Insomnia news

Dr T

Psych Central News

(Psych Central News) New research has found that people with chronic insomnia have some key differences in the part of the brain that controls movement. “Insomnia is not a nighttime disorder,” said Rachel E. Salas, M.D., an assistant professor of neurology at the Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine. “It’s a 24-hour brain condition, like a light switch […]

Researchers Identify Brain Differences Linked to Insomnia | Psych Central News

Edited by Dr T

Interesting study. I read a study recently, unfortunately I don't have the link, where people who chronically did not get their 7 to 8 hours of sleep at night were more prone to getting Alzheimer's.

My mother tells me that prior to my dad dying, she needed her eight hours of sleep every night. After he died, she couldn't sleep more than four hours at night. She was 38 years old at the time of his death. She is now 91 and has Alzheimer's. She ate healthy and stayed active all those years. She could never just sit and be idle. She always had to be doing something. There is no family history of Alzheimer's in her family. I wonder if the many years of only getting 4 hours of sleep at night is the culprit.

I've seen it done at UNI (University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute) when I was there and worked with people that had electroconvolsive therapy ECT. It did mess up memory but helped with unresponsive depression.

I've seen it done at UNI (University of Utah Neuropsychiatric Institute) when I was there and worked with people that had electroconvolsive therapy ECT. It did mess up memory but helped with unresponsive depression.

I know of two people who go thru this in their battle of depression.

Interesting study. I read a study recently, unfortunately I don't have the link, where people who chronically did not get their 7 to 8 hours of sleep at night were more prone to getting Alzheimer's.

My mother tells me that prior to my dad dying, she needed her eight hours of sleep every night. After he died, she couldn't sleep more than four hours at night. She was 38 years old at the time of his death. She is now 91 and has Alzheimer's. She ate healthy and stayed active all those years. She could never just sit and be idle. She always had to be doing something. There is no family history of Alzheimer's in her family. I wonder if the many years of only getting 4 hours of sleep at night is the culprit.

Might be.

Hmmmm. Does "administering electric shocks" in the same thought as "to the brain" make anyone else a wee but nervous?

Heck. Electric shocks, period.

Shudder.

Q

It's actually a fairly standard treatment for schizophrenia. But the shocks given aren't along the lines of the negatively electro shock therapies we hear horror stories about. These are pretty low voltage shocks aimed at redirecting synapse patterns. It is not behavioral therapy. While it might seem barbaric (because of past uses of such therapies), there actually is a body of evidence justifying its use for certain diagnoses.