Repentance for Cheating on Final Exam

Nazareth

How do I release this feeling of guilt? Is confession necessary? I am tired of that needing or urge to confess to my bishop for every sin I commit (most of the time I do), and it is agitating. I have tried to go through the repentance process, feeling like I am forgiven, and then I have a massive dark feeling protrude at a later time.

Is it a lack of faith in Christ that I am not forgiven? This applies to having my prayers answered as well. I never know when my prayers are answered. These bewildering thoughts of the existence of God have been on my mind.

I have been a member my whole life: trying to do what I can. When do I know that I am truly forgiven? And if I am truly forgiven, does Satan have the power to override, if that is the right word, God's forgiveness of that sin, or to bring a remembrance of past grievances on that particular deed of sin?

Christ has the power of forgiveness, while Satan has the power of guilt; how can I fight through this battle of the mind to understand the present status of my misconduct?

I just want to do what the Lord asks of me.

I'd honestly go talk to your bishop about this. If you went forward to the school they might very well kick you out. And if up to this point you've been honest and never cheated, that wouldn't be that fair. So talk to your bishop and see what he advises.

We don't know what the school's policy is regarding cheating. But why would you recommend honesty only if you think the consequences are "fair"? We should only be honest when it is convenient for us?

God will forgive you imediately. Christ told the adulter

John 8:11

King James Version (KJV)

2 And early in the morning he[christ] came again into the temple, and all the people came unto him; and he sat down, and taught them.

3 And the scribes and Pharisees brought unto him a woman taken in adultery; and when they had set her in the midst,

4 They say unto him, Master, this woman was taken in adultery, in the very act.

5 Now Moses in the law commanded us, that such should be stoned: but what sayest thou?

6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.

7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.

8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.

9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

What was the requirement? Go and sin no more. You feel guilt which is different than being forgiven through the justice of christ. You desire not to do it, you are willing to do it no more, than mercy satisfies justice and you ARE forgiven. have your prayed to heavenly father saying you won't do it again?

Now the guilt is seperate from this forgiveness which has to do with sanctification. This is achieved through Christ.

Enos had a great experience here, along with zeezrom who was willing to give up all his sins which allowed him to have his guilt swept away. here is what enos said.

Enos 1: 3 Behold, I went to hunt beasts in the forests; and the words which I had often heard my father speak concerning eternal life, and the ajoy of the saints, bsunk deep into my heart.

4 And my soul ahungered; and I bkneeled down before my Maker, and I ccried unto him in mighty dprayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.

5 And there came a avoice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are bforgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.

6 And I, Enos, knew that God acould not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.

7 And I said: Lord, how is it done?

8 And he said unto me: aBecause of thy bfaith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee cwhole.

Sometimes making wrongs right is the way to get guilt swept away. Othertimes its just yourself unable to forgive yourself that keeps this guilt when in reality heavenly father has already forgiven you! Accept his mercy, sometimes that is the hardest thing to do.

Honestly, while your bishop can help, this is not something you need to talk to your bishop about. But if you are aching and need relief you can do that. Why not open up your feelings to heavenly father? He will show you how much he still loves you.

Edited by ElectofGod

I'm not convinced that confession is optional, at least for true repentance:

By this ye may know if a man repenteth of his sins—behold, he will confess them and forsake them.

And I'll be honest: I'm a little concerned about the notion that I, as an offender, have the right to dictate what types of restitution are and are not "fair", and that the possibility of my victim's dealing with me unjustly is a legitimate justification for my keeping my sins hidden.

. . . when we undertake to cover our sins, or to gratify our pride, our vain ambition, or to exercise control or dominion or compulsion upon the souls of the children of men, in any degree of unrighteousness, behold, the heavens withdraw themselves; the Spirit of the Lord is grieved; and when it is withdrawn, Amen to the priesthood or the authority of that man.

My experience is that the fewer secrets I'm keeping, the easier life becomes.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Ummmm...

You cheated.

So you ARE guilty.

It's an appropriate reaction.

That doesn't mean you aren't forgiven.

It means you feel bad about something you should probably feel bad for.

At the very least as a reminder not to do it, again.

Q

10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

No Forgiveness Without Repentance

This connection between effort and the repentance which attracts the Lord's forgiveness is often not understood. In my childhood, Sunday School lessons were given to us on the 8th chapter of John wherein we learned of the woman thrown at the feet of the Redeemer for judgment. My sweet Sunday School teacher lauded the Lord for having forgiven the woman. She did not understand the impossibility of such an act. In my years since then I have repeatedly heard people praise the Lord for his mercy in having forgiven the adulteress. This example has been used numerous times to show how easily one can be forgiven for gross sin.

But did the Lord forgive the woman? Could he forgive her? There seems to be no evidence of forgiveness. His command to her was, "Go, and sin no more." He was directing the sinful woman to go her way, abandon her evil life, commit no more sin, transform her life. He was saying, Go, woman, and start your repentance; and he was indicating to her the beginning step to abandon her transgressions.

The Lord's prophet Amulek had said emphatically: "... Ye cannot be saved in your sins." (Al. 11:37. Italics added.) It was this same Lord Jesus Christ who made the laws, and he must observe them. Accordingly, how could he have forgiven the woman in her deep sin? When she had had time to repent; when she had abandoned her evil ways and evil associates; when she had made restitution so far as she could; and when she had proved by her works and the living of the commandments that she was "born again" and was a new creature--when she had done these things the forgiveness of the Savior could overshadow her and claim her and give her peace.

