My Grand Introduction

Melissa82

Hello everyone who reads this,

I am a married 30 year old mother of two young boys (ages 4 and 2). I work as a Senior Accountant and have my MBA. I also have a 2nd job working for a CPA.

I consider myself a hopeful agnostic and have been on a journey to discover my faith for about 5 years now. I grew up in an atheist/agnostic home, but was introduced to Christian beliefs and church by a friend in 3rd grade. I went to church with her until about 10th grade when I began to question the validity of Christian teachings. I didn't set foot inside a church again for about 8 years after my husband and I got married. My husband is non-denominational Christian and I intend to raise my children Christian, however, I still lack faith. I would love to believe in something, but have yet to do so. I feel a lot closer than I used to be, but still have a ways to go.

I consider myself very open-minded and love talking to others about what they believe and why. Hopefully I can make a few friends on here and have some fruitful discussions.

Thank you in advance to anyone willing to take the time to talk to me!

Sincerely,

Melissa :lol:

Thank you!

In general, I enjoy being around Mormons and have found them to be more helpful than others. Of the few Mormon friends I have, every one of them always follows through and responds to my questions. I know we are all busy, but the lack of response/ concern from others I have received in the past is very disheartening. No one is perfect, but from my experiences, Mormons tend to be more genuine and take my quest seriously.

About 9 months ago, I actually did a Facebook experiment where I asked people to share their faith with me (via private message). This was before Facebook decided to pick and choose which posts to display on newsfeeds, so it should have been visible to everyone. (This doesn't mean everyone saw it, but still.) One would think this was an extremely easy opportunity to share their faith and considering the amount of "believers" on my friends list, I thought I'd get a lot of responses. I ended up getting 7, 4 of which I expected because of my relationship with those people. I had around 130 friends on my friends list at the time; only getting 3 "random" responses made me realize how many fake people there are. Like I said, I know people are busy, but I still find the lack of response sad. One person told me people are probably afraid to share their faith, but if you truly believe something, shouldn't you be able to confidently defend it? The Mormons I know are always willing to discuss and defend their faith.

I'm definitely not an expert on LDS beliefs, but I have learned quite a bit from my friends. There is a lot of stuff that makes sense to me. Different levels of heaven and missionary work after death seem much more fair then the "cake or death" approach. The need for a living prophet makes more sense than trying to believe something solely based on events that happened way before my time. I very much admire the family values and sense of community within the LDS faith. I believe a desire to serve others determines one's character more than simply showing up to church. Have I read the Book of Mormon? No, but I got one not too long ago. For me, the challenge is faith in general. I guess I'm hoping for people to say something profound that changes the way I think. :)

Guest LiterateParakeet

Melissa,

Welcome aboard! I'm glad you joined us.

I have been on a faith journey too. Sometimes, I say I had a spiritual earthquake and tsunami, now I am rebuilding. There have been a few "aftershocks", but things are coming along well.

I look forward to getting to know you better. If I can help you at all, I will try! :D

hi Melissa and welcome.

you have hope and thats the start of faith. hope and faith grow together they kinda go hand n hand.. u plant a seed, u water it u take care of it hopefully it grows,,u meet a person u like u talk, get to know each other with hope to become friends..through hope, through doing, learning, through research hope can turn into faith...Let God direct you...and you will find...let God teach you...and your faith will grow and blossom.Not all on here are LDS. all r welcome..truth is we all need each other..and in time Im sure u will meet many good people in here from all faiths..mingle with us ask questions..were here to help. u can also go to The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints if your open to have the missionarys over call them u can get in touch with them online, or find the closest meeting house to you, through the yellow pages..

Hello Melissa!!

I not going to say anything profound I wish I could. I only can tell you that along my life I have always felt that God exist even though I grow up without a church but I had the most faithful woman as a mother she taught me to know to expect that God himself will come and answer my questions or give me the help needed but instead He will prepared the way (people) so I can have what I might be requesting. Only I can tell you that sometimes my prayers have been answer right away and others took long time but my faith is not based on the signals I have seen in my life but the Holy Spirit in my life, warm touching feeling I dont know how to explain this but it make feel love and complete.