When you don't recognize a phone number...

Backroads

That is amazing. How is this done?

It shouldn't be possible. Not for answering the call, at least, so I suspect there has been some confusion somewhere along the line.

Calling back is a different kettle of fish entirely, and goes without saying that you don't call back international or premium rate numbers just because they called you.

The only exception I can think of for those living in the US in the normal charge that you'd get for answering any international (or local) call, but that cost goes entirely to your local phone operators and not the caller, so it's doubtful that was part of the original plan that the scammers behind this conceived.

Either way, the phone operators of the victims of this scam and those like it have a lot to answer for. They should have dedicated departments for dealing with scams like this, monitoring traffic passing through their exchanges and looking for, and blocking any unusual traffic. Thousands of calls within a short period of time to residents in Utah from Grenada should have been flagged quickly, investigated and blocked. It certainly shouldn't require the local media outlets to spread warning of this scam in order for it to be stopped.

It shouldn't be possible. Not for answering the call, at least, so I suspect there has been some confusion somewhere along the line.

Calling back is a different kettle of fish entirely, and goes without saying that you don't call back international or premium rate numbers just because they called you.

The only exception I can think of for those living in the US in the normal charge that you'd get for answering any international (or local) call, but that cost goes entirely to your local phone operators and not the caller, so it's doubtful that was part of the original plan that the scammers behind this conceived.

Either way, the phone operators of the victims of this scam and those like it have a lot to answer for. They should have dedicated departments for dealing with scams like this, monitoring traffic passing through their exchanges and looking for, and blocking any unusual traffic. Thousands of calls within a short period of time to residents in Utah from Grenada should have been flagged quickly, investigated and blocked. It certainly shouldn't require the local media outlets to spread warning of this scam in order for it to be stopped.

My husband thinks along the same lines as you.

...what to you do?

This is prompted by a Facebook discussion. Is it polite to answer the phone no matter the number whenever possible (so we're not dragging in inappropriate cell phone behavior here) or is it okay to ignore, at least temporarily, a number you don't recognize? If you miss a call from an unrecognized number, do you call back?

I'm the type that believes voice mail exists for a reason and I like screening my calls. I rarely answer a phone call from a strange number and I usually only call back missed calls that bother to leave a message applicable to me. I know other people believe it's rude to not answer the phone and to not call back a missed call even from a strange number.

Where do you lie on the spectrum?

I ignore any number I don't recognize and will not call it back. Same deal on VM. I don't like it either, because the people that leave messages there are offended when it's not returned. I bought the expensive phone I have for MY convenience, and not that of others.:eek:

It depends. The home phone doesn't have caller ID,

You still have a home phone?:P Mine's soon going the way of the Dodo bird. People I want to talk to have my cell #. I don't answer it anymore-ever.

My wife still does, not quite sure why. Can't even call out of the area code with it anymore!:o

I kept getting phone calls from an unrecognized number. No message. I didn't call back. Eventually I got an email from CapitalOne telling me one of my credit cards had been used in California. I am in Iowa.

That experience notwithstanding, I don't call back. If you can't leave a message and I don't know the number, I don't call back.

I really dont know why I still have a home phone. I dont have caller id, and the only people that call it are my MIL and the automated message from the pharmacy. Otherwise, it's just there for 911. So, yes I get it, but I have a 95% chance of knowing who it is.

cell phone is tough. I got a voice message recently saying "Hey, just returning your call <name I don't know>... blah blah" I just ignored it. Is that bad?