A novel idea: Date your wife.

applepansy

Our twins are 2 now and life is starting to get a little bit manageable again, so hubby and I are dating. It's been so nice. Last Saturday we went to breakfast at my favorite local spot, and to a friend's daughter's sealing. He's a great date. :)

It bugs me a little that this article is so heavily aimed at men. Do wives not bear any responsibility for dating their husbands? (Bear in mind that I'm a woman saying that!)

Over the last two years, I've seen a couple of similar ideas going around Pinterest that are basically a "date of the month club." My husband and I have always been bad at dating. We've never tried to plan ahead, and we always use the money excuse.

For Christmas last year, I decided to give him a year of dates. So every month now, we have an already-planned date night. Some dates are at home, but still designated and planned (fondue and game night). Some are simple and out (bowling). One or two are expensive and out (we went to see Blue Man Group in February!!). My husband's love language is acts of service. It really has meant a lot to him that we can date each other, but that he doesn't have to think about it, because that's what he has a really hard time with. On our second date of the year, he asked me if I would do it for him again for 2014. The only things we really have to do at the beginning of the month are choose a day on the calendar and get a babysitter.

I keep my eye on Groupon (and other group deal sites) for deals. I also make notes of ideas for next year, so that we don't end up doing the same things over and over again. Some activities will get repeated, otherwise I'll get burned out trying to think of completely new things year after year.

Taking my wife out the 27th, our 11th year anniversary. We can't afford much, but we are going to see Air Supply for free :D

I'm totally jealous! I grew up listening to them on road trips while my mom drove us to my great-grandmother's house. I love "Making Love Out Of Nothing At All."

I had an overnight date planned for this Friday. It didn't work out. :( We put our grandson's needs first and our son/his dad doesn't. However, this time I'd rather Daddy was out finding an appropriate mother-figure so I'll forgo my date plans this time. :)

We'll be including our grandson on any date that happens this friday night. :(

Wingnut, I like the year-of-dates idea. :)

Wingnut, I like the year-of-dates idea. :)

Some resources I've used (just people's blogs who have done this year-of-dates thing before...I don't know any of them):

life in general: let's go on a date

life in general: let's go on a date: christmas is around the corner (putting the whole thing together)

Friday We're In Love (kinda cheesy, but some good ideas)

Love, Actually

Froggie went a courtin and he did ride..uh-huh, oh ya!

This evening....

Anddenex will be a courtin his beautiful bride...uh-huh, oh ya!

Anddenex will be a courtin his beautiful bride...uh-huh, oh ya!

Anddenex will be a courtin his beautiful bride

No sons, nor daughters by their side...uh-huh, oh ya! Fare the well.

:D