Would LDS bless a store?

dahlia

So, it's after MasterChef and I am looking up some stuff on Joe Bastianich. I found a YouTube clip where they are opening a store (and a very nice one it is, if you like Italian food) and there is a monsignor or bishop (purple hat) giving a blessing.

Now to my formerly Catholic mind, this seems just fine. You bless so people don't get hurt, that business does well, etc.

Would LDS do this? I imagine any priesthood holder could bless a place of business, but would they? I think it would be nice to have your place of business blessed (I understand that Buddhist priests do this all the time in Thailand), but what do I know?

It wouldn't be uncommon for members to say a prayer of blessing over their own store, however there's no precedent I know of for LDS church leadership to offer blessings over anything but consecrated or religiously purposed church property or gravesites.

It's a whole different mindset when you realize that priesthood holders have the authority to say prayers and do blessings for themselves, rather than having to depend on a priestly class to come and stand between them and God. The priesthood is one of the best things about the Church!

The closest I can think of is blessing your home. In blessing a home, you invoke the priesthood to dedicate your home to be a house of the Lord where the Spirit may dwell. You home does not have to be paid off in order to do this.

While it's not an official ordinance for any other purposes, such as a business, I would think you could do it with the proper spirit and intention.

Priesthood Ordinances and BlessingsÂ*

Church members may dedicate their homes as sacred edifices where the Holy Spirit can reside and where family members can worship, find safety from the world, grow spiritually, and prepare for eternal family relationships. Homes need not be free of debt to be dedicated. Unlike Church buildings, homes are not consecrated to the Lord.

A Melchizedek Priesthood holder may dedicate a home by the power of the priesthood. If there is not a Melchizedek Priesthood holder in the home, a family might invite a close relative, a home teacher, or another Melchizedek Priesthood holder to dedicate the home. Or a family might gather and offer a prayer that includes the elements mentioned in the preceding paragraph and other words as the Spirit directs.

It's a whole different mindset when you realize that priesthood holders have the authority to say prayers and do blessings for themselves, rather than having to depend on a priestly class to come and stand between them and God. The priesthood is one of the best things about the Church!

To a limited extent, and especially within the context of this discussion, you're spot on. However, as a priesthood holder, I cannot lay hands upon myself and give myself a blessing. Most of the time the priesthood is to be used in the spirit of service to others, precisely as Jesus demonstrated it in his own ministry.

Again, however, a priesthood holder definitely has the authority to offer prayers and blessings to his family on his own, and I agree with you that it is a magnificent opportunity we have been given.

Since retiring, my wife and I operate a strawberry farm. Each year I bless the farm, that after I have done all I can, the Lord will bless that we have a good crop in order to help support ourselves. I see no problem with blessing a business that will enable someone to support themselves and promote the work of the Lord by paying tithing on their earnings.

Would LDS do this? I imagine any priesthood holder could bless a place of business, but would they? I think it would be nice to have your place of business blessed (I understand that Buddhist priests do this all the time in Thailand), but what do I know?

I believe the church would do that. Didn't the church leaders bless the City Creek Center when it opened up last year?

There was dedication ceremony, attended by the first presidency. Not sure if it included a dedicatory prayer, but there was one for the new office of Kirton McConkie (a Salt Lake law firm that does a lot of contract work for the Church)--see here.

I think Alma 34:20 offers doctrinal support for the practice.