The child would need to be taught by the missionaries with the parent's permission and in their presence. (Missionaries should not be alone with children.)

The child would need to be assured of transportation to and from Sunday meetings.

The child may need help on occasion to do talks in primary, so may need help from a parent for this.

The child would need to be interviewed for baptism, and the Bishop & Primary Presidents to be aware of the situation.

There may be more, but this is the minimum I'm thinking of.

The variation is in "mother wants nothing to do with it" can have different meanings. It could mean that Mother doesn't want to be baptized herself. It could mean that anything - meetings, talks, scriptures, etc., she doesn't want to hear about herself. Basically, one would have to know where mother 'really stands'.

Well, as the story goes, she thinks the church doesn't have any meaning in her life and doesn't feel like being involved with a religion of any sort.

She would help her daughter with things, but wouldn't go to church herself (though would walk her there and home from there) and would sit with her during the missionaries' teachings.

She is supportive and encourages her daughter, ultimately, to do what makes her happy.

Well, as the story goes, she thinks the church doesn't have any meaning in her life and doesn't feel like being involved with a religion of any sort.

She would help her daughter with things, but wouldn't go to church herself (though would walk her there and home from there) and would sit with her during the missionaries' teachings.

She is supportive and encourages her daughter, ultimately, to do what makes her happy.

If Mom, is willing to give permission and participate to the degree you've described there would be no obstacle to the child being baptized. Usually there are ward members who are willing to step in and help out too.

I wonder though, if Mom would be willing to go listen when her child gives a talk or sings for Mother's Day in Sacrament meeting? Its usually important to the child that a parent be there.

If Mom, is willing to give permission and participate to the degree you've described there would be no obstacle to the child being baptized. Usually there are ward members who are willing to step in and help out too.

I wonder though, if Mom would be willing to go listen when her child gives a talk or sings for Mother's Day in Sacrament meeting? Its usually important to the child that a parent be there.

Yes, she would, beliefs or not, it's still her child and she wants to be supportive

say a child, 8-9 wants to be a member, her mother wants nothing to do with it, but has no objection with her daughter being a member, how would that go?
Then you'd have little Loudmouthy. That's basically my story. My dad was a crotchety old antireligious crumudgeon, who intentionally came to Utah to find "one of those mormon women" to marry. He found my mom, who was a jackmormon who smoked and drank and married my dad, partially as a way to rebel from her sturdy pioneer stock-descended parents. But she figured I might as well go to church, so I went. I walked (it wasn't far), and sometimes people would give me rides.

A ward full of people who saw little quiet introverted loudmouthy just show up to church on his own, and leave on his own, generated some fun and memorable stories. I encountered a bazillion looks over the years that I eventually learned to interpret in retrospect as "worried anxious concern with a little bit of embarrassment over not knowing what to say", because people didn't really have a way to explain me, and I was so darned introverted and quiet they couldn't get anything by talking to me, so they were forced to fill the gaps in their knowledge with all sorts of strange notions. Somehow one of my bishops got the impression that I didn't have a father, and tried to sympathize with me about it in one interview.

But overall, people loved me and were nice, I had a standard range of stellar-to-less than great teachers and home teachers, and most of the rest of my experience was basically dictated by my own introverted nature.

This character isn't introverted, quite the opposite-her mother is rather introverted, and her eldest sister has a rather harsh reputation in the neighbourhood (and by extention ward) but the two siblings are very different.

In the (what I call the Tales of the Mormon Chronicles-one part I posted here) the family had met most of the ward at a picnic one of the members invited them to, as to try and get them to know their neighbours.

It was... full of challenges, but that is where the character, Lilith, met the missionaries and became interested in the whole thing.

I can certainly imagine people's thoughts towards her, the kind and extroverted child within a rather mean and introverted family, who seem to have strange beliefs and customs.

Feel free to grab experiences from my life as sources of ideas then.

Most mormon adults were content to just get to know me as much as they could, and just be people. Most teachers and home teachers were caring and considerate. I had a few genuine friends as I grew up in the church. As for the fun stories, I've already told you about the bishop. Other stories:

* The Boy Scouts ran an aluminum recycling fundraiser, and the whole troop came over after I told them my family saved cans and were happy to donate them. Imagine their faces when they discovered the cans were all beer cans. Your imagination probably closely aligns with the actual reactions. (They did take all the cans, with as much gratitude as they could produce while trying to ignore the stench of stale beer.)

* I eventually went inactive in my late teens. Our saintly wonderful hometeachers had to run the gauntlet of my crotchety father, and my surly sarcastic self, in order to get to my mom who was the only person that wanted them there.

* My dad enjoyed testing people to see what sort of people they were. Whenever he met a new mormon, the first words out of his mouth were "I'm Jesus Christ you know". He didn't believe it obviously, but it was a good way to sort the angry or offended people off to the side where they could be ignored, and identify the good-natured and interested people which he'd get to know better.

* He was content to have me go to church, until I wanted to pay tithing, then he hit the roof and had a big problem. (Although ultimately he let me do it.)

