for priesthood holders. The Lord expects the priesthood holder to seek the spirit for the gifts needed to achieve the work that priesthood holder has; within his personal life, family life, professional life, and church life.

These gifts are Gifts of the Spirit, hence the Spirit ordains them upon us.

This is what that verse means to me.

That at the time of ordination, the one doing the ordaining must be in touch with the Holy Ghost, which is the perfected spirit of a man, for the ordination to be binding in God's eyes.

Directly related to:

D&C 121:34-37

34 Behold, there are many called, but few are chosen. And why are they not chosen?

35 Because their hearts are set so much upon the things of this world, and aspire to the honors of men, that they do not learn this one lesson—

36 That the rights of the priesthood are inseparably connected with the powers of heaven, and that the powers of heaven cannot be controlled nor handled only upon the principles of righteousness.

37 That they may be conferred upon us, it is true; but when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.

These verses explain exactly how one can be conferred the priesthood, but if they are not living in accordance to the commandments to have the Spirit be a constant companion... this is how they lose the POWER of the priesthood.

As another thought, in the original verse, if we substitute 'sustain' instead of 'ordain'... yes, it changes the meaning, but also gives a different insight that one must be sustained by the Spirit to use the priesthood.

Guest gopecon

I think the scripture is speaking more about how things should be than the mechanics of ordination. If a man is ordained by another who is unworthy of the Spirit at that time, the authority to act is still given to the individual. Maybe it is saying that the ordination is not effective until it is blessed/sealed etc. by the Holy Ghost, who is the real transferer of power.