How do you actually repent?

ChronoTrigger

I mean, what are the actual mechanics of repentance? Do you just stop doing the sins and ask for forgiveness? Do you in a prayer, point out every little detail of sins you can remember, then ask for forgiveness? Do you say a broad forgiveness prayer? I just can't figure out if I'm doing it right. I've told lies. Do I say "forgive me for all the lies I told" or do I go one by one that I can remember and say something like "forgive me for lying to my friend on this date", etc? I'm really trying to repent and wash away ALL of my sins and am hoping someone can guide me on the mechanics.

The Gospel Principles manual lays it out pretty clearly:

Well we haven't kept the commandments of God if we've sinned in the first place.
I'd suggest you read the chapter I linked. "Keep the commandments of God" is a step in the repentance process. Basically, if you sin, then do all the other stuff but keep sinning, then you haven't repented.

I have the questions on the recognizing our sins and confessing part.

Have you read the link? If so, what are your questions? If not, I'd suggest you read the link to see if the chapter answers your questions.

I mean, what are the actual mechanics of repentance? Do you just stop doing the sins and ask for forgiveness? Do you in a prayer, point out every little detail of sins you can remember, then ask for forgiveness? Do you say a broad forgiveness prayer? I just can't figure out if I'm doing it right. I've told lies. Do I say "forgive me for all the lies I told" or do I go one by one that I can remember and say something like "forgive me for lying to my friend on this date", etc? I'm really trying to repent and wash away ALL of my sins and am hoping someone can guide me on the mechanics.

Repentance is a change of mind and heart - regarding G-d, our fellow men and ourselves. The machanics is the process of and influence of the spirit of G-d that will give us insights but those are influences from without - repentance is that within us that imbraces the influences of the spirit of G-d such that we are in essence reborn to something much greater.

The Traveler

Repentance is a change of mind and heart - regarding G-d, our fellow men and ourselves. The machanics is the process of and influence of the spirit of G-d that will give us insights but those are influences from without - repentance is that within us that imbraces the influences of the spirit of G-d such that we are in essence reborn to something much greater.

The Traveler

To piggy back on this post I would say I know I have repented when The sin I am repenting from has helped me to live a more gospel centered life.