Nappy (diaper) Rash Help

susieSA

Hi there...

My little one has started getting really bad nappy (diaper) rashes on his little tushie...

I have been using the same stuff that I was using before.... it doesn't seem to be helping much...

So I thought I would ask the more seasoned parents here what they would suggest I try that would help or what I could do to help prevent it later on or so that it won't be that bad next time :hmmm:

Thank you in advance :sparklygrin:

Susie,

You can also try leaving his diaper off for a while after you change him and let him "air dry".

The diaper rash ointment isn't suppose to make the rash go away, only protect it from getting worse. If his bum is still wet and you put the ointment on it locks the moisture in (making it worse). Make sure his bum is really dry before putting anything on him.Sometimes cornstarch or baby power will help but again he has to be super dry before you put it on. Even if all he has is a diaper rash, you can go to the doctor and get a stronger ointment for him if it doesn't clear up in 4-5 days. Poor thing! Good Luck!

Susie,

You can also try leaving his diaper off for a while after you change him and let him "air dry".

The diaper rash ointment isn't suppose to make the rash go away, only protect it from getting worse. If his bum is still wet and you put the ointment on it locks the moisture in (making it worse). Make sure his bum is really dry before putting anything on him.Sometimes cornstarch or baby power will help but again he has to be super dry before you put it on. Even if all he has is a diaper rash, you can go to the doctor and get a stronger ointment for him if it doesn't clear up in 4-5 days. Poor thing! Good Luck!

April has a good point....our 5 year old son was a very diaper rashy little boy (sensitive skin) and our baby Dr. told us to just let him go naked for a while....put down some protection on the floor, crib etc. and let him play...it seemed to work pretty fast. It dried him out so when it was time to wear a diaper again he was dry dry dry and the ointments and powder helped him stay that way.! :rockonsign:

...Depending on the baby's age, you can also give him yogurt to eat...

To be more specific with this:

Yogurt is a great baby food. It contain lots of high quality protein, plenty of calcium, and beneficial bacteria. It is appropriate to offer yogurt to babies generally after six months of age, and then only as a supplement to formula or breast milk, not as a replacement.

http://parenting.ivillage.com/baby/bnutrit...0,,3vs7,00.html

M.

Thank you everyone for your responses and your tips... I really appreciate it..

We went to a pharmacy and got a new diaper rash cream & will see if that helps over the next day.. if not it will be off to the doc...

My little man is 2 months & almost 2 weeks old so the yougert will have to wait.. but when he gets to 6 months then I shall defenitly do that..

Thanks Maureen for that link... I have found it very useful

Thanks again :)

My second child had the diaper rash really bad. One minute he looked fine, and the next diaper change, he was raw. My pediatrician first scolded me for using disposable diapers; so I went to cloth. Then, the doctor said that I must not be getting all the soap out of the cloth diapers; so I washed w/ two rinses and then went through the entire cycle again with no soap. This did not help either. He was changed frequently, and that did not help either. Finally, a GP looked at him and gave me mycolog which got it under control, but it was not a cure.

When this child was almost two, we wound up testing him for allergens. He was allergic to practically everything they tested him for; so they started him on allergy shots.

They had me test him for milk allergy by taking him off all dairy products for one month. At the end of the month, he got to drink about 2 ounces of milk, and he had a runny nose the next day. This child also had pneumonia every winter.

Through experimenting, we discovered that his number one allergy was dairy products and that if he avoided those, he could usually handle the other things he was allergic to if not overdosed. (His problems started when he was six months old, and because I had pneumonia, they wanted me NOT to nurse him. After two weeks on formula, he started having all kinds of problems. . . . . . .at the time, I did not make the connection, and I did not go back to nursing him; so he continued with problems.) He's 33, and he still has some asthma problems and some allergy problems, but if he does not over do the dairy, he seems to handle things better.

Anyway, if your family has allergy problems, and you are nursing, you might try not eating the dairy products yourself to see if that helps. My sixth child also had a lot of allergy problems, and her number one allergen is dairy, too. . . . . . . . it manifested itself differently with her, and she started having problems while still nursing if "I" ate the dairy products. She is almost 24 and can handle some dairy, but if she eats too much, she starts itching. She is also allergic to shellfish, chocolate, tomatoes, etc., etc., etc, but we did not do allergy testing on her. We "experimented" by eliminating certain substances, and we used a homeopathic doctor to get her problems under control.

All of the items mentioned above by others helped from time to time also, but if you can figure out what the offending item is, avoiding it can help a lot.

Peace,

TXRed

My daughter had very sensitive skin as a baby and still does, just not as bad. I could only use one brand of diapers. I could not use plastic diapers at all and only the Huggies cloth like disposable ones. (Sorry I forget what they were called.) Still she would get very bad nasty rashes. With one changing she would be fine but when it came to change her again she would bloody blisters. I tried everything on the market even had few prescriptions. Nothing worked to take them away. Then a friend gave me some BagBomb to try. That did the trick. I put it on during on her blister rashes and then when I went to change her the next time it was completely gone. So after you take your son to DR to find out if it is indeed a rash (it could be a yeast infection like someone else said) try the bagbomd. It comes in green tin can in the pharmacy section of local grocery store.

