Scripture study, how often.

Guest Doctrine

How often do you read your scriptures a week?  

20 members have voted

1. 1. How often do you read your scriptures a week?

• 0-5 hours a week
    • 6-10 hours a week
    • 11-15 hours a week
    • 16+ hours a week

• 2 weeks later...

I admit to not reading the Scriptures that often. However, I do listen to Church music, read articles, read LDS sponsored FaceBook pages, catch interesting shows about the Church on BYU TV, etc. Maybe 'cause I'm a convert. I feel there's a whole cultural thing going on that I need to know about in addition to the Scriptures.

I admire people in Sunday School who can quote chapter and verse, but I fear my chapter and verse quoting days are over. I could read Scripture from now until Doomsday and not remember the number of the verse I read, I think they call it middle age.

Hmm...I think that if I could distill all the scriptures ever written into the fewest words possible, it would be,

"Know Jesus Christ."

And I use each of the three words judiciously. If I could expand it with one more word, it would be,

"Know Jesus Christ today."

Not tomorrow, not after mortality. Today. The plan of salvation, the preparatory gospel and especially the everlasting gospel and the fullness of the priesthood enables each and every one of us to know (as the brother of Jared knew, nothing doubting) Jesus Christ.

That would be it. That would be all. Take the Spirit for your guide (2 Nephi 32).

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still new, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

1-2 hours most days.

But not every day.

And some WEEKS its nada.

But 1-2 hours most days.

At this rate, I'll have the basic knowledge of our youth hitting seminary in a few YEARS.

I wish there was seminary-for-converts.

• 1 month later...

I admit to not reading the Scriptures that often. However, I do listen to Church music, read articles, read LDS sponsored FaceBook pages, catch interesting shows about the Church on BYU TV, etc. Maybe 'cause I'm a convert. I feel there's a whole cultural thing going on that I need to know about in addition to the Scriptures.

I admire people in Sunday School who can quote chapter and verse, but I fear my chapter and verse quoting days are over. I could read Scripture from now until Doomsday and not remember the number of the verse I read, I think they call it middle age.

Dahlia,

It's not about being able to "quote" scripture. It's just about knowing scripture. HUGE difference. Anyone can quote. It takes a good spirit to learn and live. I encourage you to at least read a few verses a day. I, too, am a convert...granted I have been in the church since 1974, but I know how you feel. I've been there. And let me tell you...every single day, every time I open the scriptures, it's a learning experience. If you haven't read the Book of Mormon cover-to-cover yet, you really should just do it. One chapter a day. Force yourself. I promise you, it will go from you forcing yourself to you anticipating it and you finding that you are snatching that Book up throughout the day because you just don't want to put it down! I promise you, that will happen.

My best to you.

Letrell

I'm still new, so I have a lot of catching up to do.

1-2 hours most days.

But not every day.

And some WEEKS its nada.

But 1-2 hours most days.

At this rate, I'll have the basic knowledge of our youth hitting seminary in a few YEARS.

I wish there was seminary-for-converts.

Wolf,

Follow this link to the church website. Institute

That link takes you to manuals. They are the ones I used at BYU many years ago and still use them. They are used in Institute now. (Adult version of Seminary.) As a convert I was able to have 1 year of seminary (my senior year in high school). I was blessed enough to go to BYU that next year but when I finished up at BYU, I was on my own. Institute was such a blessing for me. Check with your Bishop or Home Teachers to find out if there is Institute near you. You would probably love it! I know I always have.

This was a great poll, Doctrine. Thanks so much for thinking of it.

Take care,

Letrell