One man's journey from Muslim to Mormon

skalenfehl

Wow, this is quite a moving story.

I agree with the comment though. This is not true Islam. This is Islam administered by misguided people. It is sad that this still happens in the world today.

Wow, this is quite a moving story.

I agree with the comment though. This is not true Islam. This is Islam administered by misguided people. It is sad that this still happens in the world today.

There is misguided religion everywhere... mind you I have not heard of a Mormon Holy War, I think its the only church that seems to pride itself on its kindness and the fact people haven't been slaughtered in the name of their religion

There is misguided religion everywhere... mind you I have not heard of a Mormon Holy War, I think its the only church that seems to pride itself on its kindness and the fact people haven't been slaughtered in the name of their religion

You know, I have thought of this and I truly believe that there is a big reason why the restoration did not occur until the early 1800's. And one of the reasons is that before that people were not ready to bring forth the audacity of a true church without the need to slaughter in its name...

You know, I have thought of this and I truly believe that there is a big reason why the restoration did not occur until the early 1800's. And one of the reasons is that before that people were not ready to bring forth the audacity of a true church without the need to slaughter in its name...

oh and how, a lot of religions seem afraid almost, and threaten you to join, the LDS church seems confident in itself, least that's the vibes I get when I see the leaders (and right down to the members and missionaries) talk about it.

oh and how, a lot of religions seem afraid almost, and threaten you to join, the LDS church seems confident in itself, least that's the vibes I get when I see the leaders (and right down to the members and missionaries) talk about it.

This was one of the (initially) most attractive things for me.

I grew up travelling.

As an adult, I work travelling.

If I had a dollar for every time I've been told I'm going to burn in hell for not being with x group... I'd be a very wealthy woman.

I knew mormons on and off my whole life.

Was friends in no small part because they held very true to giving others the same respect for their religions (or lack thereof) as they wanted for their own.

When missionaries came around and INVITED (instead of threatening, cajoling, intimidating, demanding, or guilting) ... That kept the door open.

As I find very little ruder than walking into a mans home and telling him which god to worship.

I've always HATED proselytizing for just that reason.

And none too keen on proselytizing religions as a consequence.

(No one was more surprised than I was that I ended up Christian.)

I never knew, before running face first into LDS Proselytizing that it can be done with respect.

Go figure.

Conversion by the sword makes me physically ill.

Whether its done by Christians or Muslims or any other religion... It's just wrong.

"Beatings will continue until morale improves"... Is a hilarious joke, and an insufferable reality.

Which brings me back to the gentleman in this story.

Which ill 2nd post for.

This man is a great deal braver, than I.

There's a tenant in Islam, that denying ones testimony, is a more grievous sin than not having one.

So I can see why, even in the face of terrible consequences, so many devout Muslims DO stand up to be counted with their words & actions upon converting.

Allah demands it, in the way that they have been taught.

And Allah is our Heavenly Father.

We are all in the religion of Abraham.

We worship the same God.

In largely the same ways.

Or, at least, are supposed to.

And, in countless ways do.

I know myself well enough to know that I would not have done as this man did.

And am grateful to MHF for not asking me to.

And am so bone deep sorry that this good man, and people like him, are asked to.

Although I am grateful that there are those, like him, instead of myself.

I am sorry for their suffering.

And grateful for their joy.

Maybe someday those of us who slip silently behind tyranny and those who go toe to toe, can meet in the middle, sans tyrant.

Powerful story.

Thanks for sharing it.

Q