Nanowrimo

Lakumi

Basically its a thing that goes on in November in that you write a book (50 000 words) in that month.

Last year I completed it, a story about a woman who became a knight and saved a prince, married him and the two went on other adventures.

This year I am a tad torn, one story a more comedic and silly fantasy sort of story based on my dolls and another I call the "Mormons in Space" story (basically the future and what the LDS church is like then, and two elder's encounter with some dangerous aliens) It has a happy ending.

Anyone heard of this/taken part in this before?

Basically its a thing that goes on in November in that you write a book (50 000 words) in that month.

Last year I completed it, a story about a woman who became a knight and saved a prince, married him and the two went on other adventures.

This year I am a tad torn, one story a more comedic and silly fantasy sort of story based on my dolls and another I call the "Mormons in Space" story (basically the future and what the LDS church is like then, and two elder's encounter with some dangerous aliens) It has a happy ending.

Anyone heard of this/taken part in this before?

:D!!!

We used to do (a variation) of this when I was still homeschooling ... And could actually block the time. I miss it. It's a radically different medium than the usual writing-for-publication (silliness abounds!). My 8yo did a horror movie instead of a novel (love) and my 9yo did a Videogame the last year we did MuNaNoWriMo (Mutant).

Sigh. Now we have schedules. That must be adhered to. Sniff. I soooooooo miss homeschooling.

It takes me about a year to put a novel together from start to finish (400-500p)... Which makes me something of a slow writer. But since I can't write full time, as I have to fulfill the sacred duty of filling Quin's belly... in THEORY I should be able to legit up a 50k novella in a month. But I've never actually finished in a month. It always seems to be December when we wrap things up. Like late December. Xmas tree drug out to the curb kind of December (meaning January... But I don't believe in January until the 15th). Because its still holiday-high. Possibly once in February. (Shhhhh).

Deadlines need to come with paychecks. Or death. To be strictly adhered to in my house.

Q

As an amateur writer there is no way I can put out 50,000 words in one month. I just don't have the time with family, work, church, etc. Maybe when I retire (in 2023). Finished a 70,000 word story a few months back - took me two years to write. I usually work on 3 or 4 stories at a time so it wasn't constant on the one, but I get stuck and move on to something else and then come back when I have more ideas.

I've never successfully outlined a full story before writing it and stuck to it, as my characters always develop ideas of their own and usually take the story in ways I never dreamed of.

Example: in the above story I had planned on killing off a certain character fairly early in the story, I found he was so interesting that he became one of the main characters, the story wouldn't have been nearly so good if he hadn't convinced me to give him a chance.

Well methinks I have decided a story for nanowrimo, it is, somewhat based on the BJD's and the characters I have made for them, but is non canon to the other stories.

(For example, some of the characters are different, have different powers and leaves out the Polyamory thing Faeries have, which I am glad to know the word for a marriage with many wives and many husbands all linked together).

Even found someone to draw the cover! It's my most PG story yet.