Also, this link is an important read. Everyone should read it, not just people looking for inspiration for stories.

It is interesting to see people's reactions about things, I didn't want the cliche total "omg" style reaction to hearing about polyamory in the story.

Though that could open another question, if you met a new neighbour and, during conversation she talks about her past, including marriage, in which she was married to both a man and a woman at the same time, how would you react to that?

Before I met my wife, I'd probably react judgmentally and negatively. But her Christlike love of people has rubbed off on me over a decade. So now, it would just be something to know about one of the many unique people in my daily life. I'd be interested to know what she thought about her past, her perspectives, the ups and downs of such a lifestyle, and what she wanted in her future.

I believe we all have the Light of Christ in us, her too, and would be interested to hear how that light worked in her.

Before I met my wife, I'd probably react judgmentally and negatively. But her Christlike love of people has rubbed off on me over a decade. So now, it would just be something to know about one of the many unique people in my daily life. I'd be interested to know what she thought about her past, her perspectives, the ups and downs of such a lifestyle, and what she wanted in her future.

I believe we all have the Light of Christ in us, her too, and would be interested to hear how that light worked in her.

Syrinx also isn't human, none of them are, she and two of her children are forest beings or faeries.

They feel above humans (due to their extremely long life, ability to fly and use psychic powers such as telepathy and telekinesis, kinship with trees and animals, and are not limited to physical existance) and to be said they were created or should obey a human deity would be grounds to be killed (they have their own God/Goddess named Lokasenna, who lives in a giant tree and does things like mass weddings and ceremonial bathings of seedlings - baby faeries)

Polyamory is the norm in their society, which is basically stone age-they don't even wear clothes, everything they need to survive is given by the forest, they desire to build nothing, write nothing, only the Royal family is chronicled, and they are more like a clergy.

Marriage is much more loosely defined to them then us, generally it is two people who love eachother, often children are involved and they are loyal to eachother and sleep with no other.

Friends are friends, partners are partners.

To Faeries the two cross and mingle, if you love someone (not related to you) in any way-you marry them.

You marry all your friends, you marry any lovers, it is really simply a deloration of love, since it's a mass dance around a magical lake with the Lord and Lady Lokasenna in audience.

The world she was married in was so vastly different then ours, to her that is the most normal thing in the world.

She is more willing to adapt to other customs, where her (faerie) children aren't.

Lilith on the other hand, is a Siv, a race very indepth and numbering only 13.

They were made with the soul intention to obliterate all life, and possess powers unfathomable to anyone. They are considered the highest beings in the universe, besides the three "Demi Gods" (children of One, Lokasenna and her two siblings Yokoshima and Kaunis) and the aformentioned One (the creator of all)

Edited by Lakumi

Here's a question for y'all, say a child, 8-9 wants to be a member, her mother wants nothing to do with it, but has no objection with her daughter being a member, how would that go?
We recently moved and now live next to a mother and her two children, 8 and 10 years old. We asked this family if they wanted to go to Church with us. The mother said she didn't but the two children wanted to go. The mother said that was okay, but she doesn't want anything to do with the Church or any Church, but didn't mind if her children went with us.

So... we took them each Sunday. Every Sunday after Church we have a big BBQ for anyone to come...all five Missionaries usually come over. So...while they were there and the mother and children were there, my husband mentioned to the family if they ever thought about being baptized. Both children said they wanted to be.

The missionaries asked the mother if they could give the discussions to the children and she was fine with it...but it had to be done at our home. So for the next month and a half we had the discussion at our home. The mother came to the first three of them...then she didn't come for any more.

The children were baptized about 3 weeks ago. Their mother and grandfather came to the baptism and the mother went on Sunday when they were confirmed. She has not been back or to any other times that we have the Missionaries over...they are here at least once a week for a meal or just to visit with this children.

The mother has nothing to do with getting them to Church...we take them. And, when we were out of town last week they didn't go because she didn't take them and we were so busy getting things ready for leaving town we didn't think about setting it up for someone to get them there.

So... Yes, this can be done. BUT... it's really important to get the Ward involved with children like these two. We will only be here for my husband's work for maybe another 4 months. If the Ward doesn't step up to the plate and assist with getting the children to Church...they will be lost because the mother will not do it.

Praying for these children and all children like them that want to go to Church but the family doesn't want to be involved.

The picture is of the children just before they were baptized, my husband, and me. We feel so blessed by these little ones.

corysarahbaptism.png

As time goes on, I do plan to have more... normal questions as there are normal people in this story, the main human protagonists are their Mormon neighbours and the first "chapter/story" is pretty much entirely about them and their very human problems and joys.

Which seems to be the trickest to write, I'm not a father, though I do have a father!

Karate? No. We're interested in having our kids learn to defend themselves, and we prefer Krav Maga or Kenpo to Karate.

We try, health and energy levels permitting, to reach out to our new neighbors, yes.

well karate was an example-any sort of martial arts save cage fighting

what ways, I have always been distrustful to neighbours lol