My daughter had very sensitive skin as a baby and still does, just not as bad. I could only use one brand of diapers. I could not use plastic diapers at all and only the Huggies cloth like disposable ones. (Sorry I forget what they were called.) Still she would get very bad nasty rashes. With one changing she would be fine but when it came to change her again she would bloody blisters. I tried everything on the market even had few prescriptions. Nothing worked to take them away. Then a friend gave me some BagBomb ( that is Bag Balm http://www.bagbalm.com/ and it is great for all sorts of rashes and even bug bites, use it all the time)to try. That did the trick. I put it on during on her blister rashes and then when I went to change her the next time it was completely gone. So after you take your son to DR to find out if it is indeed a rash (it could be a yeast infection like someone else said) try the bagbomd. It comes in green tin can in the pharmacy section of local grocery store.

<div class='quotemain'>

My daughter had very sensitive skin as a baby and still does, just not as bad. I could only use one brand of diapers. I could not use plastic diapers at all and only the Huggies cloth like disposable ones. (Sorry I forget what they were called.) Still she would get very bad nasty rashes. With one changing she would be fine but when it came to change her again she would bloody blisters. I tried everything on the market even had few prescriptions. Nothing worked to take them away. Then a friend gave me some BagBomb ( that is Bag Balm http://www.bagbalm.com/ and it is great for all sorts of rashes and even bug bites, use it all the time)to try. That did the trick. I put it on during on her blister rashes and then when I went to change her the next time it was completely gone. So after you take your son to DR to find out if it is indeed a rash (it could be a yeast infection like someone else said) try the bagbomd. It comes in green tin can in the pharmacy section of local grocery store.

Thank you for that Kozy & Mrs S

I will have a look to see if I am able to get that over here :D

Hi Susie,

You've gotten some great advice, but I wanted to throw in my 2 cents as well, as my child suffered with this off and on while in diapers. His was HORRIBLE and he cried at every changing. In addition to taking a break from diapers, we used Desitin or something similar, making sure it had at least 40% zinc oxide. If you buy a 'creamy' formulation, it only has 10% ZO, which is not enough to be a proper barrier to wetness. And even when it went away, I would use it at every diaper change as a preventative measure. When I forgot, it would always come back worse. When blisters were evident and he was REALLY in pain, I would put it on as thickly as I could. We really went through that stuff.

And for relief of the burning, put a good amount of baking soda (like 1/4 of a box) in a warm bath. Sometimes it got so bad we had to do this after every diaper change. And sometimes we'd have to put him in a bathtub to let the excrement wash off in the water, rather than wiping it.

It can be quite inconvenient to deal with, but I know it's the worst thing for a mom to see her child in pain.

Good luck!

All 3 of my kids had diaper rash. We found a natural product that really worked, well, 2 products depending on the severity. Both were by Weleda and one was a calendula cream and the other was a diaper rash ointment with calendula cream in it. They were pricey, but it always cleared it up... till the next time. :D ANyway, good luck.

hey Susie

back in SA, you may remember a product called "Maizena" found in your kitchen?

it's basically just plain old corn starch, used for thickening sauces

see if you can find the equivalent thing in Malaysia

mix it into a thick paste and plaster it on pretty thick

leave the nappy off as long as possible - air is the best natural remedy for wet rashes

it's kinda an old "boere resep" that someone passed on to me and works really well with most nappy rashes my 2 have ever had!

if none of the regular creams & unguents don't work, you're probably gonna need an antimicrobial of some sort, cos that would probably indicate that the rash has become infected in some way

hope this helps!

hey Susie

back in SA, you may remember a product called "Maizena" found in your kitchen?

it's basically just plain old corn starch, used for thickening sauces

see if you can find the equivalent thing in Malaysia

mix it into a thick paste and plaster it on pretty thick

leave the nappy off as long as possible - air is the best natural remedy for wet rashes

it's kinda an old "boere resep" that someone passed on to me and works really well with most nappy rashes my 2 have ever had!

if none of the regular creams & unguents don't work, you're probably gonna need an antimicrobial of some sort, cos that would probably indicate that the rash has become infected in some way

hope this helps!

Hey Shade...

Yea, I remember Maizena well... And I can actually get that here in Malaysia :-D The only problem is that the gogos like it too.. lol.. I will defenilty give that one a try - those "boere receps" usually work well :sparklygrin::sparklygrin:

Thanks for that ;)

The rash part has now gone.. We ended up taking little man to the doc.. He started up with a bit of diarea on Tuesday late afternoon.. So that was the end of airing his little tushie for the time being as it went everywhere & was sooo gross to have to clean up :blink: We left if for a day or so to see if it would get better & when it didn't really we visited the doc..

As it turns out he has a fungal infection.. He perscribed a lactose free formula for the diarea as well as a few other things for his little tummy... He also perscribed more of the cream he had told me to get when I phoned him a few days ago...

Seems to be looking better..

Just want it ALL gone.. It looks so eina :(

Thanks again everyone who had tips & suggestions & thank you for sharing your experiences.. I really appreciate it allot :D