What to expect and aspire to after baptism?

No one has told me anything about what happens after my baptism is complete. I'm not sure what to expect or what I should do. It's coming up very soon and I'm wondering what my next steps are. Frankly I hadn't thought about until today when some things came up at church which left me with some questions once I got home and thought about it more.

Someone mentioned needing a member number to do certain things online. Will that be available to me right away or does it take time to get that? Do I just ask the Ward Clerk or the Bishop?

Also my friend recommended I ask for my patriarchal blessing. How soon can I request this and how do I request this from?

I also saw mention of a limited temple recommend. Can someone explain that to me also?

ETA: Also, how do I pay my tithes? Silly question, I'm sure. I know how much to pay, I'm just not sure where I take it or put it. I saw someone hand the bishop at our ward a tithing envelope today. Is that how everyone usually does it?

Thanks!

Edited by Normandy

Someone mentioned needing a member number to do certain things online. Will that be available to me right away or does it take time to get that? Do I just ask the Ward Clerk or the Bishop?

Your member record Number is created when your membership records are created. This does not happen until you are baptized. Your missionaries will have to submit that. I don't know how long that takes I am guessing a week or two. Once your records are in your number can be gotten from the Ward Clerk

Also my friend recommended I ask for my patriarchal blessing. How soon can I request this and how do I request this from?

This is up to your bishop. He will set the time frame and he will be the one you need to contact to get it started

I also saw mention of a limited temple recommend. Can someone explain that to me also?

Once you are baptized you can do baptisms for the dead in the temple, but not the other temple ordinances (aka limited use recommend). Generally the youth will take trips to the temple to do baptisms for the dead, you might be able to go with them or go on your own

ETA: Also, how do I pay my tithes? Silly question, I'm sure. I know how much to pay, I'm just not sure where I take it or put it. I saw someone hand the bishop at our ward a tithing envelope today. Is that how everyone usually does it?

Near the Bishop's and clerks office of your local ward there should be a little holder with donation slips and envelopes. (If you can't find them ask just about anyone they should know)

You fill out the slip and put your donation and slip into an envelope and seal it. Then you hand it to a member of the bishopric (only one of those three can accept them)

Your first step is to get with your ward mission leader to arrange for new member discussions. If you don't get headway with your ward mission leader to get a plan going, talk to the bishop.

May I suggest reading the Book of Mormon often, making it a daily part of your life. Make it your constant companion. Through diligent study, the Spirit will tell you precisely what to aspire to.

2 Nephi 32

1 And now, behold, my beloved brethren, I suppose that ye ponder somewhat in your hearts concerning that which ye should do after ye have entered in by the way. But, behold, why do ye ponder these things in your hearts?

2 Do ye not remember that I said unto you that after ye had received the Holy Ghost ye could speak with the tongue of angels? And now, how could ye speak with the tongue of angels save it were by the Holy Ghost?

3 Angels speak by the power of the Holy Ghost; wherefore, they speak the words of Christ. Wherefore, I said unto you, feast upon the words of Christ; for behold, the words of Christ will tell you all things what ye should do.

4 Wherefore, now after I have spoken these words, if ye cannot understand them it will be because ye ask not, neither do ye knock; wherefore, ye are not brought into the light, but must perish in the dark.

5 For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.

6 Behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and there will be no more doctrine given until after he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh. And when he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh, the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do.

Normandy, there is a lot you can do. All of it is for your benefit, and I hope you don't see this ever-growing list as over-whelming.

New Member Discussions are good. I would encourage you to participate in them. Also, continue to attend Gospel Principles class and ask questions.

Prepare for being worthy to attend the temple and receive your temple recommend. Along the way, I would also encourage you to obtain a "limited use" recommend and participate in baptisms on behalf of the dead.

Continuing your spiritual journey through The Book of Mormon and further into the Doctrine & Covenants as well as the Pearl of Great Price.