Another mistaken idea is that the thief on the cross was forgiven of his sins when the dying Christ answered: "Today shalt thou be with me in paradise." (Luke 23:43.) These men on the cross were thieves. How could the Lord forgive a malefactor? They had broken laws. There was no doubt of the guilt of the two men, for the one voluntarily confessed their guilt.

The Lord cannot save men in their sins but only from their sins, and that only when they have shown true repentance. The one thief did show some compassion, whether selfishly with hope we are not sure. He was confessing, but how could he abandon his evil practices when dungeon walls made evil deeds impossible? How could he restore the stolen goods when hanging on the cross? How could he, as John the Baptist required, "bring forth fruits meet for repentance"? How could he live the Lord's commands attend his meetings, pay his tithing, serve his fellowmen? All these take time. Time was the one thing he was running out of very rapidly. "No unclean thing can enter the kingdom of heaven." This thought has been repeated throughout the scriptures numerous times and is a basic truth. We may be sure that the Savior's instructions to the thief on the cross were comparable to his instructions to the woman caught in adultery: "Go your way and transform yourself and repent." (Miracle of Forgiveness, Spencer W. Kimball, p. 165-166.)

Christ has the power of forgiveness, while Satan has the power of guilt; how can I fight through this battle of the mind to understand the present status of my misconduct?

All of us sometime, and some of us much of the time, suffer remorse of conscience from things we did wrong or things left undone. That feeling of guilt is to the spirit what pain is to the physical body.

But guilt can be harder to bear than physical pain. Physical pain is nature’s warning system that signals something needs to be changed or cleansed or treated, perhaps even removed by surgery. Guilt, the pain of our conscience, cannot be healed the same way. ("The Touch of the Master's Hand", Boyd K. Packer, April 2001 Conference)

While the devil will seek to promote guilt where none is due or where repentance has forgiven sin, guilt itself is not of the devil any more than the physical pain of hitting your finger with a hammer would be.

How do I release this feeling of guilt? Is confession necessary?

I feel to say that where ever I find an individual asking whether confession is necessary I find an individual who has not studied in depth the atonement and repentance process.

I say this not only having seen many others in such a state but because I too was once in such a state.

Do you know how crushing it is to be bound by addictive sin, do all you know of to repent, and yet still remain unforgiven and captive?

I do and the pain was so great that it completely smothered all hope within me of freedom. Without hope my faith died as well and 6 years passed in spiritual darkness before I was brought to the point of trying again.

It wasn't until I read a book called How Great Shall Be Your Joy by Steven A. Cramer that I finally learned where and why I had failed before. Once I finally realized what I had been missing I lept for joy and in applying what I had learned this time found the forgiveness and healing I had sought for so many years.

The atonement is real and the Lord truly does forgive and heal yet such forgiveness and healing are conditional upon meeting his requirements. I needlessly spent 6 years in spiritual darkness that would not have been had I simply done it right. I don't want others to go through such and so I invite you to truly study the atonement and repentance process to make sure you are fully armed with the knowledge of how to repent.

I invite you to read all of The Miracle of Forgiveness by President Spencer W. Kimball with specific reference to chapters 13 and 14 dealing on confession and restitution. Other good books dealing with understanding and applying the atonement and repentance process are How Great Shall Be Your Joy by Steven A Cramer and The Continuous Atonement by Brad Wilcox which I haven't read but is highly recommended by my brother.

Is not the way to fight through this battle of the mind dependent upon being armed with the correct weapon called knowledge? If you are failing to succeed, doesn't it seem likely that to some degree or another, you are armed instead with the sword of ignorance? If so, open the books above and arm yourself with that weapon that will lead you to success!

Having read two of the three books referenced above, I am confident enough in their content that I attest and promise that if you humbly read them you will for certain find the answers to your questions.

Sincerely,

Brother M.

How do I release this feeling of guilt? Is confession necessary? I am tired of that needing or urge to confess to my bishop for every sin I commit (most of the time I do), and it is agitating. I have tried to go through the repentance process, feeling like I am forgiven, and then I have a massive dark feeling protrude at a later time.

Is it a lack of faith in Christ that I am not forgiven? This applies to having my prayers answered as well. I never know when my prayers are answered. These bewildering thoughts of the existence of God have been on my mind.

I have been a member my whole life: trying to do what I can. When do I know that I am truly forgiven? And if I am truly forgiven, does Satan have the power to override, if that is the right word, God's forgiveness of that sin, or to bring a remembrance of past grievances on that particular deed of sin?

I just want to do what the Lord asks of me.

I've had these same feelings. Unless its a major sin, there is no need to confess to the bishop. Council with the Lord, confess to him and change, and know he will forgive you in a heartbeat. What you need is to forgive yourself, let it go. This is part of the repentance process, to lay everything at the Lords feet, hand your life to him, he will mould it into what he needs.

Also, we cannot save ourselves no matter how much you repent and confess, we have to do all we can and become Christlike and then we will qualify for his grace. His grace is tied to his Atonement, which will ultimately sanctify us, as we on our own will always be unclean except there be grace. Believe this! Accept Christ and trust him, forgive yourself and move on, stop fixating on the small stuff.