i'm worry that i can't keep my covanent such as fasting,sabath day and attending church service

MissSpider

okay, i'm leaving home to visit my family for 4 months. and my family are all buddishm and they still can't accept my mormon way such as fasting and keep sabath day holy(it is normal in my family that we go out on the week-end). also we don't have church in my town,,the nearest is about 3 hr driving and i'm certainly sure that no one is going to take me there = ="

so for 4 months i can't keep those covanent,,,would that be okay? i can still study gospel regularly as much as i want. but i also super sure that they gonna ask me hard question, try to bring me back to buddishm.

i'm pretty worry and scare about it.

yes, there is a reason i can't fast. my family think that it quite stupid and start attacking the church and say something like " buddishm never get to strave themself!"

you gotta see my family member faces when they learn about this fasting, taiting, and church attending cause we don't have this sort of commandment in buddism. so they always compare mormon with buddism.

so now religious talk is quite forbidden in the house.

90% of people in my country is buddishm and only 1-2% christian = =" (and only about 3000 mormon)

I would say: do it anyway. If you can't get to church, I suppose you can't get to church. But you can read scriptures, pray, etc. You don't have to do it in their faces or even where they can see you.

I can understand why they might be angry with you. What you may need to do is calmly ask if they can still respect you as a family member and a person even though you do things that they think are strange. I don't know if now is the time for that or not, but I suspect it will have to happen sooner or later. It sounds like they are letting religious differences get in the way of remembering that you are family.

This is something I would pray about. Heavenly Father will help you know what to do. He can help you stay calm and feel the Spirit.

okay, i'm leaving home to visit my family for 4 months. and my family are all buddishm and they still can't accept my mormon way such as fasting and keep sabath day holy(it is normal in my family that we go out on the week-end). also we don't have church in my town,,the nearest is about 3 hr driving and i'm certainly sure that no one is going to take me there = ="

so for 4 months i can't keep those covanent,,,would that be okay? i can still study gospel regularly as much as i want. but i also super sure that they gonna ask me hard question, try to bring me back to buddishm.

i'm pretty worry and scare about it.

Pray and have confidence. God will not abandon you.

Can you still go to Church while visiting your family? I think that might be a very good idea. Find out where the closest ward meets. It's easy to do on lds.org, and many here would be happy to help you find out if you don't know how.

Try too, reminding them that there are different Buddhas for different lands.

If Joseph Smith had been born in Asia, he would have been considered a Buddha, but he was needed in America. So his title is Prophet, and his connection is called God instead of One/All. The ways and traditions are different, naturally, because this is a different land/ different people/ different needs.

Put the religion in terms they can understand.

I don't know which branch of Buddhism your family practices... But as a child I was taught to fast as Siddhartha fasted (not for an age), with nothing but really vile tea (chock full of nutrients, but it tasted foul). I was taught to pray, to give offerings, to pay respect to my ancestors. All these are tenants of the LDS church. Family history is paying respect to our ancestors, fasting is done in a similar way (still with food to nourish. Tithing is offerings. Being given a perfect body is reincarnation. Becoming like God is Nirvana. In many ways each successive Prophet is like a reincarnation of a prophet passed. The general authority. Etc.

There are many Christian Buddhists... As Buddhism can coexist with many religions.

But then, I come from the land of Born Shinto Die Buddhist.

Lots of good things are taught in Buddhism. Things that are also taught in LDS.

My family is Catholic. Lots of good things taught in Catholicism too. When I visit my family, I go to the Catholic Church with them. Of course, I don't take Communion but it doesn't mean I can't sit there and listen to what the Priest has to say.

And about the Sabbath - part of making the day Holy is spending the day building family relationships. In the LDS Faith, Family is eternal. I spend the entire Sunday with my family in a spirit of love and forgiveness.