An additional idea, is to ask for a calling. We all need each other, and it is important to feel useful in service. Your first calling may stretch you a bit, but we all grow by doing.

As you continue to grow, be sure to counsel with your Bishop regarding your Patriarchal Blessing. This will be a great experience for you.

Lots to do and much growth ahead.

Welcome to the fold! :)

I asked about the New Convert lessons. I was told a family in the ward would probably do those with me. No one has set up anything though. Are those the same as the New Member Discussions?

They also handed out VT slips today. I didn't get one. I'm assuming I will soon though. Not sure what type of time frame to expect on that.

I really have a strong desire for my Patriarchal Blessing. In my particular situation, I think it will be very comforting to me. I need to try to speak to the Bishop about this. He is so, so busy there was no time today for me to speak with him. Hopefully soon I can inquire more about it.

This is horrible of me, but I don't even remember who our ward mission leader is. There are so many people and titles to try to remember, my brain is overloaded. I'll write that down though and find out next week who it is and how I can contact them. Thanks for that tip!

Edited by Normandy

LOL... I often think of the first year as "Okay, how much do you REALLY mean it?"

My first year was a series of "oops".

My ward split (crazy logistical nightmare, lots and lots falling through the cracks)

My HT was the ONE guy in the Ward I can't stand (not his fault)

The time switched at New Years to a time I couldn't attend for months

My (awesome!) RS visiting teacher / gal-pal moved out of state

I didn't have my "new member lessons" (new convert/ new member disc.) for 14 months

Come to find there were TONS of things I could have been a part of, that I just didn't know about.

The list goes on.

Come to find this is a pretty common occurance.

Some people take it personally or feel abandoned (in part because it DOESN'T always happen, although it IS super common).

I didn't.

I figured. While investigating, the missionaries were there carving space & leading me around.

But in the day to day Church... People have jobs, lives, sick kids, family drama, etc.

And my face wasn't new or "lost looking" anymore, so people assumed I knew what I was supposed to be doing.

LOL. That was rarely the case!

But I did know which room to go to, where to find the loo, how to pass the sacrement, etc... So I blended.

Personally, I spent MUCH of that first year finding balance.

As in how to balance my OWN life, inside the church.

I would have been there every day for hours without that "Okay, breathe" year.

As that's how I do things: school, work, kids, etc... I dive on in.

I'd expected to do the same thing religiously.

HF threw on the breaks.

Nope. Huh-uh. That's not how we're going to do it, this time.

What??? Noooooooooo. Boo.

;)

So, while I was frustrated in the beginning, I grew to really appreciate "slipping through the cracks"... Because it let me get solid in my OWN commitment.

It also taught me to reach out.

Ask what XYZ is, or if I can help with abc, or this/that/etc.

and to not expect perfection.

Amd to have more compassion for others

(Instead of just being upset about what I wasn't getting, to see that maybe others lives weren't all about me. Which, Dont get me wrong, I already KNEW, but I also came from a religious background with full-time priest... Not laity. It was a different mindset to get into.). Okay. They have lives, and that doesn't mean ANYTHING about me! :D

< grin > Also... To feed the Elephants Child... All the young men's/young women's and other "growing up lds" stuff (teachers manuals, student workbooks, reading assignments, etc,) is available online. So I got to do some "catchup" in my own time. Which made the gospel principles & other meetings take on a lot more depth.

Almost magically, at the end of that first year... I got "sucked back in".

This, too, is pretty common.

People who have been "set adrift" after about a year... Are suddenly in the thick of things.

Hence my "Do you reeeally want it?" Designation.

Now, this ISN'T now things always go.

Sometimes all the dominos fall into place, and you're in the thick of things from day 1

Or sometimes you're on your own for a bit.

The way HF works in my life, I got exactly what I needed, although not what I wanted.

Not sure how he works in yours!

So I can't tell you what to expect, just sharing my own experience.

Q