Wish I wanted to quit smoking

melmck2

I'm Mormon and I haven't smoked in year and it has for some reason become a draw for me the past few days. My husband is furious. But I can't say I'll quit. I feel like I should leave him to spare him the agony of finding out I'm still smoking. I am lost. I wish I were dead. I deal like that'd cause a lot less trouble. I know in a child of God and all that but I'm still so tired of struggling. It's been YEARS now and I'm tired of it. I've let everyone down. I feel like I'm too have a family. My husband I'd mad I won't even try but I feel like there's no point. I feel like giving up. I'm so selfish.

I feel like I should leave him to spare him the agony of finding out I'm still smoking.

Unless there is something seriously odd in your marriage the agony of divorce, for both of you, will be significantly worse. It's kinda like proposing to deal with the pain of a blistered finger by chopping off your arm with a rusty spoon.

I'm Mormon and I haven't smoked in year and it has for some reason become a draw for me the past few days. My husband is furious. But I can't say I'll quit. I feel like I should leave him to spare him the agony of finding out I'm still smoking. I am lost. I wish I were dead. I deal like that'd cause a lot less trouble. I know in a child of God and all that but I'm still so tired of struggling. It's been YEARS now and I'm tired of it. I've let everyone down. I feel like I'm too have a family. My husband I'd mad I won't even try but I feel like there's no point. I feel like giving up. I'm so selfish.

You will always have the temptation to smoke I guess. But why go back to it?? The Lord doesn't want us to smoke and now many yrs later we know that medical science has proven that it is soooo bad for our health and for others who are around us. And it smells alful, it's in your clothes, your hair, your body If your husband was doing something to harm his health, would't you be disappointed or hurt you'd want him to try to stay healthy because you love him and he wants this for you as well. Don't give up on yourself and don't give up on your family. We all have struggles of some sort or another.

Think about what made you go back to smoking after a yr away from it? It might help!! Pray to the Lord for help with this addiction or anything alse He's their to help us!!!! Make this New Year the best one yet!!!! Happy 2014!!!

p.s. u can win the race!!

You'd rather die than give up smoking? A little melodramatic, don't you think? You would abandon your family over this? Seriously?

You're feeling sorry for yourself and don't want to even bother to try. So what is your purpose for posting here? To garner sympathy?

There are all sorts of health reasons to quit, do those mean nothing to you? How about the fact that it's against the Word of Wisdom? Is that not motivation, either?

I knew a woman who left the church for 35 years and was a smoker when she came back. She was serious about her covenants and re-activation. She had a blessing and never smoked again.

My own mother quit after 50 years of so. She used Chantix and determination.

You can quit. But the first step is WANTING to quit.

Thank you everyone. I have Major Depressive Disorder and I've been struggling with that. I saw my psychiatrist today and she started me on a new medication and I'm very hopeful about it. I guess I was just looking for anyone who might understand how I was feeling but I realize it was not normal and a little crazy. I appreciate those who honestly answered my questions. It's nice knowing I have a place to come when I'm struggling. Thank you.

You should try the church's addiction recovery program. You are in a shame cycle right now and will continue to smoke and seek other forms of "Instant Gratification" until you break said cycle. Also it is a bad ideas for other to perpetuate this type of cycle as it accomplishes nothing positive.

• 2 weeks later...

I understand where you're coming from I really do. Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things I've had to overcome but I quit because I didn't want my kids to be around it point blank. You have to put the needs of someone else over yourself. Even if your husband isn't the one who is addicted. You smoking is detrimental to your family in many different ways. Smoking will kill you! I also work in a hospital in critical care. I've seen the horrible effects of smoking.

Nicotine = Stimulant

Which means next time you DO start craving cigarettes to he point of actually smoking (or about to, but not the random Tuesday cravings, Kwim?)...

Ring your Dr. up

... As your meds probably need tweaking. The craving being your body's way of trying to stay alive / climb out of a depression. If you were an ex-rock climber, or sex addict, or coffee fiend, or cutter... Then your body would be craving THOSE things (all stimulants) to boost out of a depression.

So.... Next time... Instead of feeling unworthy : try seeing it as an early warning system.

All my best, sweetheart:

Q

Satan magnifies our struggles. Get on your knees. Get the help of God, Then Go fix the problems. (paraphrase from quote by Marion D. Hanks). Everything in your post points to Satan helping to focus inwards and magnifying everything that could possibly be or could be wrong.

I don't agree that you're selfish. I think you're overwhelmed. Addiction to nicotine is more than addiction to just nicotine. The tobacco industry have put other chemicals in cigarettes that are much more addicting. You need to seek help. I've heard good things about Chantix.

But nothing will help until you want to quit. However, leaving your marriage over smoking seems like the cowards way out.