National Border, Resources And Implications

Dr T

Oh BTW, Canadians also tend to come into the country legally. I don't care what color your skin is, or what country you're from... I will not be against you coming into the US if you come here to work, PAY TAXES like the rest of us have to, abide by our rules, don't drain our social programs, and don't break the law.

I don't disagree with the "so long as they are legal" arguement. However, we look like baffoons when we cannot or will not efficiently process legal applications. If I wanted to bring my brother and sister in law over, they would have to wait 8-10 years. Kudos to those who patiently tread through our ridiculous system, but it's hard not to nod in understanding those eager, skilled, and monied applicants who become frustrated with our third-world bureaucracy.

So the immigration laws and the INS/DHS need to be revised and updated.

That doesn't justify breaking laws, even if the laws aren't "easy" to follow.

You don't force a change in law by breaking the law.

That's ridiculous.

Nobody is arguing that. Mexicans should have no direct influence on our laws or systems. However, we should indeed update and streamline.

BTW, if illegal immigration gets a wink and nod for years on end, and then suddenly there's this abrupt "crack down," and then we all bemoan these terrible illegals who have disrespected our laws and sovereignty, are we not like the permissive parents who cannot understand how our children could go so far astray?

I think the government is out of touch with the American people.

The American people have not permitted illegal immigration.

The government has.

Do we elect them? Sure, but in fact we live in a democratic aristocracy. Unless you're rich, you can't run for office. The common Joe down the street who may have more sense and morals than the average senator will never have the chance to help govern his country effectively.

So in a sense, elections are about electing the best of the worst rich guys in America. :wow:

I don't disagree with the "so long as they are legal" arguement. However, we look like baffoons when we cannot or will not efficiently process legal applications. If I wanted to bring my brother and sister in law over, they would have to wait 8-10 years. Kudos to those who patiently tread through our ridiculous system, but it's hard not to nod in understanding those eager, skilled, and monied applicants who become frustrated with our third-world bureaucracy.

Yes, we do have problems with our legal immigration process. Although I had no idea it takes 8 - 10 years... that is ridiculous! Still, the answer is not, "It's too hard to follow the process that's in place, so I'll do it illegally."

Yes, we do have problems with our legal immigration process. Although I had no idea it takes 8 - 10 years... that is ridiculous! Still, the answer is not, "It's too hard to follow the process that's in place, so I'll do it illegally."

I never want to justify commiting crimes or violating laws. However, how many drive up to five miles over the speed limit, knowing they won't get stopped? How many have a litter bag in the cars? How many have ever transported a young child with an imperfect car seat?

In many countries, there are laws on the books because the laws make the leaders look good, not because they are intended to be enforced. Other times, laws are sporadically enforced.

From such a culture, our immigration laws look like that. Our borders are poorly and occasionally enforced, amnesties are almost regular occurances, and, until recently, those who violated our borders were sent home and politely asked not to come back (at least not so obviously) again.

People from such countries hear the sudden border control bluster from politicians, smile, and think, "Oh, more laws to make the politicians look good--doesn't mean they will actually be enforced.

So, it's hard to totally blame the illegals for violating the sacredness of our immigration laws--even though, truly, they are not justified in violating them. I don't agree with illegal border crossers. But, I sort of understand why they do not take our laws very seriously. Our leaders really don't either.