Skype or Google+

Magen_Avot

Now that I'm in Doha, Qatar, My oldest son at college located in soughern Oregon, my youngest son in Alaska on a mission, my youngest daughter on a mission in the Dakota's and my wife at home in WA State it was a bit problematic to organize a "Mothers Day" family reunion, courtesy of the digital age.

First was my missionary daughter at 1am (my time) and we used skype. I paid the extra so we could all talk together. Read closely, BEFORE the need arises. You can 'talk' if only one caller paid the extra, but you can't see each other (only I could see them all). So,... for what I had hoped for,... it was a waste of money and extra frustration. We ended up just making separate calls. I'll have to cancel now. Waste, waste, waste.

At 4am (my time) my missionary son was able to use google+ because of family distribution. I had just opened my google+ account earlier in the evening. My first thought was, "goodbye skype". While chatting, I noticed my college son had something floating above his head. It was a tiarra that floated above his forehead and moved with him. I quickly learned a few more things while on the call and installed the fun stuff and was quickly changing from a cat face, beard, glasses, devil horns and all the rest. There were cartoon faces with funny expressions and sounds like applaud ect.

Now,... I feel robbed by skype. Don't get me wrong, I've loved it and it has been a big piece of my Middle Eastern experience for the last 6 mos, and it's been awsome for one on one calls. I will probably still use it with calls to my wife, but I can't see passing up google+ and an opportunity to act like I'm back in middle school. :D

If you use distance communication/video calls outside of basic cell/telephones, what do you use Skype, Google+ or is there something else I don't know about?

Edited by Magen_Avot

We Skyped our missionary son yesterday, but I have used Google's hangouts to do a family reunion planning meeting and various work meetings. Both work great. Skype seems to be slightly higher video quality, though that might be my imagination. Google lets you put eyepatches and beards on people, though. So that tips the scales.

I haven't used either, but I think that as a company and as developers, Google is the bee's knees.

Bee's Knees?

Hmmmmm,... Urban Dictionary: bee's knees

OLD TERM FOR...

1. Cool

2. High Quality

3. Slang for "Business" also meaning High Quality

4. 1920's for wonderful

5. Pothead for excellent weed ....HUH???

6. "B's 'n E's" as in "be all end all." The best

Eowyn,... just how old are you???, not that it's any of my uh,... bid nez :rolleyes:

We Skyped our missionary son yesterday, but I have used Google's hangouts to do a family reunion planning meeting and various work meetings. Both work great. Skype seems to be slightly higher video quality, though that might be my imagination. Google lets you put eyepatches and beards on people, though. So that tips the scales.

YEAH RIGHT!!! :lol:

Bee's Knees?

Hmmmmm,... Urban Dictionary: bee's knees

OLD TERM FOR...

1. Cool

2. High Quality

3. Slang for "Business" also meaning High Quality

4. 1920's for wonderful

5. Pothead for excellent weed ....HUH???

6. "B's 'n E's" as in "be all end all." The best

Eowyn,... just how old are you???, not that it's any of my uh,... bid nez :rolleyes:

Well, I am a medieval princess...