Sad but true

pam

As I was working on a project this morning regarding the current apostles, I had a thought. 10 years from now we will have almost an entirely different Quorum of the 12 than what we currently have. It's sad because I just love the men who currently serve in this capacity.

I know I will love the men who will at some point take their place but....just saying.

Within ten years, we are likely to lose Elder Packer, Elder Perry, Elder Ballard, Elder Oaks, Elder Scott, and President Monson. That is to say, each of the above-named individuals is over 83 years old; but of course, it's not that uncommon for apostles to live into their late 90s. In addition, Elder Oaks and Elder Hales are each 80 years old, and Elder Hales doesn't appear to be in the best of health. So, including changes to the First Presidency on President Monson's eventual death, it does appear possible if not probable that we will lose a majority of our current Twelve in the next ten years.

Who have we lost in the last ten years? President Hinckley, of course. Elder Maxwell, Elder Wirthlin, Elder Haight. Elder Faust actually died quite a while ago, back in 1995. Huh. Doesn't seem like that. Elder Ashton a year before that. So we have actually had an amazing string of longevity in the highest quorums over the last two decades, unmatched in all of Church history, I believe. Guess we've been spoiled.

Within ten years, we are likely to lose Elder Packer, Elder Perry, Elder Ballard, Elder Oaks, Elder Scott, and President Monson. That is to say, each of the above-named individuals is over 83 years old; but of course, it's not that uncommon for apostles to live into their late 90s. In addition, Elder Oaks and Elder Hales are each 80 years old, and Elder Hales doesn't appear to be in the best of health. So, including changes to the First Presidency on President Monson's eventual death, it does appear possible if not probable that we will lose a majority of our current Twelve in the next ten years.

Who have we lost in the last ten years? President Hinckley, of course. Elder Maxwell, Elder Wirthlin, Elder Haight. Elder Faust actually died quite a while ago, back in 1995. Huh. Doesn't seem like that. Elder Ashton a year before that. So we have actually had an amazing string of longevity in the highest quorums over the last two decades, unmatched in all of Church history, I believe. Guess we've been spoiled.

Er hem.....President Faust died in 2007. He became a member of the 1st Presidency in 1995. :nownow:

Er hem.....President Faust died in 2007. He became a member of the 1st Presidency in 1995. :nownow:

Wow, I'm batting nearly 1.000. I knew full well that Elder Faust died in the mid-20x0s, but I misread G'pa Bill's GA page and thought, "Huh, seems like he lived a lot later than '95." Maybe I should give it a rest for the day, or week. In any case, thanks for the correction.

Anytime any of the General Authorities pass away, I feel it personally. I don't know them, yet I have such a high regard and love for them. I appreciate all they do for the Church.

I know what you mean. I still remember how much sorry I felt when President Hinkley and Elder Faust passed away. Such wonderful men.